Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2015, 09:50 AM

112 posts, read 200,990 times

Advertisements

Anybody concerned about rising crime in Berkeley County (W.Va.)? This past week, the Subway restaurant in the Old Courthouse Square shopping center had an armed robbery as well as the Hampton Inn in Inwood. There was also a home invasion in Martinsburg over the weekend. Seems like armed robberies and home invasions occur quite frequently in the county. Couple of major drug busts occurred a few weeks ago as well. Plus, Berkeley County leads the state in heroin-related overdose deaths. Wasn't that way 10 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2015, 11:28 AM

267 posts, read 311,239 times
No matter where we all live in WV, no matter who we are. At any time, crime happens everywhere.

Old 01-22-2015, 03:13 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
I've noticed the crime increase as well. Even Charles Town had a murder or two the other night. Seems every night or two something is robbed in Martinsburg. I'm sure it will settle down again soon.

Old 01-22-2015, 06:17 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
I-81 is a blessing, and I-81 is a curse. I-81 brings a lot of crime to Winchester, Martinsburg, Hagerstown, and Chambersburg.

Old 01-22-2015, 08:53 PM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
I-81 is the busiest highway in our state for a reason. Being DC/Baltimore suburbs, it results in great growth there. Along with that growth tags along the garbage that seeks to exploit it. It is bedroom community type of growth seeking to avoid the crime in the central, more populated parts of the area. As the more affluent, productive part moves out, the more sinister exploitive elements will follow.

Old 01-23-2015, 05:06 AM

There was a shooting at the Martinsburg MARC train station Sunday night. The local news said the victim was just sitting in the train station minding his own business when someone walked up and shot at him three times through the window. The victim was hit once. I get your point about the interstates (I-70 and I-81) which brings direct access to our communities from Baltimore and Washington D.C. Nevertheless, crime seems higher in Martinsburg than other comparable sized cities. I remember reading an article in the Journal-News last year that talked about a rapid increase in violent crime in Berkeley County over the past few years. The Journal-News also had a recent series of stories talking about the heroin epidemic in the Eastern Panhandle. I think the rising crime rates are directly tied to the high rate of illicit drug use in our county as well as a overall lack of police resources. I hardly ever see police cars patrolling our streets. There was an article in the local news recently about state troopers leaving Berkeley County due to the higher cost of living here.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:36 AM

Just read there was an armed robbery at Comfort Inn in Martinsburg, W.Va. last night....the fourth armed robbery this week (three businesses and one residence). This hotel is about 1/4 mile from the state police barracks. Being so close to a police station, how could anyone get away? Probably no police on duty.

Old 01-23-2015, 06:39 AM

10,147 posts, read 15,044,974 times
My daughter and her family live in Martinsburg, and she says the same thing. The once conservative, bucolic and historical city's character has totally changed in the past 25 years. This growth will only continue inabated. This does have positive aspects, but in Martinsburg's case enough is enough.

Old 01-23-2015, 03:24 PM

461 posts, read 1,284,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTMountaineer View Post
I-81 is the busiest highway in our state for a reason. Being DC/Baltimore suburbs, it results in great growth there. Along with that growth tags along the garbage that seeks to exploit it. It is bedroom community type of growth seeking to avoid the crime in the central, more populated parts of the area. As the more affluent, productive part moves out, the more sinister exploitive elements will follow.
Very good points! Frederick, Hagerstown, Chambersburg, Cumberland, and Winchester all seem to have spikes in crime recently. The criminal element has moved west.

Old 01-23-2015, 08:55 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,605,588 times
Martinsburg, it seems, is an area where people move if they cannot afford the closer D.C. suburbs. That has been a great vehicle for growth, Martinsburg attracts a lot of middle class and high class residents as well, but the area seems to have a lot of homes built specifically for lower income residents. Proper planning could probably help keep crime down, but West Virginia is notorious for its lack of developmental planning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia