Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2016, 08:15 PM

51 posts, read 92,397 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
They are so much lower because the area is a pretty low cost of living area.....it has been that way for a very long time. While they have negatives the plants have kept the area from falling even lower.

People aren't fleeing the area.......those houses are gorgeous but with all the newer construction there aren't a long line of people that want to maintain these old houses.
where I live now these homes would be 3 to 4 times the price. I love older homes, previously lived in 2 historic ones but the prices I see online for Parkersburg make me anxious to see them, but also worried I will be disappointed. thank you for your response.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2016, 06:34 AM

1 posts, read 2,304 times
Default Welcome to Parkersburg!

Hello ChesterVA,

I live in a Victorian home in the Julia-Ann Square Historic District. I believe you will absolutely love Parkersburg! We bought our home last year and I love it here. As for Victorian homes, there are plenty to pick from here, and yes, they are what you are probably looking for. Juliana, Ann, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th are where you want in the historic district. Market is nice also. This was the #1 reason we bought our home in WV (also COL). My home is located on Juliana Street in the historic district and it is lovely (proud mama). We would have paid $450-$500Kk or more for a home this size (5600 sq. ft.) where I live. Yes, it needs work, but I always remember the price tag. You have to believe in lots of elbow grease and sweat equity to buy one of these Victorians. My home will be gorgeous when finished and I know it will be well worth the wait. In my eyes, she is a beautiful "old gal" now and I am prepared to make her shine again. Be aware, you will drive by some run down homes when you come into town, but you cannot help that. It takes all kinds to make the world go around and not everyone has the same amount of money as others. Just remember that and also remember that Parkersburg is a very old city. If you are looking for all those fancy shopping outlets and organic food malls, you will not find it here. Think of small town feel, but with nice shopping. It is not over-the-top and glamorous like some cities; it is just perfect Parkersburg! Think like this...it is like living in a very small town with bigger city amenities. I am sure people will laugh at me when I say this, but Parkersburg-Vienna has a great amount of shopping compared to other areas. For example: lots of restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback, Cheddars, Applebees, Panera Bread, Ruby Tuesdays, etc.), a very nice and clean mall (JC Penney, Belk, Sears, etc., both Home Depot and Lowes (you will need those with your Victorian), 12-cinema movie theater, and did I mention lots of places to go eat. The historic district does have lots of rules, so please be aware of it. You just cannot throw up a chain-length fence or put a metal fence in your backyard. I am not saying you would, but real estate agents are not always honest about these things. They expect you to look into it yourself. There are only a couple of houses for sale on Juliana right now. I know one does not have much of a yard (no place for one), one has a small yard with a garage, and the 3rd home has space for a garage. I'm not looking, so there might be more. Garages are "gold" in the historic district because there is only street parking for a lot of the homes. You have to be creative in the district, but once again, any construction has to go with your home/era and be approved by the district. Oh! There is a really cool house on the corner of 9th and Juliana. It is not a Victorian, but it is so neat. One word to describe the home is "unique". Our home was off the market and I had a real estate agent contact the owner to see if he was interested (it had been on the market for 3 years previously) in showing it to us. He did and we bought it. I suggest doing your homework and look at past listings. You might find something different like I did. People are very friendly in this area. I have found my neighbors to be very quiet and everyone just keeps to their own business. From the historic district, you can walk to the post office, grab a bite to eat downtown, go to the coffee shop, etc. It is nice to walk everywhere with all the sidewalks and stop lights. If you are a fan of public transportation, you will be remarkably surprised with this city's transportation system. Twice on the hour daily Mon.-Sat. from 6:00-6:00. There is even a hourly loop service in the evenings but not sure of the times. I use it because I hate mall traffic and I always feel safe. Just check the times...I do not work for the transportation service and do not know all the times exactly. Low crime, nice weather, 4 seasons if that matters, nice parks, and beautiful scenery. I could go on and on, but take this from a transplant from the South. This is absolutely the best place to be and Victorian homes at prices you will love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 04-01-2016, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj26101 View Post
Hello ChesterVA,

I live in a Victorian home in the Julia-Ann Square Historic District. I believe you will absolutely love Parkersburg! We bought our home last year and I love it here. As for Victorian homes, there are plenty to pick from here, and yes, they are what you are probably looking for. Juliana, Ann, 9th, 10th, 11th, 13th are where you want in the historic district. Market is nice also. This was the #1 reason we bought our home in WV (also COL). My home is located on Juliana Street in the historic district and it is lovely (proud mama). We would have paid $450-$500Kk or more for a home this size (5600 sq. ft.) where I live. Yes, it needs work, but I always remember the price tag. You have to believe in lots of elbow grease and sweat equity to buy one of these Victorians. My home will be gorgeous when finished and I know it will be well worth the wait. In my eyes, she is a beautiful "old gal" now and I am prepared to make her shine again. Be aware, you will drive by some run down homes when you come into town, but you cannot help that. It takes all kinds to make the world go around and not everyone has the same amount of money as others. Just remember that and also remember that Parkersburg is a very old city. If you are looking for all those fancy shopping outlets and organic food malls, you will not find it here. Think of small town feel, but with nice shopping. It is not over-the-top and glamorous like some cities; it is just perfect Parkersburg! Think like this...it is like living in a very small town with bigger city amenities. I am sure people will laugh at me when I say this, but Parkersburg-Vienna has a great amount of shopping compared to other areas. For example: lots of restaurants (Red Lobster, Olive Garden, Outback, Cheddars, Applebees, Panera Bread, Ruby Tuesdays, etc.), a very nice and clean mall (JC Penney, Belk, Sears, etc., both Home Depot and Lowes (you will need those with your Victorian), 12-cinema movie theater, and did I mention lots of places to go eat. The historic district does have lots of rules, so please be aware of it. You just cannot throw up a chain-length fence or put a metal fence in your backyard. I am not saying you would, but real estate agents are not always honest about these things. They expect you to look into it yourself. There are only a couple of houses for sale on Juliana right now. I know one does not have much of a yard (no place for one), one has a small yard with a garage, and the 3rd home has space for a garage. I'm not looking, so there might be more. Garages are "gold" in the historic district because there is only street parking for a lot of the homes. You have to be creative in the district, but once again, any construction has to go with your home/era and be approved by the district. Oh! There is a really cool house on the corner of 9th and Juliana. It is not a Victorian, but it is so neat. One word to describe the home is "unique". Our home was off the market and I had a real estate agent contact the owner to see if he was interested (it had been on the market for 3 years previously) in showing it to us. He did and we bought it. I suggest doing your homework and look at past listings. You might find something different like I did. People are very friendly in this area. I have found my neighbors to be very quiet and everyone just keeps to their own business. From the historic district, you can walk to the post office, grab a bite to eat downtown, go to the coffee shop, etc. It is nice to walk everywhere with all the sidewalks and stop lights. If you are a fan of public transportation, you will be remarkably surprised with this city's transportation system. Twice on the hour daily Mon.-Sat. from 6:00-6:00. There is even a hourly loop service in the evenings but not sure of the times. I use it because I hate mall traffic and I always feel safe. Just check the times...I do not work for the transportation service and do not know all the times exactly. Low crime, nice weather, 4 seasons if that matters, nice parks, and beautiful scenery. I could go on and on, but take this from a transplant from the South. This is absolutely the best place to be and Victorian homes at prices you will love!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you for all that information ! I was going to be in Parkersburg with a realtor this coming weekend but unfortunately have to work so now I have to wait till my vacation in May. there are 3 homes on my list right on Juliana, 1103, 901 (i believe this is the unique home you are writing about) and 931. Plus 1361 Market and a new listing 420 13th. Parkersburg sounds very much like a place I would like to live, my life has always centered around my home and after previously living in 2 historic homes in Petersburg Virginia, but now living in the suburbs, I would like to go back to an older home with character. It is fine with me to drive into Charleston for my fancier needs (gourmet foods to cook with) but Parkersburg sounds like it has all i would need for day to day living. if you know anything about any of the homes I've mentioned I'd love to hear your opinions. The pictures I have seen of the historic district show it to be very beautiful. thank you again for filling me in.

Old 04-02-2016, 06:31 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,231,797 times
I love the house at 901 Juliana. The house on 13th St is a bit of an enigma.......there is a small group of homes right there that the owners have done a great job fixing up.....it wasn't all that long ago that they were getting pretty run down. As you have seen, not much money for what you are getting. In another part of the country for what you get you would pay many, many, many times more.

Just being honest.....the area around it is some of the least desirable which is why the price is low. It's kind of hard to explain to someone not familiar. Within walking distance you will find abandoned drug houses..... There are houses not far that you can buy for $5000-$10,000. Now that sounds bad but I find this true for most of WV........leave people alone and they will leave you alone. While people will leave other people alone, the area make up is made up by many people that will report anything they see that's not right. They don't care if you are a meth addict or alcoholic as long as you keep to yourself. LOL

Mess with other people's stuff and you are going to find the police at your front door.

Behind the house on 13th (not really visable from the house) is a very historical cemetery......many of the earliest inhabitants and founders of the area are buried there.

Have you seen this one?

1121 Ann St, Parkersburg, WV 26101 | MLS #240881 | Zillow

Old 04-02-2016, 07:21 PM

Quote:
I love the house at 901 Juliana. The house on 13th St is a bit of an enigma.......there is a small group of homes right there that the owners have done a great job fixing up.....it wasn't all that long ago that they were getting pretty run down. As you have seen, not much money for what you are getting. In another part of the country for what you get you would pay many, many, many times more.

Just being honest.....the area around it is some of the least desirable which is why the price is low. It's kind of hard to explain to someone not familiar. Within walking distance you will find abandoned drug houses..... There are houses not far that you can buy for $5000-$10,000. Now that sounds bad but I find this true for most of WV........leave people alone and they will leave you alone. While people will leave other people alone, the area make up is made up by many people that will report anything they see that's not right. They don't care if you are a meth addict or alcoholic as long as you keep to yourself. LOL

Mess with other people's stuff and you are going to find the police at your front door.

Behind the house on 13th (not really visable from the house) is a very historical cemetery......many of the earliest inhabitants and founders of the area are buried there.

Have you seen this one?

1121 Ann St, Parkersburg, WV 26101 | MLS #240881 | Zillow
about 1121 Ann....yes, I love that one too ! It is kind of large though, I think the size and the slate roof is why it isn't at the top of my list. 1103 Juliana (smaller then the home on Ann) is the home i really want to see although my understanding is it has been vacant for more then 3 years. I would like just a small yard and a corner lot but the condition of the home is of the greatest importance to me.
I do thank you for being honest about the neighborhoods. I have heard about the drugs and the meth in these small cities and towns but I always check everything out thoroughly. I have no problem knocking on doors and asking neighbors what it is like to live there. It couldn't possibly be worse then Petersburg Virginia and I lived there 16 years. I have already explored small towns in Virginia with inexpensive old homes but once i get that "Petersburg" feeling it gets crossed off my list. For me it really depends on how close the bad homes are to the nice ones. I have to ask myself would I feel safe walking around with my Nikon taking pictures ? Will i be living in fear ? Still, I'm excited to explore it. Thank you for this further information.

Old 04-02-2016, 09:46 PM

I will say that 1103 Juliana doesn't appear empty (which means nothing). I drive by it quite often. Overall the worse parts of Parkersburg isn't as bad as regular areas of many other cities.

Old 04-03-2016, 05:55 AM

Quote:
I will say that 1103 Juliana doesn't appear empty (which means nothing). I drive by it quite often. Overall the worse parts of Parkersburg isn't as bad as regular areas of many other cities.
well that is promising. The realtor who is the current listing agent told me the owners haven't lived there in about 3 1/2 years. the online pictures show it to be vacant but it's nice to hear they are keeping it up.
my big worry with any of these homes are the utilities. my current home is 2550 square feet and all electric. Ceiling heights are only 8 feet and my average electric bill for the year is $180 a month. I have only a water bill because I have a septic system and the water bill is less then $20 a month. I do have to pay for trash pickup which is now $22 a month.
I do want a larger home and I loved the tall ceilings in my previous 2 Historic homes. Both homes had been open for tours and I love that stuff. One of the attractions that draws me to the Juliana Square Historic district is the fact that the owners seem to be very much into their homes. I love houses, have had 5 in my 28 years in Virginia and I've had a love affair with each one. My current 1966 suburban home is the only one that while I love it (bought it with a new fancy kitchen and updated baths, turned a bedroom into my own private movie theater with 10 foot wide screen) it really isn't remarkable in any way. There is no crime here (knock wood !!), I have loads of shopping right outside my neighborhood, it is very quiet but no one is ever going to tour a home here. there is no history here, no home so beautiful I lust after it, nothing you'd ever see in a magazine. it's just blahhhhhhhhhhhh.
My vacation is going to take me to see many old homes in West Virginia, the mountains of Virginia and Tennessee. I've already talked to a few realtors in different cities, but Parkersburg has the highest concentration of affordable old homes on my list. I can't wait to see it !

Old 04-09-2016, 05:22 PM

I don't recall being down the alley behind Julianna before. I expect I have but the second green building on the right has a plaque on it noting it was built in 1865. It was moved to it's current location in 1895. (sounded like two big dogs were in it. LOL)

I love the back porches.

Attached Thumbnails
Parkersburg...Polluted water? Dupont ? does the city smell ?-dsc_7204-1465x2200-.jpg   Parkersburg...Polluted water? Dupont ? does the city smell ?-dsc_7205-2200x1465-.jpg   Parkersburg...Polluted water? Dupont ? does the city smell ?-dsc_7203-1465x2200-.jpg  

Old 04-15-2016, 04:57 PM

Quote:
I don't recall being down the alley behind Julianna before. I expect I have but the second green building on the right has a plaque on it noting it was built in 1865. It was moved to it's current location in 1895. (sounded like two big dogs were in it. LOL)

I love the back porches.
thank you for posting those, I was there just last weekend, in the snow !! at the last minute my supervisor told me I didn't have to work and I arrived in Parkersburg last Friday early evening after a beautiful ride through all the mountains along RT33/250. It took me 6 1/2 hours. I stayed till Sunday morning and saw 4 houses while there...........
1103 Juliana, very disappointing, up close and inside, signs of serious deterioration. i didn't even bother with the second floor.
931 Juliana, now a rental, whoever is in there is really destroying the place, also didn't make it past the first few rooms. steps leading to front door are rotted and partially collapsed.
1212 Washington....this house has great potential, really liked it and really like Washington and that whole neighborhood.
420 13th street.....THIS was my favorite house, yes, did not love that it backs and fronts to apartment buildings, but FIVE renovated bathrooms and a huge home in great condition for 179,900. Kitchen needed work, but of the 4 homes i saw this was the one that amazed me.
all in all there were 3 areas i loved, the Julia Ann Square Historic district was gorgeous , Market is incredible with some spectacular houses and Washington and that whole area was really beautiful. I hated that I was there for bad weather and took what pictures I could. I wanted to go into Riverview cemetery but it was locked the entire time i was there, at least the times i went past. I ate at Chams and The Coffee Bar and loved both meals. My realtor was a really nice guy and very informative. While I don't think 420 13th is the one for me, Parkersburg remains on my list. I very much enjoyed my time there, went a little bit into Ohio and Vienna and left on Sunday still amazed by the homes there and the prices. Most likely I'll return in May.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:01 PM

Default some pictures

these are some pictures i took.

https://goo.gl/photos/9n9usqRPPXaMrj8V9
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia