Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-15-2009, 07:56 PM

1 posts, read 3,025 times

Advertisements

Hi All,

Could you please tell me which parts of Harpers Ferry may not be desirable to live in?

Also, in general, is it a good place to raise children?

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 06:29 AM

423 posts, read 1,238,221 times
hmmmm ..... i live over in charles town, not specifically in harpers ferry .... but i don't think that it's big enough of a place to have "good parts, bad parts". i think that it's more of a question of living in-town (bolivar) or out-of-town in the country. again, i don't think that there are any bad parts to harpers ferry. it's all beautiful.

Old 12-16-2009, 06:42 AM

19,788 posts, read 22,695,361 times
I think Harpers Ferry also extends up on the mountain toward Blue Ridge off Chestnut Rd from Rt.340, so in that regard there still may be some places that I would pass on.

Harpers Ferry from the historic town and down along the river towards Shepherdstown is (or was) vastly different than up on the mountain.

Old 12-16-2009, 07:00 AM

380 posts, read 1,160,533 times
The Harpers Ferry address area extends north along the Potomac almost to what most people think of as Shepherdstown and south along the Shenandoah to Virginia. Yes there are areas which most people would consider 'good' or 'bad' but that really depends on your point of view and what you desire your neighborhood to be like.
I think it is generally a good location to raise children. My family moved to the Harpers Ferry area in 1972; I went to kinderagarten in Bolivar, attended CW Shipley elementary and Harpers Ferry Junior High until we moved into Charles Town and graduated from Jefferson High School. I think I turned out OK (My wife doesn't always hold the same opinion.) We have two children being raised here and so far they are turning out just fine.
Post some information about the type of property and lifestyle you would like,and your job/commuting plans etc. and I can try to give you some information about specific locations.
Clint

Old 12-16-2009, 07:46 AM

1,946 posts, read 4,075,647 times
How accessible is Harpers Ferry to say Martinsburg, Shepherdstown and Charles Town? I've never been there. But i have been to Martinsburg and Shepherdstown twice each. We played at Shepherd twice when i was in college.

Old 12-16-2009, 08:23 AM

2,429 posts, read 7,239,405 times
Charles Town is 6-7 miles southwest, a straight shot down (up?) US 340.

Shepherdstown is about 10 miles away (north on 230), maybe 20 to Martinsburg (take 9 west off of 230).

Old 12-16-2009, 09:26 AM

380 posts, read 1,160,533 times
Most of the areas throughout Jefferson & Berkeley are an easy drive, snorpus has 'em right on. My office is in Charles Town and I travel throughout the area almost every day. Typical drive time to Martinsburg proper from Charles Town is 20 minutes. (With much of the bypass open, if you hit the lights on green and have no delays, you can make it to the east side of martinsburg in 18 minutes driving the speed limit.) Harpers Ferry to Martinsburg would be about 30. I usually allow 15 minutes to Shepherdstown. Delays usually occur along 340 in Charles Town, throughout the city of Martinsburg, Inwood and from Martinsburg to Hedgesville in the afternoons. Usually it's just slower, not delays like you find on 66 or 270. More rural areas on the west side of Berkeley county take a little longer with most of the roads being only 30-40mph.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia