Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How helpful are these questions?
Very helpful 5 83.33%
Somewhat helpful 0 0%
Not helpful 0 0%
Unsure 1 16.67%
Voters: 6. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2008, 05:52 PM

9 posts, read 23,937 times

Advertisements

My family and I are planning on moving to Grafton this summer. I would like to know more about this town.

I need the following information:

1. Are there very many African-Americans or persons of other nationalities located in the area? (The lady that I am buying a house from says that there are not very many-which is great news- and that the area welcomes various nationalities. Is that true? My family is African-American w/Native American ancestry.)

2. What is the school system like? (I have three children. My youngest will be going to the 5th grade and my oldest will need to be tested for accurate grade placement-she was held back last year and wishes to re-enter her correct grade. My middle child has ADHD and problems with school. I want him to be home schooled or home bound so that he can catch up, or at least be able to learn without distracting others.)

3. Are there any jobs for children 14-15? (My oldest daughter just turned 15 and is looking forward to entering the work force. My son is 14 and needs something to occupy and keep him busy.)

4. Are there any modeling/acting agents nearby? (Both of my daughters want to be performers. My youngest wants to be a model/actress, my oldest wants to be a gospel singer/Broadway actress.)

5. What percentage of the population are disabled workers? In other words, is it relatively easy for a person with physical disabilities to obtain employment. (I am in the process of obtaining an Associates degree in Business Management and would like to be able to use the skills I have recently learned and the skills I currently have even though I have not been employed in over 7 years.)

I would appreciate any information that anyone has on the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2008, 07:10 PM

531 posts, read 1,744,561 times
Grafton is a pretty small town. Clarksburg or Morgantown would probably be better for employment opportunities. Morgantown has hospitals,stores and many restaurants for a teenager to work in . Clarksburg has a fairly big mall and many stores and restaurants off route 50. West Virginia does not,overall,have a very high African-American population with the possible exception of Charleston,the capital city. Is there a particular reason you chose Grafton?

Old 04-09-2008, 07:34 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
I think there is enough growth in Grafton to find a job. Hospital is good. Schools are good and easy to get too. Nearest modeling agency would be Pittsburgh...2 hrs from Grafton. Kids at 14 are a little young to work in Wv...your son could mow yards...$30/40 a whack...Race is not an issue here...several Native groups too...Grafton has potential for a lot of economic upward movement and its county government is one of our winners.

Old 04-09-2008, 08:59 PM

Default Need a change

My reasons for choosing Grafton are:

1. Lease Option housing. Beckley residents/homeowners want the full price for their homes or at least an extremely high down payment. (Like the house I live in now, the landlord wants $69,000 for a 3 bedroom house that has only a small are of grass and is in need of updating and other repairs. He wants $3,000 downpayment with $545/month.) Most houses here are not less than $45,000 and you have to have very good credit for financing.) Grafton seems the best place to achieve one of my goals (homeownership).

2. My mom died last year and she was the last family member I had here (that I knew and loved). Up in Grafton I would be closer to the rest of my family that live in PA, DC, MD, and VA.

3. Better career options for my children. Grafton is closer to everything that my children want to do and be. (As I stated before, my daughters both wish to be entertainers.) Grafton is closer to agents that specialize in their goals.

4. From what I have seen in my research of Grafton Schools, they have more educational things that would be better for my children. (Advanced choir, art classes, more sports options, better clubs.)

5. Grafton has a very low crime rate. This is a very big factor. Beckley has a low crime rate compared to US statistics. But Grafton has a much lower crime rate.

6. I love hisorical places. Beckley is not as historical as it use to be. There are more malls, cars, crime, people but there are less trees and historical buildings (what there where are being torn down and parking lots, malls, and other business are coming in. In other words more pollution.) And Grafton is close to PA and DC, which are two of my most favorite places for historical facts and findings.

7. Although I am African-American, I can't stand being around to many others. I am a country girl and I still hold to some country ways. I relish peace, quietness, and my privacy. But I also like being able to see different things like art, concerts, broadway shows, historical landmarks, etc. Grafton has a smaller population than Beckley.

I did not choose Grafton originally. I guess in a way Grafton chose me. It is closer to everything I like and to the people I love without having to change who I am and the way I like to live my life. But most importantly, it is closer to the things my children want to do and be.

Hope that this answered your question.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:02 PM

28 posts, read 85,457 times
I think that you will enjoy Grafton. I'm not sure about many Afircan-Americans living in that area. Just like any other place, you will have to explore a little and get to know the people. However, Grafton is such a hospitable town that race probably is not an issue. Grafton is a key spot because it is so close to everything and yet it's in some pretty pristine countryside. Fairmont, Morgantown, and Clarksburg are nearby with shopping and other attractions. The schools are good. I think they've built a new high school, but I might be mistaken. Either way, we have good school systems. Grafton and other areas have restaurants, ice cream stands, all kinds of places for summer jobs. Talent scouts come to Morgantown often (Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill was form WV), so keep your eyes open. Our region is expandingwith job opportunities, if not in Grafton then definitely in Morgantown and even Clarksburg. Spend some time and explore here and i'm sure you will like it here.

Old 04-09-2008, 09:05 PM

Thumbs up Much appreciated

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Kennedy View Post
I think there is enough growth in Grafton to find a job. Hospital is good. Schools are good and easy to get too. Nearest modeling agency would be Pittsburgh...2 hrs from Grafton. Kids at 14 are a little young to work in Wv...your son could mow yards...$30/40 a whack...Race is not an issue here...several Native groups too...Grafton has potential for a lot of economic upward movement and its county government is one of our winners.

This information is extremely helpful. Moving from the Heart of WV to the Northern region of the state is starting to sound better and better

Old 04-09-2008, 09:10 PM

Thumbs up That's good

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbrowneyes3586 View Post
I think that you will enjoy Grafton. I'm not sure about many Afircan-Americans living in that area. Just like any other place, you will have to explore a little and get to know the people. However, Grafton is such a hospitable town that race probably is not an issue. Grafton is a key spot because it is so close to everything and yet it's in some pretty pristine countryside. Fairmont, Morgantown, and Clarksburg are nearby with shopping and other attractions. The schools are good. I think they've built a new high school, but I might be mistaken. Either way, we have good school systems. Grafton and other areas have restaurants, ice cream stands, all kinds of places for summer jobs. Talent scouts come to Morgantown often (Chad Michael Murray from One Tree Hill was form WV), so keep your eyes open. Our region is expandingwith job opportunities, if not in Grafton then definitely in Morgantown and even Clarksburg. Spend some time and explore here and i'm sure you will like it here.
From all the information that I am getting, I think Grafton will be a wonderful place for my children and self.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:14 AM

938 posts, read 2,899,151 times
Grafton is a nice little town. It really is. The Dairy Queen looks like it is from right out of the 1960s. Down the street is "Dairy King". Haha.

Morgantown is a short trip up 119 and Clarksburg a short trip across 50. About 30 minutes to either.

An excellent physician lives and practices in Grafton by the name of Dr. Malone. One of the finest I've ever worked with in my travels throughout the area.

I've seen a few AAs in Grafton (emphasis on few). Many more in Morgantown and slightly more in Clarksburg.

Old 04-10-2008, 08:03 AM

19,786 posts, read 22,688,984 times
And I think the Curves for Women (or some other health / fitness spa) is right across the street from the Dairy Queen / King, lol.

Old 04-10-2008, 03:15 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,318,295 times
Grafton's 'Old Town" is seeing a newness...new sidewalks...new businesses...all being built around the old train station...I gassed up that the amoco opposite from the Dairy Queenlast week..a little league team had the Dairy Queen covered...no ice cream that day.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia