Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-13-2009, 12:14 PM

69 posts, read 191,460 times

Advertisements

We've looked at a few houses in WV and a few have cisterns, which I know they hold water supplys, but why not just use your well water? Some homes we looked at or seen on the internet have a well plus 1 or 2 cisterns? Does it have to do with the water levels there? Just curious why?For example 1 house had a well for the kitchen but you had to haul in water for the cistern for bathing and laundry?? Is this something common there? Is this a bad thing? Just curious, maybe we're just looking at the wrong houses??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-13-2009, 12:27 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
A cistern is usually required if you have a low GPM flow rate from your well. It basically pumps a reservoir full of usable water because the well doesn't deliver enough water to meet demand.
If you're concerned about it, ask the home owner to explain the system, and why they have it. I have a cistern that fills from springs. I prefer to use that water instead of the two wells that I have. The wells work and produce plenty of water, so for me it's a personal choice to use the cistern.
~Mark

Old 07-13-2009, 12:48 PM

69 posts, read 191,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hinton Bound View Post
A cistern is usually required if you have a low GPM flow rate from your well. It basically pumps a reservoir full of usable water because the well doesn't deliver enough water to meet demand.
If you're concerned about it, ask the home owner to explain the system, and why they have it. I have a cistern that fills from springs. I prefer to use that water instead of the two wells that I have. The wells work and produce plenty of water, so for me it's a personal choice to use the cistern.
~Mark
A spring fed cistern i can understand, but one that you have go into town for and put quarters in a machine to fill a tank then take it home and fill the cistern I would think would be an inconvience, specially after awhile.The realator says it's no big deal, but I think it would be after yrs. of doing this? Then I see these machines in town and wonder if this is what alot of people do? Thankfully only a few house were like this.But I can see one that fills itself would really be no big deal..thank-you for your info.

Old 07-13-2009, 12:59 PM

2,429 posts, read 7,236,021 times
There are a variety of reasons.

Wells are relatively costly. The builder may have decided to put in a cistern first, filling it from a spring or from the roof, then later added the well.

The well water might be suitable for bathing and clothes washing, but have an off taste/odor that precluded use for cooking.

The well might occasionally run dry; the cistern provides an inventory to draw from in that case.

The water in the cistern is available in case of a fire.

It does seem that buying and hauling water yourself would get old, quickly. Here in WPa, some of the VFDs will deliver water (for a price, of course).

As Mark said, ask.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:41 PM

967 posts, read 2,995,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spldcnd View Post
...but one that you have go into town for and put quarters in a machine to fill a tank then take it home and fill the cistern I would think would be an inconvience, specially after awhile...
When you said "haul in" in original post, I thought you meant from your property! If you have to go in to town to buy water, that's a problem- at least for me. I would suspect that the ground water is contaminated, or otherwise non-potabe. Caveat Emptor.

Old 07-13-2009, 06:01 PM

4,714 posts, read 13,313,572 times
And these cisterns? are they new?

Are they from the dust bowl drought of the 1930's when the springs dried up and people rain guttered their homes and collected water in cisterns...

In southwestern Greene county, Pa, deep longwall mining destroyed the water table and many farms had to haul water from services in Waynesburg, Pa.

also: Some water tables might be shallow and the cistern would be used as a holding facility...pumps being activated periodically by timers to keep the cistern full...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > West Virginia
View detailed profiles of: