Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 10:47 AM

7 posts, read 35,837 times

Advertisements

Hi,

We are about to re-locate from Chicago to the greater NYC area for work and I was hoping for a bit of advice. The job is based in New Rochelle and as neither my wife nor I have any experience of that city we wondered what we could expect. Having both lived in various large cities all our lives, we weren't sure we wouldn't feel more at home in the Bronx. However, personal and home safety is a major concern for us and if possible we'd like some recommendations of areas you folks think would interest us. We are both in our early 50's.

Many thanks,

Jake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 03:30 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
New Rochelle is a fairly big place. if your job was near Boston Rd (US1) and I 95 you would be in the downtown area of New Rochelle or if it was more inland you would be in the suburban area of New Rochelle(near the Hutchinson River Pkwy). The suburban areas of NR (like near North Avenue) can be expensive

New Rochelle doesn't border The Bronx it is The Pelhams, actually Pelham Manor that borders The Bronx. The area of The Bronx that is closest to New Rochelle is majority African American and W Indian(I don't know what your nationality is) and areas further west you have Woodlawn and Riverdale which are majority caucasian, but they are farther from New Rochelle

the areas surrounding NR are generally desirable. you have Eastchester and Bronxville and even Scarsdale

I just don't know where to go next with this maybe someone else does...

Old 05-07-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanks rlrl,

Ethnicity isn't a problem for us, (for the record I'm Irish, my wife is from D.C.), as long as it's safe. We will be renting as we can't afford to sell our place here in Chicago in the current climate. The job is downtown in New Rochelle (quite close to the Amtrak station). So, the commute is really only a problem from the "home" end, if you see what I mean. The Bronx was recommended to us by a friend in NYC, but he lives in Brooklyn and only visits there for Yankee games, so he doesn't have any detailed knowledge of neighborhoods. I'm afraid my only knowledge of the area is from laughable 70's movies and t.v. shows, neither of which are very flattering. I've dredged other threads on here but most of them seem to date from around 2007-ish.

Thanks.

Jake.

Old 05-07-2012, 06:57 PM

12,115 posts, read 33,675,618 times
yes i was wondering why you mentioned only the Bronx and not the surrounding Westchester areas. I live in central Riverdale, NR is probably a 7 mile trip from where I live one way. Woodlawn is a little closer to NR but i've heard it could be harder to get into unless youre Irish and you know someone.

what about suburban NR, Eastchester, Tuckahoe, The Pelhams, Larchmont, thoise are in Westchester and close to NR

would you be commuting by car?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:21 PM

12,270 posts, read 11,326,320 times
New Rochelle is in Westchester County. Request the mod to move it and you'll get a lot more info. The north end of NR is very nice, quiet and suburban. The south end, on the coast, is crowded with lots of apartment buildings. Downtown NR has a Trump Building and two Avalon apartment buildings and a very nice library. It's a fifteen minute commute max by car from the north end of NR to downtown.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:31 AM

Thanks both. How do I go about moving to the Westchester County forum? Should I just re-post?

Old 05-08-2012, 11:49 AM

114 posts, read 302,138 times
If you are interested in the Bronx for commuting to NR for you work, you may want to consider the Pelham Gardens/Eastchester Road area of the Bronx. It is a few blocks from the 95 North as well as Hutch North, or the option of the Shore Road, which runs from the bronx, through pelham and into New Rochelle.
I have lived int his area of the Bronx my entire life. It is one of the safer, more neighborhood type places left in the bronx with good proximity to lower Westchester.
We are actually in the process of selling our current home in this area, and looking to move into lower Westcher. Reason is, my husband would have to commute to the Bronx for his job, so it is very close and convenient coming and going from areas such as you mentioned (Pelham, NR, eastchester etc.)

Old 05-08-2012, 12:16 PM

Thanks, GTDJ519.

We'll check those areas out. Much appreciated.

Old 05-08-2012, 12:38 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,627,626 times
For crime information, I find this site very helpful:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

New Rochelle seems to be slightly higher in crime rate than neighboring zip codes and the U.S. national average.

Last edited by Yac; 05-15-2012 at 06:18 AM..

Old 05-08-2012, 01:07 PM

293 posts, read 886,160 times
Maybe you could give us an idea of your budget for renting, how many bedrooms, other preferences for living (for example walkable neighborhood, must have parking, commute no longer than x, etc).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County