Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 07:26 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,034,344 times

Advertisements

Lemishine is citric acid. Supposedly Tang works too, that's basically sugar and citric acid (I haven't tried it). Interestingly backpackers use Tang to neutralize the taste of iodine-based water purification tablets. Again, it's the citric acid.

Anyway, I'm gonna try more detergent too. We've avoided that cause my wife is dead set against using more detergent for some philosophical reason.

Also, I found that once the spots are there they'll stay there until I do a vinegar treatment. Just rewashing doesn't get them off. But a big dose of vinegar in the pre-rinse gets them off. After they're gone they tend to stay gone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 07:49 PM

258 posts, read 667,258 times
FYI, 2 cups of vinegar is even better than 1 (!) Spotting is still faintly there, but so much better. Haven't removed Lemishine from the equation yet, but I might try that as well.

Old 06-05-2012, 07:47 AM

If deposits are heavy it makes more sense that 2 c is better than 1. In the meanitme I did more homework and rediscovered a few things I forgot.

Vinegar is mildly corrosive to many metals. Citric acid isn't. I'd be a little concerned about the effect on washer life of habitually dumping in vinegar. plastic and stainless steel won't be affected but plain iron or steel probably would be (pump, heating element, valves, other parts). Citric acid also "captures" the hard water ions very effectively, it's like a chemical water softener.

Over the long haul I think citric acid would the better choice, but certainly more expensive and harder to get in quantity - at least the way it's packaged and marketed as a cleaning aid. I'm going to see what a 5 lb tub of it costs online or from a chemical supplier. That might be the way to go. If I find something reasonable I'll post.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:01 AM

Check this out: citric | biodiesel supplies
Very interesting site. I just ordered 5 lbs of citric acid. It's food ingredient, very benign, no handling issues. Just don't get it in your eyes.

Old 06-06-2012, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Check this out: citric | biodiesel supplies
Very interesting site. I just ordered 5 lbs of citric acid. It's food ingredient, very benign, no handling issues. Just don't get it in your eyes.
Wow, thanks. I'd order the 50lb tub, but I don't think I'd have much luck lugging it back and forth to my dishwasher...

Old 08-06-2012, 03:57 PM

Reviving this thread to mention that I recently tried OxiClean's dishwasher product. It's a rinse agent, with glycolic acid, I believe.

Excellent results. Actually better than vinegar/citric acid/extra detergent combo.

Still using with powdered detergent.

So happy that I will look into the other dishwasher products they have.

FWIW.

Old 11-17-2013, 11:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,008 times
I've been helping out an old friend and washing his dishes for him.. they r coated with a film from the well water.. i wash by hand.. Is there any ajent i can add in the sink with dishsoap that will break down this film. i also dry the dishes immediatly but they still r dull n filmy..im willing to give almost any thing a try.

Old 11-17-2013, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueMorrison40 View Post
I've been helping out an old friend and washing his dishes for him.. they r coated with a film from the well water.. i wash by hand.. Is there any ajent i can add in the sink with dishsoap that will break down this film. i also dry the dishes immediatly but they still r dull n filmy..im willing to give almost any thing a try.
Try a little citric acid in the rinse water.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County