Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-04-2007, 12:38 AM

43 posts, read 155,758 times

Advertisements

we are relocating very soon to NY. we are a young family with two elementary school aged children. schools are extremely important to us, as it a neighborhood with other kids. have been looking in the NJ areas, we would prefer to keep it around the hour commute at most. job is locating right between the two train stations so it's convenient. budget on a home is 500-600, any thoughts of where to be looking?

we like areas of NJ we saw, just wondered what other parts to consider in NY or surrounding areas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2007, 02:00 PM

7,079 posts, read 37,944,603 times
I've responded on the NYC thread.

Old 11-04-2007, 02:45 PM

56 posts, read 230,960 times
Hi there,

we are in a very similar situation to yours in that we might have to move to New York next summer. Have three kids and are looking for a safe area with good schools and decent commuting time. We have a similar budget to yours. So far I found Croton-on- Hudson if you are looking to buy in Westchester and Springfield, Madison, Chatham, Cranford, Edison and Metuchen and Summit if you are looking into NJ.

Good luck
Raffy

Old 11-04-2007, 03:44 PM

2,806 posts, read 16,370,322 times
Not all towns on your NJ list are equal. I wouldn't group towns like Madison, Chatham, and Summit with towns like Edison and Metuchen.

The problem with NJ is that the commute is invariably longer into NYC by NJ Transit than coming from Westchester. If you don't want to live in Jersey City or Hoboken, the closest suburban towns to Penn Station (places like Rutherford and North Arlington) are 35 minutes on NJ Transit. A town like Chatham or Madison, while they are extremely nice towns, will generally take around 45 minutes or possibly longer to get to Penn Station. Summit is a little bit closer, but not by much. Milburn is also extremely nice and upscale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raffaella View Post
Hi there,

we are in a very similar situation to yours in that we might have to move to New York next summer. Have three kids and are looking for a safe area with good schools and decent commuting time. We have a similar budget to yours. So far I found Croton-on- Hudson if you are looking to buy in Westchester and Springfield, Madison, Chatham, Cranford, Edison and Metuchen and Summit if you are looking into NJ.

Good luck
Raffy

Old 11-04-2007, 09:23 PM

43 posts, read 155,758 times
we have actually looked at some homes in the madison/chatham area and even as far out as morristown. the towns are nice, but i am trying to see what other options there might be because as you mentioned it is a longer commute.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:01 PM

3 posts, read 9,018 times
Default Home option for you in Croton-on-Hudson

Hi - If you are still interested in Croton-Hdsn, may I suggest you view our townhome in Half Moon Bay. This community is right on the Hudson, with a variety of townhomes. If you prefer new, low property taxes and great schools - then HMB could be the answer for you. We've lived here for 1.5 yrs and love it. So much to do with nature, easy shopping, simple and enjoyable town center. Our neighbors are friendly and quiet.

We are having to move to do a job relocation - starting in Jan 08. You can review our townhome by contacting me directly - seems I can't post the url correctly.

In NY, all real estate transactions require a RE lawyer (who write up the actual contract btw buyer/seller). When, if you decide to buy, do consider to leave out an agent, this can allow you to purchase a home for less (since the seller could discount it) This is our current intention, since we need to get moving to California.

Best of luck in either case!

Philip

Last edited by philm72; 12-17-2007 at 07:50 PM..

Old 12-17-2007, 07:10 PM

8 posts, read 24,946 times
Default Westchester or NJ

I am in the same situation as you are. We have 2 children in elementary school and we are looking in the 500-600 range in Westchester, taxes $5,000-$7,000 with good schools. It seems almost impossible. Have you decided on an area?

Old 12-27-2007, 08:09 PM

142 posts, read 961,508 times
Maybe look at West Harrison. Good schools, low taxes, right outside White Plains. It is a working/middle class neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County