Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 07:17 AM

192 posts, read 375,987 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My wife and I are looking to buy our 1st home. We are currently renting in North Yonkers right at the Hasting border. We would like to buy in Westchester, but taxes are insane. Anyway, we found a few houses in Brewester that we will be going to see this weekend.

My questions is, how bad is the commute from Brewster to NYC, Grand Central? How long does it generally take via Train and what is the average price of a monthly pass?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 168,084 times
MNR Schedules

That will give you all the info you need. A quick check shows about an hour and 20 minutes on the train and $392 for a monthly pass.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:55 PM

581 posts, read 1,303,911 times
That's an insane commute. Leave work at 6pm, get home at 8pm.
You'll never be home to enjoy that silly house you're working so hard to pay for.

Old 11-13-2013, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShouldHaveLeft914 View Post
That's an insane commute. Leave work at 6pm, get home at 8pm.
You'll never be home to enjoy that silly house you're working so hard to pay for.

Yeah I know...

We're just looking to see the type of homes they have. You get lots of home for your money and plus the taxes are not insane.

I want to stay in Westchester, believe me! We just need to find the right house. I currently don't work in NYC, but in the event that my next job is in the NYC, I would like to get as much info as possible. This will help me decide if the Brewster area is really something I want. Or do we have have to keep looking for something in Weschester.

Does anyone here currently do this commute?

Old 11-14-2013, 04:31 AM

581 posts, read 1,303,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ld75 View Post
Does anyone here currently do this commute?
No, they're still on the train.

Old 11-14-2013, 07:38 AM

222 posts, read 541,006 times
I did the commute from New Hamburg to downtown (~2 hours) and it was taxing. I couldn't do for the long term. However, if you are willing to go upstate for the value, I'd recommend staying on the Hudson line (Cortlandt maybe) or CT maybe Fairfield (about an hour into Grand Central).

Old 11-15-2013, 07:52 PM

6,205 posts, read 7,462,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Westchesterwannabe View Post
I did the commute from New Hamburg to downtown (~2 hours) and it was taxing. I couldn't do for the long term. However, if you are willing to go upstate for the value, I'd recommend staying on the Hudson line (Cortlandt maybe) or CT maybe Fairfield (about an hour into Grand Central).
The MTA has 3 lines. If the OP is interested in shortening the commute, he can do it on each of the 3 branches. The problem? every mile closer to the city will raise the cost of real estate and taxes significantly.
On Brewster (Harlem line) he can opt for Katonnah, Chappaqua and Mount Kisco. On the New Haven line he can check Greenwich (and so on).
Bottom-line: Brewster and South-East will be cheaper then Croton or Peekskill (Hudson line).
Another question is how far the office is from Grand Central. If additional commute in Manhattan is required, I would forget about Westchester all together.

Old 11-16-2013, 07:03 AM

We're scratching Brewster. It's just too far of a commute when the time comes I have to go into the City for work. And if I were going to work in NYC, I would probably just do Mid-Town. I'm not much of a commuter. Downtown...going to stay away from that additional commute. Did that before and hated it!

We are going to see some houses in Mahopac this weekend. The commute is shorter to NYC, only about an hour, not great, but definitely much better than 1 1/2 hours on the train each way.

Ideally we would like to stay in Westchester, It's just too expensive and you get much less. I also grew up in Westchester, so having to move out because it's too dam expensive due to high taxes makes me

My sister got married 5 years ago and her and her husband bought a house in Fishskill. They both work in the White Plains area. Their driving commute is insane everyday, on top of that their cars are all beatup now with high mileage. They couldn't afford a decent home in Westchester.

We'll see what we can come up with and find. Does anyone have any insider info about Mahopac? What's the good, the bad, and the ugly?

Shopping, restaurants, parks?

Thanks!

Old 11-16-2013, 10:35 AM

425 posts, read 1,213,470 times
What is your budget?

My sister in law lives in Putnam Valley and kids went to Mahopac schools. It seems ok, def has an upstate vibe to it. I think Brewster, Camel and mahopac are all pretty comparable, although My Brother in law claims that Brewster schools are third, Carmel second and Mahopac 1st. He lives right off the Taconic and drives into Manhattan everyday.

Its hard to find a home with low taxes, good schools and an easy commute to NYC in Westchester. Are schools an issue? If not then that expands your choices...

The drive from Fishkill to WP is not terrible - weather depending...If you can find a place near the Taconic you can make it to WP in about 34-40 mins...(I have to go up there for work once in awhile) You can get a gorgeous home for $600k ish - literally get about twice as much for your money (some areas three times as much - Scarsdale/Bronxville/Rye etc..)

Old 11-22-2013, 08:19 AM

222 posts, read 541,006 times
As they say in Westchester it's low taxes, good schools and a short commute, pick two.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County