Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2014, 10:56 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,403,971 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forest_Hills_Daddy View Post
I think the OP will not be interested in Yonkers, MV and NR.
No, likely not, but explaining the area and why parts of it are not that different from its neighbors does help to explain Westchester to those who are not familiar, i.e., not all of Yonkers, Mount Vernon, and New Rochelle have problems.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2014, 01:03 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Nope. B'ville is completely landlocked. Rye is on the sound.
Thats what I said. Rye is like Bronxville but its on the LI Sound.

Old 01-10-2014, 04:06 PM

866 posts, read 2,485,536 times
And the wait list for a parking space at the train station in Rye is about a decade or so, so not ideal for someone who needs to commute by train...

Old 01-10-2014, 07:18 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetsmart View Post
And the wait list for a parking space at the train station in Rye is about a decade or so, so not ideal for someone who needs to commute by train...
Oh, thats right there are no parking permit issues in Scarsdale & Bronxville...what was i thinking?
Sorry not up to speed on the Rye parking permit wait list.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
Oh, thats right there are no parking permit issues in Scarsdale & Bronxville...what was i thinking?
Sorry not up to speed on the Rye parking permit wait list.
We walked into the village of Scarsdale and got a parking permit on the spot. They have many lots. Moved to Mamaroneck and got one on the spot.

Don't know about Bronxville, but the wait list in Rye is notorious.

Old 01-11-2014, 06:05 PM

65 posts, read 146,032 times
Thanks all. I think when we apply for the driving licence we will still be in temp accommodation for about 6 weeks. Most likely in Manhattan till our shipping arrives.

Old 01-12-2014, 06:05 AM

686 posts, read 1,768,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by London2014 View Post
Thanks all. I think when we apply for the driving licence we will still be in temp accommodation for about 6 weeks. Most likely in Manhattan till our shipping arrives.
You will need a lease agreement, utility bill, bank statement, or such to prove NY residency to get an ID/license or to take a test at the DMV. A temp accommodation (hotel, company-paid apartment,...) is unlikely to provide you any of these documents.

The NY DMV has elaborate information on the various pieces of documentation you need to for each transactions and a "points system" guides how many documents you need. Please check the DMV web site.

Old 01-18-2014, 04:26 PM

65 posts, read 146,032 times
Default 8300 monthly budget, houses in Ardsley, Scarsdale, Larchmont and Harrison

Finally got our housing budget a approved. $8300.

Like many if you sabia the availability will probably restrict us.
The nicer houses seem to be in Larchmont and Harrison. Less availability on the scarsdale edgemont and Ardsley side where the houses are nice n. But not half as nice.

ACan anyone give me some straightforward reason not to want to live in Larchmont vs Scarsdale/Edgemont and Ardsley side?
The diversity seems to be non existent. Not sure what Larchmont is like as a community?

We move end of February/ March. Yayyyy

Thanks guys

Old 01-18-2014, 06:50 PM

If you can find something suitable in Larchmont then JUMP ON IT, even faster if it's in the section that has side walks. Great community, lots of ex-pats, there is a newcomers club as well. The knock against Larchmont is usually that the lots are small, the houses are old, and you still pay a premium for it. If you are renting and not staying forever these things might not be deal breakers.

Old 01-19-2014, 07:56 AM

293 posts, read 886,579 times
Larchmont is great. We've been living here for two years now and I love it. Very welcoming to newcomers, lots of expats as Streetsmart said. Schools are excellent, lots of parks/playgrounds to choose from, on the water. And if you find a place close enough to the station, you can avoid the whole issue of parking permit completely because your husband will be able to walk.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County