Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-23-2014, 08:04 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
however, when it comes to property crimes they travel to nice areas to find nicer stuff.
Right, John. There is so much property crime in Larchmont and Mamaroneck. Whatever you say.

OP - Please pay no attention to this guy. NOBODY has not moved to Larchmont because of fear of property crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2014, 12:04 PM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Right, John. There is so much property crime in Larchmont and Mamaroneck. Whatever you say.

OP - Please pay no attention to this guy. NOBODY has not moved to Larchmont because of fear of property crime.
For once we agree! I'd add Pelham to the list too. In the real world the proximity to the Bronx and Mt V is nonissue. Don't leave your iPod or credit cards on the seat in an unlocked car and you'll be fine.

Old 01-23-2014, 07:57 PM

425 posts, read 1,213,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
For once we agree! I'd add Pelham to the list too. In the real world the proximity to the Bronx and Mt V is nonissue. Don't leave your iPod or credit cards on the seat in an unlocked car and you'll be fine.
I leave my cars unlocked in North Castle without a concern. When I lived in Eastchester, car break ins were commonplace as were stolen cars, also many more home burglaries. The OP is looking at crime stats. There is more crime in southern westchester, its a fact and there are numerous reasons for it....a large majority of the crime is committed by Yonkers, MOunt Vernon and Bronx residents who live close by.

My car was stolen from my GARAGE by a car theft ring as we were sleeping, chopped up in a Bronx
chop shop and dumped off 95. The car theft ring was busted and they were all from??? GUESS??? Here is a hint --Not Chappaqua!

Ruby Greta is living in fantasyland if she thinks there is no difference.

That said, Larchmont is very nice! The OP asked about Pelham BTW

Last edited by john70; 01-23-2014 at 08:09 PM..

Old 01-23-2014, 08:09 PM

Quote:

Did I say there was "so much property crime in Larchmont and Mamaroneck" Can you read??

Old 01-23-2014, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john70 View Post
I leave my cars unlocked in North Castle without a concern. When I lived in Eastchester, car break ins were commonplace as were stolen cars, also many more home burglaries. The OP is looking at crime stats. There is more crime in southern westchester, its a fact and there are numerous reasons for it....a large majority of the crime is committed by Yonkers, MOunt Vernon and Bronx residents who live close by.

My car was stolen from my GARAGE by a car theft ring as we were sleeping, chopped up in a Bronx
chop shop and dumped off 95. The car theft ring was busted and they were all from??? GUESS??? Here is a hint --Not Chappaqua!

Ruby Greta is living in fantasyland if she thinks there is no difference.
What a clown! I've lived in Eastchester for 20 years. Once a year on average we get an e-mail about a house break-in. Cars are not stolen. Every now and then there is a wave of some kid opening up unlocked car doors and taking lose change and whatever he can get. I guarantee you that had I left my door unlocked for those 20 years, nothing would have happened.

Let's read between the lines. John is a flat-out racist. You see, there are these evil black people living in Mount Vernon, Yonkers and the Bronx. They drive to places like Eastchester (and presumably Bronxville, which is closer to black neighborhoods and has bigger houses; anyone not moving to Bronxville because of fear of crime?), and cause mayhem. So guys like John move to their "white heaven" of North Castle/Armonk to be further away from these evil black people.

Glad you moved away, John.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:23 AM

2,619 posts, read 7,033,204 times
Dueling posters! Both of you guys are taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

The reality is that the "top towns" in southern Westchester have extremely low crime rates, much lower than practically any suburban area. Just ask anybody in Albuquerque. And virtually all of it is property crimes. There are no roving gangs from Mt Vernon or the Bronx prowling around Pelham or Bronxville preying on people. Is it smart to leave your house unlocked or valuable stuff in your car? Of course not.

Farther north the already low rate approaches zero. Despite that, in a lifetime of living in/around Westchester I never heard of anybody fleeing any of the nicer southern Westchester communities for the north because of crime concerns.

Fleeing the Bronx is another matter entirely, and I'd guess that many Eastchester residents would agree.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kletter1mann View Post
Dueling posters! Both of you guys are taking it to a ridiculous extreme.

The reality is that the "top towns" in southern Westchester have extremely low crime rates, much lower than practically any suburban area. Just ask anybody in Albuquerque. And virtually all of it is property crimes. There are no roving gangs from Mt Vernon or the Bronx prowling around Pelham or Bronxville preying on people. Is it smart to leave your house unlocked or valuable stuff in your car? Of course not.

Farther north the already low rate approaches zero. Despite that, in a lifetime of living in/around Westchester I never heard of anybody fleeing any of the nicer southern Westchester communities for the north because of crime concerns.

Fleeing the Bronx is another matter entirely, and I'd guess that many Eastchester residents would agree.
This is not the 1970's and 1980's. Nobody is "fleeing" the Bronx. People LEAVE the Bronx because they want a bigger house, a bigger yard, better shopping and a better public school district. Property values and demand for housing are steady, crime is at record low levels, and property taxes are absurdly low.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:17 AM

10 posts, read 10,985 times
Ruby, I grew up in the Bronx (pretty good neighborhood - 40 yrs). If you don't think the "element" plays a huge factor in people fleeing or whatever word you want to use - you are being naive. If I was still single with no kids - I would've definitey stayed. Yes all the benefits you mentioned play a big role in leaving but lets not disregard the obvious.

Old 01-24-2014, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjre View Post
Ruby, I grew up in the Bronx (pretty good neighborhood - 40 yrs). If you don't think the "element" plays a huge factor in people fleeing or whatever word you want to use - you are being naive. If I was still single with no kids - I would've definitey stayed. Yes all the benefits you mentioned play a big role in leaving but lets not disregard the obvious.
I guess it's semantics - flee vs. leave. My guess it is mostly because of the poorly performing public schools. If you had an area in The Bronx with one highly performing high school (and you don't, not even in Riverdale), I think a lot more families would stay.

I also look at a neighborhood like Throggs Neck. At one time it was overwhelmingly Italian. But the 3rd and/or 4th generations are looking for something nicer than a modest attached house. So when they get married, they buy a house in the suburbs.

When grandma passes away, the house is sold, typically to a Hispanic family, who are likely the 1st generation American born.

This is just an orderly transition that has happened throughout NYC for over 100 years.

Old 01-24-2014, 09:11 PM

Quote:
What a clown! I've lived in Eastchester for 20 years. Once a year on average we get an e-mail about a house break-in. Cars are not stolen. Every now and then there is a wave of some kid opening up unlocked car doors and taking lose change and whatever he can get. I guarantee you that had I left my door unlocked for those 20 years, nothing would have happened.

Let's read between the lines. John is a flat-out racist. You see, there are these evil black people living in Mount Vernon, Yonkers and the Bronx. They drive to places like Eastchester (and presumably Bronxville, which is closer to black neighborhoods and has bigger houses; anyone not moving to Bronxville because of fear of crime?), and cause mayhem. So guys like John move to their "white heaven" of North Castle/Armonk to be further away from these evil black people.

Glad you moved away, John.
I have lived in both places, you apparently have not. I did not say Eastchester is not a great place to live, I simply stated a fact.....crime rates are higher in lower Westchester. Its a fact. Did I compare it to Newark, Detroit, Camden, Newburgh or Mount Vernon etc... etc..??? There is no need to read between the lines...everyone knows where to stay away from and lives their lives accordingly...who are you kidding!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County