Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-11-2012, 06:09 PM

2 posts, read 12,077 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are planning on doing some hiking in the Catskills in June 2012.

I am really interested in taking the trip near Bear Mountain and Thiells to get a chance to walk through Letchworth Village, something I've wanted to do for awhile because of its historical significance in the field I work in. From what we understand, entering the buildings is illegal (and I'd imagine rather unsafe!), but walking around the premises, as long as it's during the day, is fine. Just wanted to confirm that that's correct!

Also, I can't imagine that a site as unsafe and in as much disrepair as Letchworth Village will be standing much longer. I see that demolition was scheduled in 2007, but clearly didn't happen unless it was very recently. Has demolition happened over the past couple years, or something scheduled for this year? If not, is it something that could be a sudden possibility, and is there a local newspaper that we would report it that we can check electronically as it gets closer to June?

Before we plan to see it, we want to be sure that Letchworth Village is still standing. Because if it's not, we would rather hike a bit further north.

Thanks so much for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 08:45 AM

43 posts, read 142,880 times
For what's it worth, I grew up there in Stony Point. Letchworth is going nowhere as far as I know, BUT I do know that the exit for it off of the Palisades Parkway (exit 14) used to be called Letchworth Village, and now it's not anymore. I don't live in Rockland anymore so I'm not sure, but I visit every once and a while to see my parents, and we always get off at exit 14 and the buildings are still there. The local junior high, Fieldstone Junior High, was part of the original Village.
I would check the Rockland Journal News, though I highly doubt it's going anywhere.

Old 03-13-2012, 11:33 AM

10 posts, read 29,584 times
They've been saying for years it would be demolished, but I don't see it happening anytime soon. Ten years ago they said Rockland Psychiatric Center in Orangeburg (about 25 minutes South) would be demolished as well because there are a ton of abandoned buildings there. They told the town that they would build a huge park there with a skatepark, public pool and numerous other features, and it never happened. They have yet to even start on the demolishing and this was about 12 years ago!

Now back to Letchworth. They keep saying it, but it probably won't happen. About a year ago a beautiful house on the property (behind some of the bigger buildings) burned down due to some stupid teenagers. The house was absolutely incredible looking and was probably for the warden back in the day, complete with a garage, a breath taking view of the mountains, a field called "Strawberry Fields" and a huge lush green lawn surrounded by trees. Since than, police patrol the area like crazy and it probably isn't as easy to go into the buildings as it use to. I've gone there dozens of times with friends and explored a great deal of the buildings, including the infamous morgue. We usually went at night and we were never bothered once. I have yet to go there now since the incident. During the day, people walk their dogs and job through the area so if you are considering exploring it, I'd do it during the day. Most of the buildings should still be opened, even if they were closed up, teenagers probably broke them open anyway.

It's a really beautiful area and I recommend taking a trip there before it's too late and they eventually (if they ever do) demolish it. Another great thing to explore on the property is the cemetery for the patients. Most of the graves are marked as just patient numbers. It's very creepy (especially in the dark) but very difficult to find. It took us a while and we finally found it one night. The whole place is full of places to explore. Just don't go into the Tuberculosis building as a precautionary, who knows if it's still hanging around there.

Before going, you might want to look some information up on the computer, I know there are a ton of photographers who go there and take pictures of the outside areas and the inside which could help guide you on your exploration. Once again, the place is very interesting and creepy. If a police officer happens to stop you, I'm sure he won't say much as your not a trouble making teenager. Be careful!

Old 03-15-2012, 04:09 PM

277 posts, read 773,599 times
Demolition won't be happening anytime soon. The property is owned by the Town of Stony Point and for years they have been stalled on development ideas. Part of the property now consists of a public golf course (Patriot Hills), but everything else is still intact that hasn't been burned down.

FWIW, this does not relate to Westchester County in any way and should be move to the main New York forum.

Old 03-16-2012, 03:17 PM

2 posts, read 12,077 times
Aw, that's awesome! I'm so excited to go now! Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. Sorry it's not Westchester County, but that was the closest area. There really should be more NY boards!

Thanks again everyone for the help!

Old 07-13-2014, 05:21 PM

3 posts, read 9,662 times
Is the village still around? I am planning a historical trip for the day and wish to go. Also what else should I consider in Theills Ny

Old 07-13-2014, 06:56 PM

Also how do I get to here from syracuse ny?

Old 07-14-2014, 04:52 PM

19,219 posts, read 17,095,590 times
Just use MapQuest and put Willow Grove Rd, Stony Point, NY as your destination. The facility has closed but looking at Google Maps there appears to be many of the buildings. Letchworth Village Road intersects Will Grove about a mile east of the Palisades Parkway.

Old 07-15-2014, 06:55 PM

Smile thx

Thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County