Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2014, 08:11 PM

269 posts, read 481,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
Yeah, right. The vast majority of ethnic Italians under 60 know as much Italian as I know - nothing.
I never said these men were under 60. The fact remains that there is a huge Italian presence in Eastchester. MOST of my Italian friends here (all well under 60) speak Italian.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 09:39 PM

2,441 posts, read 6,266,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by josmyth View Post
I never said these men were under 60. The fact remains that there is a huge Italian presence in Eastchester. MOST of my Italian friends here (all well under 60) speak Italian.
I have never met an Italian man or woman in my age group (have kids have graduated high school) who can speak Italian. Never. And I have met a ton of people.

Old 08-05-2014, 08:29 AM

3 posts, read 5,191 times
There is a good percentage of people of Italian descent, but I certainly don't feel like it is anything even close to approaching a "Little Italy" type of feel. We are a professional couple with one toddler. We've met a few other families in the neighborhood through our son's activities and actually none are Italian. I think you'll find a mix.

Old 08-05-2014, 10:38 AM

60 posts, read 227,562 times
Quote:
I have never met an Italian man or woman in my age group (have kids have graduated high school) who can speak Italian. Never. And I have met a ton of people.
My kids are in middle school and I'll echo that. Although, some of the kids they go to school with seem to be able to curse in Italian and my son wanted to take Italian so he could understand what they were saying I told him school Italian probably wasn't going to help him out.

Old 08-06-2014, 08:56 PM

120 posts, read 147,827 times
Quote:
We are, however, to the best of my knowledge, the only community that has fireworks on Columbus Day. !
Actually West Harrison/Silver Lake has Columbus Day fireworks as well!

I have Irish relatives in Eastchester and they still say it's all Italian (obviously this is not the case) but that's what they feel. I have to say, almost everyone I know who lives in Eastchester is Italian and a few Irish Americans. Also- someone mentioned that most are 4th or 5th generation. Not the case- most are 1st or 2nd generation.

It definitely shouldnt matter, but if you have ever lived in a neighborhood where one nationality dominates- then you know this is not the case. A town like Larchmont is a perfect example of a place where your nationality/religion is unimportant. There are people from everywhere. Dont think this is the case in Eastchester. But- dont think Eastchester is like a West harrison, where everyone is Italian.

Old 08-07-2014, 04:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alsier2004 View Post
Actually West Harrison/Silver Lake has Columbus Day fireworks as well!

I have Irish relatives in Eastchester and they still say it's all Italian (obviously this is not the case) but that's what they feel. I have to say, almost everyone I know who lives in Eastchester is Italian and a few Irish Americans. Also- someone mentioned that most are 4th or 5th generation. Not the case- most are 1st or 2nd generation.

It definitely shouldnt matter, but if you have ever lived in a neighborhood where one nationality dominates- then you know this is not the case. A town like Larchmont is a perfect example of a place where your nationality/religion is unimportant. There are people from everywhere. Dont think this is the case in Eastchester. But- dont think Eastchester is like a West harrison, where everyone is Italian.
I forgot about West Harrison. You're right, everyone is Italian.

With respect to 1st generation Italians in Eastchester, unless they are over 80, I have never met one. Italians have not been emigrating to the US in large numbers since the 1960's or maybe into the 1970's.

Also, I believe the area of Harrison around Harrison Avenue and Halstead Avenue is very Italian.

Old 08-10-2014, 10:25 AM

12 posts, read 44,619 times
Thanks for all the opinions. Are there any other town in the area that Eastchester would comparable to? Maybe Harrison, Tuckahoe?

Old 08-10-2014, 12:49 PM

Interestingly, Harrison has a very large Italian population.

Harrison is weird. The Silver Lake neighborhood is probably 95% Italian and solidly middle-class. The area south of Interstate 95 and near the downtown is also heavily Italian and solidly middle class. The other areas (including Purchase) are very affluent, and made up of various ethnicities.

I can't think of another community that has such well defined neighborhoods that are so vastly differentiated between income groups (middle class, and near-wealthy/wealthy).

Old 08-11-2014, 06:37 AM

425 posts, read 1,214,477 times
No other town in lower Westchester encompasses such a large area either. Maybe the City of Yonkers but you don't find many wealthy people, even in Lawrence Park West or Cedar Knolls or Park Hill - near wealthy yes. Its poor, middle class, near wealthy and a smattering of wealth. The neighborhoods are clearly defined however.

Old 08-17-2014, 08:31 AM

101 posts, read 462,238 times
Just curious- what do you think the percentage of people who claim Irish ancestry is in Eastchester?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County