Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2014, 12:04 PM
bg7

7,694 posts, read 10,558,693 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Most of Westchester is white. Why would the OP want to live there if he wants diversity? Why not just go back to Forest Hills? Queens is the most diverse place perhaps within in the entire country, so I think it's rather ridiculous to compare Westchester to Forest Hills, or furthermore to go from one place to another and expect the same thing. It's always irritating to me when people move from one place that was one way and them come to another place and try to change things.

Because he realizes "white" doesn't mean much. A Greek and a Finn, both white, can be much further apart culturally than a Black American and a white American.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2014, 01:30 PM

93,278 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Because he realizes "white" doesn't mean much. A Greek and a Finn, both white, can be much further apart culturally than a Black American and a white American.
If not more so.

Old 09-17-2014, 05:25 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
The word "diversity" is used today to insinuate an area that has a high number of blacks or latinos, very little whites. In other words, diversity is code word for a predominately "colored" community. They'd have you believe that Harlem or Mt. Vernon is diverse but Scarsdale isn't. Apparently it is the politically correct thing to do to embrace so called "diversity" because if you don't, you're a racist. This is the crazy world we live in today.

By the way, Mt. Vernon is really NOT diverse. We all know the predominate demographic there. Let's not kid ourselves.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:33 PM

30 posts, read 114,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hhp3333 View Post
Most of Westchester is white. Why would the OP want to live there if he wants diversity? Why not just go back to Forest Hills? Queens is the most diverse place perhaps within in the entire country, so I think it's rather ridiculous to compare Westchester to Forest Hills, or furthermore to go from one place to another and expect the same thing. It's always irritating to me when people move from one place that was one way and them come to another place and try to change things.
I am not trying to change things, or expect exactly the same, and if you'd read further down to one of my other comments you would see that I even mentioned how I should have prefaced my original post with the fact that I am not expecting anywhere near the same level/intensity of diversity that I experienced in Queens. I also explained in my original comment, that I am new to exploring Westchester and am simply asking honest questions of those who live in the county, in attempt to better understand the lay of the land, so to speak. I am not trying to "change" anything, nor am I expecting a carbon copy of Forest Hills. I just find that, from what I am seeing for myself and reading here on forums, "diversity" means something very different these days, especially as discussed on these Westchester forums.

In terms of returning to Forest Hills, sometimes we can't always "turn back the clock." It is still a diverse, and I believe wonderful place, but also very difficult now to find a decent single family home there for a remotely affordable price. Finances, and changing times, are what they are, and sometimes people do need to move onward with life and move to different areas. I accept that and am OK with it. I am also OK with change. This forum is, I assume, a place where people can learn from others' experience, which is all I am hoping to do.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bg7 View Post
Well said, bg7. My sentiments exactly.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilltopjay View Post
The word "diversity" is used today to insinuate an area that has a high number of blacks or latinos, very little whites. In other words, diversity is code word for a predominately "colored" community. They'd have you believe that Harlem or Mt. Vernon is diverse but Scarsdale isn't. Apparently it is the politically correct thing to do to embrace so called "diversity" because if you don't, you're a racist. This is the crazy world we live in today.

By the way, Mt. Vernon is really NOT diverse. We all know the predominate demographic there. Let's not kid ourselves.
I couldn't agree more!

Old 09-17-2014, 10:01 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,348,018 times
Quote:

It appears that there is some diversity in Mt. Vernon. Not just the type hilltopjay winkingly refers to, but people from all over Europe, Asia, and elsewhere as well. It seems Mount Vernon has notable Italian, Portuguese, French, Greek, Chinese, German, Philipino, Thai, Japanese, and Polish populations, and remember this list is of people for whom these are primary languages, not just self proclaimed ancestry census data.

Total
English 13,797
All languages other than English combined 5,142
Spanish or Spanish Creole 1,642
Italian 1,000
Portuguese or Portuguese Creole 929
French (incl. Patois, Cajun) 199
Greek 153
Chinese 145
French Creole 142
German 103
Tagalog 100
Other Asian languages 84
African languages 79
Thai 78
Japanese 67
Polish 64
Gujarathi 46
Hindi 45
Other Slavic languages 37
Arabic 31
Hebrew 28
Korean 27
Other Pacific Island languages 25
Persian 23
Other Indo-European languages 20
Scandinavian languages 14
Other West Germanic languages 14
Urdu 13
Serbo-Croatian 8
Russian 8
Other Indic languages 6
Armenian 6
Yiddish 6
Hungarian 0
Laotian 0
Miao, Hmong 0
Mon-Khmer, Cambodian 0
Navajo 0
Other and unspecified languages 0
Other Native North American languages 0
Vietnamese 0
Total: 18,939

http://www.mla.org/cgi-shl/docstudio...p_data_primary

Last edited by ABQConvict; 09-17-2014 at 10:16 PM..

Old 09-18-2014, 04:09 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,862,673 times
/\/\

Try actually living there and sending your kids to MV's schools and see for yourself if the experience jives with the numbers you posted.

Old 09-18-2014, 06:22 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,255,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
It appears that there is some diversity in Mt. Vernon. Not just the type hilltopjay winkingly refers to, but people from all over Europe, Asia, and elsewhere as well. It seems Mount Vernon has notable Italian, Portuguese, French, Greek, Chinese, German, Philipino, Thai, Japanese, and Polish populations, and remember this list is of people for whom these are primary languages, not just self proclaimed ancestry census data.

Total
English 13,797
All languages other than English combined 5,142
Spanish or Spanish Creole 1,642
Italian 1,000
Portuguese or Portuguese Creole 929
French (incl. Patois, Cajun) 199
Greek 153
Chinese 145
French Creole 142
German 103
Tagalog 100
Other Asian languages 84
African languages 79
Thai 78
Japanese 67
Polish 64
Gujarathi 46
Hindi 45
Other Slavic languages 37
Arabic 31
Hebrew 28
Korean 27
Other Pacific Island languages 25
Persian 23
Other Indo-European languages 20
Scandinavian languages 14
Other West Germanic languages 14
Urdu 13
Serbo-Croatian 8
Russian 8
Other Indic languages 6
Armenian 6
Yiddish 6
Hungarian 0
Laotian 0
Miao, Hmong 0
Mon-Khmer, Cambodian 0
Navajo 0
Other and unspecified languages 0
Other Native North American languages 0
Vietnamese 0
Total: 18,939

Data Center Results - Core Languages
I'm sorry but when you're in Mt. Vernon, the first type of people that smack you in the face when you first enter Mt. Vernon are blacks, not Italians or other whites. Lets me real here. So Mt. Vernon is NOT diverse by any means. Go to the high school and you can probably count with your fingers how many white students you see there. Diverse Mt. Vernon is NOT. I'm sorry.

Old 09-18-2014, 07:37 AM

93,278 posts, read 123,898,066 times
Quote:

I don't think that anyone would call Detroit diverse, eventhough its SW(and old money) sections actually are to varying degrees. So, I don't think that is completely true.

Sometimes it is a matter of degree/volume. For instance, Forest Hills doesn't have a lot of Black residents. They are there, but they make up about 3% of the population. So, to what extent of each group is also something to consider.

Like I mentioned with Detroit, much of Mount Vernon's diversity is in its North Side/Fleetwood area. You can view such demographics on the map here: Mount Vernon, NY (check the census tracts and census blocks for such information)

Here is some information on some of the Westchester and Rockland communities mentioned: White Plains, NY Population and Races

Elmsford, NY Population and Races

Port Chester, NY Population and Races

Ossining, NY Population and Races

Pelham, NY Population and Races

Tuckahoe village, NY Population and Races

Nyack, NY Population and Races
South Nyack, NY Population and Races
Valley Cottage, NY Population and Races

New City, NY Population and Races

Sometimes, school demographics can give you some insight into the diversity of an area as well and sometimes the school district may have some diversity, even if the actual community doesn't or the demographics are different due to another community feeding into that school district. I believe that Valhalla is an example of that. Valhalla, NY Population and Races
Valhalla Union Free School District
Valhalla Union Free School District Population and Races

2013 | VALHALLA UFSD - Enrollment Data | New York State Education Department Data Site
VALHALLA UFSD | New York State Education Department Data Site

So, that area may be another one to consider.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-18-2014 at 08:13 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County