Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-08-2015, 06:42 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,727,893 times

Advertisements

in southern westchester?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2015, 08:45 AM

562 posts, read 1,059,130 times
Check your local Home Depot. Although I'd usually prefer to buy from a mom-and-pop, the trees that I've purchased there were always the longest lasting, both when I lived on Long Island and here in Westchester. A 6-7 footer should run you about $40.

Old 12-08-2015, 09:47 AM

374 posts, read 1,059,312 times
the best bang for your buck is home depot. However, for convenience I go to the nursery up my street. I was back home in 20 minutes. Longest part was me picking the tree.

At home depot, depending on the crowd it may take you a bit to get the tree. It's also far from my home.

Another nursery near me offers delivery (free I think). But I dont really like them as their pricing is too high.

If I could find a nursery with prices closer to home depot prices, I'd be all over that. But I am guessing so would mos everyone else and trees would be out of stock.

Old 12-09-2015, 06:24 AM

192 posts, read 376,219 times
Home Depot has good trees for CHEAP! I bought an 8ft tree for $50. It's a nice full thick tree.

Nurseries tend to rape you.

Old 12-09-2015, 08:22 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,158,656 times
Christmas trees are all very similar, but if you have very specific tastes, it can get expensive. If you are looking for a cheap tree that will last, Home Depot or Lowes are fine places to go. However, if you want to go with a specific type of tree, it can be more difficult. I prefer to cut my own, so I go north where the price is usually $40 to $100 depending on the species of tree and the height. I sometimes even order mine to be delivered to me from Oregon because I love the Noble Fir species which is not available outside the Cascades and Pacific Northwest, but I can pay over $175 for this service for an 8 foot tree. Its all about taste. While I disagree that nurseries will rape you (I think its in poor taste to ever use the word rape to talk about overpaying for a tree, plus its simply not true that they overprice, they just do not buy in teh volume that Home Depot can so they can not offer as good a price) I understand that for many price point is the most important factor and then a large shop like Home Depot is fine. If you are looking for trees from a great grower out of northern Kentucky, there is a nursey on Oregon Road in cortlandt Manor called the Homestead who gets great trees from that area and they are in the $60 - $80 range for Frasiers and Balsams, favorites of mine, plus he gets eastern white pines out of northern mass which are gorgeous.

My only word, stay away from douglas firs, they have downward facing needles, drop needles fast, die quickly and I generally think they are the worst species for christmas trees. Just my opinion. Otherwise, good luck.

Old 12-10-2015, 08:37 PM

24 posts, read 50,952 times
We got ours at Stew Leanords and are happy with it

Old 12-11-2015, 12:58 PM

17,916 posts, read 24,373,234 times
Stew's.

Old 12-13-2015, 09:42 AM

195 posts, read 297,501 times
We've been getting them from Stu Leonard's for the past 5 years and I've been super happy with them every year.
Definitely worth the trip!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County