Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2015, 08:51 PM

4 posts, read 7,013 times

Advertisements

Hello - My husband and I intend to move to Westchester this year, from Carroll Gardens, Brooklyn. We have a 2 year old son. I work in Manhattan (Chelsea) and my husband will be joining his family business in New Paltz, NY (Ulster County). We'd like to find a town that's somewhere in between, with good schools. I would really love to live in a pretty town with charming housing stock from the 1920s-1940s. Our budget is ~$700k assuming taxes are $20k. We're fine with a small house but would prefer a little space between neighbors. We checked out the River Towns and love Dobbs Ferry and Irvington, though they seem to be outside of our price range. I visited Chappaqua and liked it a lot but the taxes are high and I'm concerned it may be too snobby. We love that our current Brooklyn neighbors are educated young families from varied and interesting backgrounds - a little yuppie but not too status-concious; hopefully we'll find a similar community in Westchester. Any help identifying towns would be much appreciated!! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2015, 05:46 AM

116 posts, read 373,419 times
Have you looked at Katonah or Pleasantville? You can find charm and a more laid-back vibe within your price range. Katonah's village is prettier and has slightly better schools, Pleasantville has better restaurants and a bigger farmer's market. Either is a better choice than Chappaqua if you like the vibe in the river towns. In Katonah, if you prefer a bit of space between neighbors, you can find it within a mile of the village/train station.

Old 01-14-2015, 06:32 AM

7,296 posts, read 11,868,687 times
Lots of Brooklyn people appear to be showing interest in Westchester of late.

OP - Consider also that while some towns/villages may not have a downtown vibe, you can drive to ones that do at your leisure. For example, from Ossining or Croton, one can drive to Peekskill, Pleasantville or Katonah for shopping/dining.

Old 01-18-2015, 07:49 PM

73 posts, read 142,340 times
I think chappaqua has the best schools in Westchester County, so I think its a good investment to buy a house there.

I don't think people will think you are snobby for wanting to live in a town with a good school system and nice houses??

A lot of people move to brooklyn to be trendy, but what is really cool and trendy is having the best quality of life.

If you can afford to go to chappaqua I would recommend it.

Old 01-22-2015, 07:46 PM

14 posts, read 26,091 times
Croton has good schools with plenty of new Brooklyn transplants who make the journey in each day. The housing stock in some of the neighborhoods is likely close to what you are looking for. The big upside is that from Croton you can take MetroNorth to Grand Central or those days that you want to spoil yourself, you take Amtrak to or from Penn Station. For how far north it is, the train schedules make the commute pretty much of a tossup with most of the river towns. And Peekskill does have that little bit of city edge a short drive away.

Old 01-23-2015, 04:21 AM

2,706 posts, read 3,383,576 times
All these areas mentioned are great (born and raised Ossining), but if you're thinking about commuting to New Paltz for work....HOLY CRAP !!!....that's a hike (IMO)

Old 01-23-2015, 07:04 PM

12 posts, read 19,706 times
http://www.downtownpeekskill.com/201.../#.VML9jNLF_CY

Old 01-24-2015, 06:17 PM

4 posts, read 7,013 times
Thanks, everyone, for your input! Much appreciated. We will check out Pleasantville and Croton. For reference the commute to New Paltz from Dobbs Ferry/Irvington is ~1 hour 10 minutes which is manageable (of course we'd have to do the drive because that assumes no traffic!) Katonah seems beautiful but a little too far to the city. Regarding Chappaqua - I don't care if people think we're snobby, but I do want to get along with our neighbors! Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.

Old 01-26-2015, 05:58 PM

62 posts, read 81,489 times
There are a lot of Brooklynites in Hastings as well.

Old 02-02-2015, 08:54 AM

83 posts, read 168,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bkbrett View Post
Katonah seems beautiful but a little too far to the city. Regarding Chappaqua - I don't care if people think we're snobby, but I do want to get along with our neighbors! Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to respond.
It all depends where you find a house. We live right in the Katonah village and walk home from the train. When I take the same train as my friend from Chappaqua, I get home before he does because he has to get to his car, wait to get out of the parking lot, etc.
And then on snowy days like this, the car can stay in the garage and I don't have to deal with it in the morning or after it has been sitting in the parking lot all day long getting covered in snow and ice.

We moved from the upper west side and we think Katonah is a perfect blend of living in the suburbs and still having the things we need within walking distance. The schools are great here and everyone is very involved but in a friendly sort of way, which is refreshing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County