Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 11:38 PM

2,846 posts, read 2,972,153 times

Advertisements

So, me and the fam stayed over in Tarrytown this past weekend- at the doubletree. I am originally from Norwood, NJ, just over the Tappan zee. We are basically doing our ground reconnaissance of where we may move to in the future. But I have heard about how WP is expensive and is not worth a move for any family.

But in the 2 days that I spent there, I could not get over the centralization and proximity to many areas. Downtown mamaroneck ave is really live at night and rye play land being of a short distance. I really enjoyed seeing the quaint, cozy homes that are situated not too far away from civility. It really brought me back home to a mix of while growing up in Northern NJ/Queens NYC.

I don't know but there is something about that general area that brings a sort of peace of mind. The diversity, the cleanliness, the people, etc.. And I tell you what, I am extremely sensitive to my immediate space. I am the type to get a sense of a place as soon as I land foot and do a couple turns around the block. And I will say, there is definitely something more than positive about white plains...

But having lived in South Florida for 10 years and now the DC area, them NY taxes are an eye opener.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2016, 07:58 AM

218 posts, read 606,146 times
I'm with you all the way. WP is going through another growth spurt that seems like its being managed well...so downtown is only going to become more lively.

The Highlands neighborhood in WP has some of the lowest taxes in Westchester. Generally ~90 year old houses, ~1700 sqft, ~50 ftx100 ft lots, ~$575k, ~$10k taxes, and right on the edge of downtown. An all around great spot if you like what WP has to offer.

Old 07-08-2016, 09:58 AM

175 posts, read 422,249 times
Short answer: yes

There's another thread on this board that started as a discussion of a particular vacant lot but has morphed into a general discussion of White Plains developments. It's worth reading through if you're considering a move to the area.

Old 07-08-2016, 10:32 AM

974 posts, read 1,413,654 times
White Plains is probably underrated in a sense because it has a high school, and school district in general, that is large and diverse (ethnically and economically). This is not for everyone, and affects people's opinions. The economic diversity more so than the ethnic I would hope for most. People of means of all ethnic backgrounds want to minimize their kid's exposure to kids who lack means, and who may come from single parent homes where supervision may be lacking and family problems may lead to increased exposure to drug/criminal behavior and away from academics/sports/activities. Kids who come from two family homes where money is plentiful have a much greater chance of being successful and avoiding negative behaviors, and these odds are increase if they are surrounded by similar kids and families.

Old 07-09-2016, 06:08 AM

1 posts, read 2,577 times
I just moved to White Plains this February, and find it a really nice place to live. I also had a great vibe from it that I wasn't getting from other Westchester towns. What I was really looking for were neighborhoods where: people knew each other, were walkable (to shops and schools), lots of green space and parks, and quick train ride to NYC. White Plains fit the bill, especially the Highlands neighborhood, with beautiful houses and huge trees.

So far I've been very impressed with the White Plains school system, my son had lived almost his life in Switzerland and I knew the US would be a culture shock. But Post Rd School was great at settling him into his class and helping him 'catch up' where needed.

My neighbors are super nice and help out each other. I can easily walk down the road for a glass of wine or an ice cream. I bike to work in 25 minutes along bike lanes *which seem to be the only ones in Westchester county.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:21 PM

2 posts, read 4,791 times
What about the Battle Hill in WP? Looking at a house in that area, but my husband and I are really unfamiliar with that area of WP. We haven't heard many good things about the area, but it doesn't look too bad from when we saw the house.

To give some context, we live in the Bronx and we are ready to move out because the people in our community just aren't taking care of where they live. There is always litter in front of my house or people do not clean up after their dogs and leave their mess right in front for me to clean. The apartment building right next door throws diapers out the window etc. You get the picture. We would like to have a bit more of a suburban feel for our next move.

We don't want to buy a house and be in that same situation. Diversity is not an issue for me, but what I care about is an area where people care for where they live. Any feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated.

Old 07-21-2016, 07:15 PM

115 posts, read 213,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oriza314 View Post
What about the Battle Hill in WP? Looking at a house in that area, but my husband and I are really unfamiliar with that area of WP. We haven't heard many good things about the area, but it doesn't look too bad from when we saw the house.

To give some context, we live in the Bronx and we are ready to move out because the people in our community just aren't taking care of where they live. There is always litter in front of my house or people do not clean up after their dogs and leave their mess right in front for me to clean. The apartment building right next door throws diapers out the window etc. You get the picture. We would like to have a bit more of a suburban feel for our next move.

We don't want to buy a house and be in that same situation. Diversity is not an issue for me, but what I care about is an area where people care for where they live. Any feedback would be greatly, greatly appreciated.
Battle Hill is a dense suburban neighborhood that's pretty close to what cities look like in most parts of the countries. The neighborhood as far as I know is perfectly safe and White Plains for the most part has next to 0 serious crime. Battle Hill is well taken care of and mostly blue collar. If I had to guess, I'd say it's roughly 60 percent Hispanic, with the other 40% being split roughly evenly between blacks and whites. I'd say most residents don't have a college education if that matters to you.

I know a couple people that used to live in the neighborhood, always saw kids playing outside and there seemed to be a family oriented feel, but obviously the downtown of white plains offers some nightlife if you need it. If you've looked anywhere else in Westchester, Battle Hill will be quite similar to the residential neighborhoods in Port Chester, New Rochelle, and particularly the flats in Mamaroneck.

Old 07-22-2016, 08:28 AM

2 posts, read 4,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by j8p123 View Post
Battle Hill is a dense suburban neighborhood that's pretty close to what cities look like in most parts of the countries. The neighborhood as far as I know is perfectly safe and White Plains for the most part has next to 0 serious crime. Battle Hill is well taken care of and mostly blue collar. If I had to guess, I'd say it's roughly 60 percent Hispanic, with the other 40% being split roughly evenly between blacks and whites. I'd say most residents don't have a college education if that matters to you.

I know a couple people that used to live in the neighborhood, always saw kids playing outside and there seemed to be a family oriented feel, but obviously the downtown of white plains offers some nightlife if you need it. If you've looked anywhere else in Westchester, Battle Hill will be quite similar to the residential neighborhoods in Port Chester, New Rochelle, and particularly the flats in Mamaroneck.
Thank you so much for your reply! It's super helpful. Always looking for more input if anyone has any experience or know of anyone with experience living in Battle Hill. Thanks again!

Old 08-03-2016, 02:54 PM

36 posts, read 65,030 times
Hi @Oriza314 -- I live in Battle Hill in the Hill condominium on McKinley so I can offer some insight into the area. For reference, my husband and I are renting our place, and plan on staying here until we're ready to buy a home and have kids. I was nervous to move in here given that I'd heard the area wasn't as "safe" as some others in Westchester, but I have never felt unsafe here at all. I am also a young, white, blonde woman and would probably make for a pretty easy target, if I'm being honest, and find this neighborhood to be completely safe. In fact, there are almost always families/large groups of children playing outside and people constantly walking to downtown or Central Ave on the other side of the hill. It's definitely a family friendly area.

That said, I wouldn't choose to buy a house in the neighborhood, personally. But that's only because the houses are too on top of each other for my taste, and my husband and I are gunning for that good old suburban sprawl for when the time comes. Still, the area serves our interests perfectly for right now and are enjoying most aspects of life here for a few years.

Let me know if I can answer anything else for you!

Old 08-03-2016, 08:00 PM

82 posts, read 91,140 times
Definitely underrated
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County