Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2017, 08:54 AM

2,440 posts, read 6,259,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaiChiMaster View Post
What is important is not what people call it, it is what are your legal rights.

You own stock, which you have to get permission from the Board before you can sell. This is an important consideration. I once looked at the database containing all coops put up for sale, and what I immediately noticed were the number that couldn't be sold. Sometimes waiting for Board approval will terminate a sale.

There is a reason condos sell for much more, the owner has deed of ownership and can sell to whomever they want whenever they want, without any prior approval from a Board. In the coop agreement, the owner of the shares is called a leasee with different rights than an ordinary leasee since it is a coop.
One reason they are cheaper is because the shareholders pay for the underlying mortgage on the building. Another reason is that there are fewer condos.

I think in Westchester your chances of the coop board turning down your buyer are slim to none. These days, I assume most have a pre-approved mortgage, and are probably vetted as much as possible by the realtors, who work for the sellers.

Sure, you can get some real jerk buyers who are turned down because they are so unlikable. But that's rare.

Other than having to divulge your financial life to your future neighbors, you have provided ZERO compelling reasons why not to buy a coop.

Here is an advantage of a coop. If a coop owner wants to sublease their unit, the coop board gives the prospective tenant an anal exam. And they limit the number of renters. In condos, you can rent to anybody and you can sell to anybody who can get a mortgage.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2017, 09:07 AM

259 posts, read 174,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubygreta View Post
One reason they are cheaper is because the shareholders pay for the underlying mortgage on the building. Another reason is that there are fewer condos.
Yes, this is important to understand. The corporation had an underlying mortgage that had to be paid off on top of the loan that the buyer may have to take out to pay for the shares. Boards have the ability to take out new mortgages depending upon the by-laws. That there are fewer condos would make no difference if ownership was legally equivalent. They are not. Condos suffer from many of the same issues associated with co-ownership of property including Boards and over-rental. Co-ownership is a general problem in any form.

Quote:
Sure, you can get some real jerk buyers who are turned down because they are so unlikable. But that's rare.
It is the time factor that makes the difference. Potential buyers have to wait for a Board decision as opposed to the condo's owner decision. This is huge. Also, bank loans for coops go through a different process since they are loans not mortgages.

Quote:
Other than having to divulge your financial life to your future neighbors, you have provided ZERO compelling reasons why not to buy a coop.
I wouldn't buy a coop for the reasons given and I know lots of buyers (including previous coop owners) and professionals who agree. Every person should decide for themselves based upon full information. I've heard real estate professionals describe it as no difference. This is incorrect and incomplete.

Both coops and condos incur similar problems associated with co-ownershio, e.g. Boards and over-rental. These and other issues should be considered when entering into real estate co-ownership agreements.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:49 AM

The OP asked about Garth Road and E. Hartsdale Avenue. She did not ask if it was a bad idea to purchase a coop. Thousands are purchased every year in Westchester County. These people are not stupid. If you have a long-term horizon and find something you like, it is a great alternative to renting.

Bank loans go thorough a different process? The OP doesn't care. Nobody cares.

Oh, and here is a nice thing about coops. There was not a foreclosure problem during the financial crisis. Why? Because boards typically require a minimum of 20% down, and often more. People have put 20% down are not walking away like people who put next to nothing down.

Time to move on here. The OP wants to buy a coop. Wish her luck that she finds a nice building with nice neighbors in a nice neighborhoods.

OP - You can't take a person seriously who uses the term "coop renter." I've been in the real estate industry since the 1980's, and I never ever heard it before.

Old 10-19-2017, 09:56 AM

Quote:

OP - You can't take a person seriously who uses the term "coop renter." I've been in the real estate industry since the 1980's, and I never ever heard it before.
Look Kat the coop agreements and law. Coop residents are referred to as lessors, because they are leasing. This is an extremely important legal distinction.

Since you are a realtor, this link may be helpful. It is important to understand the differences.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/what-is-a-co-op/

Old 10-19-2017, 10:31 AM

10 posts, read 15,892 times
Going back to the original post, my husband and I were in OP’s situation four years ago. We considered Garth Road and E. Hartsdale but chose the latter. We both liked the garden style co-op that was within walking distance to the train vs the huge apartment buildings. I don’t think Garth Road has garden style co-ops. We’ve never had any issues with assigned parking with our co-op, and there is a waiting list for garage spots that you can pay an additional fee for. There’s a street that runs through the co-op that other E Hartsdale residents park on, so I can’t speak for other co-ops parking situation. We are in a maisonette unit, so we have a private yard and a separate entrance. It has the feel of a house. The entire co-op is smoke free (in public areas) and dog free, but I have seen people walking their dogs despite the signs that say not to.

If you and your husband will be commuting via metro north on a daily basis, I personally feel like the Hartsdale station is less of a pain in the mornings. Express trains will typically arrive empty during morning rush hour, so your chances of getting a seat are very high. By the time the train makes it to Scarsdale, people get a little pushy with seats.

It took us about four months from offer to closing. I know of another unit in the co-op that had the same time frame when it sold recently. We found our agent through an open house and were happy with her.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Look Kat the coop agreements and law. Coop residents are referred to as lessors, because they are leasing. This is an extremely important legal distinction.

Since you are a realtor, this link may be helpful. It is important to understand the differences.

https://www.realtor.com/advice/buy/what-is-a-co-op/
I'm not a realtor.

There is no important legal distinction. Nobody gives a crap about that law you posted.

People BUY coops, they don't RENT coops. When you BUY something, you OWN something. In this case you OWN shares in a coop corporation that give you the right to occupy an apartment for the rest of your life. That is OWNERSHIP.

Hey, when you buy shares in Amazon, are you an owner of the stock, or are you a renter the the stock.

Old 10-19-2017, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRRA View Post
I don’t think Garth Road has garden style co-ops.
You are correct.

It's funny, but some people hate garden apartment buildings, and some people hate elevator apartment buildings.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:39 AM

Quote:
I'm not a realtor.

There is no important legal distinction. Nobody gives a crap about that law you posted.

People BUY coops, they don't RENT coops. When you BUY something, you OWN something. In this case you OWN shares in a coop corporation that give you the right to occupy an apartment for the rest of your life. That is OWNERSHIP.

Hey, when you buy shares in Amazon, are you an owner of the stock, or are you a renter the the stock.
Legal distinctions are very important. If I own Amazon stock, I can sell it whenever I want, I can gift it whenever I want, and I can do whatever I wish with it without the Board's permission.

Not so with coop ownership. The stock ownership permits me to vote for the Board members. Otherwise, the law considers me a lessee to the Coop Corporation with rights afforded to me by the state laws. I cannot relieve my self of the lease or sub-lease without Board permission. Condos are different in that I own the deed and can sell and transfer the deed without permission of the Board. It is still entirely different form of real estate ownership.

Banks most certainly recognize the difference as does the marketplace which is how this whole discussion started. In your case you don't care. I very much care. Differences in financial taste.

Old 11-02-2017, 10:31 PM

Quote:
Legal distinctions are very important. If I own Amazon stock, I can sell it whenever I want, I can gift it whenever I want, and I can do whatever I wish with it without the Board's permission.

Not so with coop ownership. The stock ownership permits me to vote for the Board members. Otherwise, the law considers me a lessee to the Coop Corporation with rights afforded to me by the state laws. I cannot relieve my self of the lease or sub-lease without Board permission. Condos are different in that I own the deed and can sell and transfer the deed without permission of the Board. It is still entirely different form of real estate ownership.

Banks most certainly recognize the difference as does the marketplace which is how this whole discussion started. In your case you don't care. I very much care. Differences in financial taste.
Look who crawled out from under his rock. Just when we thought we were done with him.

So those high finance gazilloinaires in Manhattan who buy coops have no clue what they are doing?

Old 11-03-2017, 02:32 PM

454 posts, read 763,740 times
Ruby, this man obviously has an ax to grind-just forget about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County