Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-04-2018, 10:38 AM

337 posts, read 356,835 times

Advertisements

I currently have my sights now on Ossining, White Plains and North White Plains for a place to buy my first home (More affordable, Less property taxes). I currently work for a city agency in Manhattan (East Side) and but could be placed in Brooklyn or Queens depending on my career track (advancement).

Purchasing a nice home in Queens or Brooklyn is prohibitively expensive for what you get in comparison (400-500K budget - Want an attached garage/better schools compared to NYC, etc), and I have no desire to live in Long Island. I already have a thread here about buying a home so don't need to get into more specifics than I already have here.

I'm just curious to know how many of you make similar commutes daily and how well you've adjusted to it - Whether it be by Metro North (i.e. if you work in the Bronx or Manhattan), or if you drive (Queens, Brooklyn)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 05:41 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,602 times
Not every day but drive it often enough. Depends on the time but typically brutal.

Today at like 2, took around 75 minutes to get to JFK from mid-Westchester County. Then took about an hour 15 minutes minutes to get back from Sheepshead Bay at like 5:30.

Both were some of the better commutes I have had that were not in the middle of the night.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:31 AM

2,211 posts, read 2,155,946 times
I worked fr 10 years going from Croton to Brooklyn (downtown courthouse/borough hall area). Nightmare and I would not wish the commute on anyone. I loved my job though, so I did it. The subway was the killer, completely unpredictable in terms of time. Some days 25 minutes from grand central to broklyn, some days 40 minutes, and everything in between. Made planning the trip home difficult, and missed trains by a few minutes several times per week. I tried driving and it was not faster. If I left very early, like 6 am, it was great, maybe 50 minutes from croton to brroklyn, but the way home, no matter when i left, was 90 minutes to two hours. It was not fun, but if you love the job, you do it. I have a few acres of wooded land and great neighbors. We love th eschool and decided to stay. I eventually moved ot midtwon, which was much better for me. Good luck!

Old 04-06-2018, 09:24 AM

7 posts, read 25,204 times
I commuted to midtown for years and was completely fine with it. I've now been commuting to the southern tip of manhattan for about 1.5 years and hate it. I only go in 2-3 times a week and still hate it! I'm in central westchester- 1 min from station- and the door to door is never less than 1:45 each way. With frequent train and subway delays, even if only a few minutes, the trip is often 2 hours each way. Completely agree with dr.strangelove about the unpredictability of the subway. when working in midtown I only had to leave 7 minutes to get to my train at GC and there was never an issue. Now I have to plan for at least 30 minutes to get from office to GC and often there are delays and i'll miss my train. to be safe, i need to leave 40 minutes or so. I have other family factors that make the commute that much more intolerable, and to be sure it's a personal decision, but it is pretty rough. The train to GC is nice and relaxing, the next leg- not so much!

Old 08-18-2018, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr.strangelove View Post
I worked fr 10 years going from Croton to Brooklyn (downtown courthouse/borough hall area). Nightmare and I would not wish the commute on anyone. I loved my job though, so I did it. The subway was the killer, completely unpredictable in terms of time. Some days 25 minutes from grand central to broklyn, some days 40 minutes, and everything in between. Made planning the trip home difficult, and missed trains by a few minutes several times per week. I tried driving and it was not faster. If I left very early, like 6 am, it was great, maybe 50 minutes from croton to brroklyn, but the way home, no matter when i left, was 90 minutes to two hours. It was not fun, but if you love the job, you do it. I have a few acres of wooded land and great neighbors. We love th eschool and decided to stay. I eventually moved ot midtwon, which was much better for me. Good luck!
This simply requires Metro North to the 4/5. How was this that horrible? You also have the A, C, F and R in the area. Was it simply the subway ride back that was nightmarish?

Old 08-19-2018, 07:14 AM

71 posts, read 133,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThatCareerGuy View Post
This simply requires Metro North to the 4/5. How was this that horrible? You also have the A, C, F and R in the area. Was it simply the subway ride back that was nightmarish?
Simple is not a synonym for easy. After getting to your local MN station (walk/drive and park), metro north in, a subway ride on top of that becomes tough. A 30 minute trip to another boro adds a whole additional layer of stress and frustration. Simple on paper, a real PITA in real life.

Old 08-20-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklynbutlooking View Post
Simple is not a synonym for easy. After getting to your local MN station (walk/drive and park), metro north in, a subway ride on top of that becomes tough. A 30 minute trip to another boro adds a whole additional layer of stress and frustration. Simple on paper, a real PITA in real life.
Point taken. As someone who lived in far eastern Queens who is already used to 90-120 min commutes by bus and subway, I didn't think it was that big of a deal. After visiting some places in Westchester and Putnam where one lane roads can have serious backups, I can empathize a bit. But it just means getting up earlier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County