Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-18-2018, 09:41 AM

218 posts, read 605,884 times

Advertisements

Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T. Can any AT&T customers comment on cell phone coverage in Westchester, specifically around White Plains. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2018, 02:56 PM

1,594 posts, read 3,576,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommya View Post
Thinking of switching from Verizon to AT&T. Can any AT&T customers comment on cell phone coverage in Westchester, specifically around White Plains. Thanks.
Verizon definitely has better NY service but I switched to AT&T because I like being able to look at things online while talking, and AT&T has better service in most other places. Also, I have found AT&T customer service to be wonderful to deal with.

Another reason I switched was rollover minutes but I have since switched to unlimited. In retrospect, not a Verizon fan and wouldn't switch back for no money.

Old 06-19-2018, 09:49 PM

180 posts, read 214,814 times
You'll have no trouble in WP or anywhere south of WP. Only issue you may run into is if you ride Metro North at peak hours things may load slowly, but that'll happen with any carrier, and the signal is still technically strong. It's a pretty well-developed (if not overdeveloped) area down there, the cellular infrastructure is certainly up to date. Sometimes my signal gets a bit sketchy if I'm inside a store in one of the lower levels of The Westchester mall but if that's the worst thing that happens that's pretty good.

If you ever venture into northern Westchester, there's a dead zone out in the back woods of Croton (near Yorktown border), a couple spots where it drops in North Salem, sketchy signal out in the eastern part of YKT Heights (Sparkle Lake neighborhood), and a huge dead zone through all of Cross River and into the heart of Bedford Village along the Rt-121 corridor. But that's their own stupid fault, they literally protest against putting cell towers up, "preserve historic Cross River" or whatever the big ugly signs they put in their front yards say. Guess money can't buy brains

Verizon customers seem to fare a little better in those areas but not a whole lot. Personally I'm happy with ATT, going through those dead zones is a minor inconvenience but I'm not in any of those places frequently enough for it to bother me.

Old 06-20-2018, 09:31 AM

218 posts, read 605,884 times
Thank you both. I'm convinced, now just need to get the wife on board...

Old 06-20-2018, 02:38 PM

2,210 posts, read 2,154,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tommya View Post
Just to throw another idea out there, I was tired of the costs of Verizon, but we switched to Total Wireless, which uses Verizon's network. There is no down throttle of speeds, it is essentially the same as being a Verizon customer, but much cheaper. My bill was cut by over 60%. We have the 4 phone plan, unlimited talk and text and 25GB shared data for $95 per month. When we switched, the same service under Verizon was costing me over $200 per month.

If you need more data, its $10 per 5GB, but we, with a teenage daughter and a tween son, have never gone over 25GB per month.

My only negative comment is the customer service is based in India and it is not the best overall service I have ever had. But, my only time i have ever called was to set up the phones, then to change a phone. Otherwise we have never had a problem. Just food for thought, though is customer service is a big deal for you, I would go to AT&T. If costs is the main reason to switch, you may want to look in to Total Wireless. Good luck to you, let me know if I can answer any questions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County