Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-07-2008, 07:57 PM

2 posts, read 15,190 times

Advertisements

After reading on this forum for awhile one sentiment stood out: Elmsford & Greenburgh are full of people who aren’t white; are “ghetto”; are suitable only for the scum of the earth.

Is there anyone out there who has actually lived in these areas that would be kind enough to chime in?

Where do you all see these places in 5 years? 10? Will they be avoided like the plague and become steaming piles surrounded by gold? Will they improve by virtue of new middle class buyers?
Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2008, 09:56 PM

19 posts, read 110,112 times
Both areas have thier good to great parts filled with your typical families, prof. singles, etc. Of course, there are also parts that are very street like - and not your first choice to move into.

School System:
If you have children who would be attending schools - the Greenburgh Public School system is ok up till about 5-6th grade tops. Afterwards, the schools get very street like. If you have kids with special needs - you'll have to stay on top of them every step of the way.

Crime:
There are statistics available. To be honest, I have lived in Hartsdale for 6 years. During that time, I had my car broken into twice and our bikes stolen (I got them back - no thanks to the local police).

Funny thing is that I was born and raised in the Bronx - never had these issues (and I wasn't in the greatest section either).

Centrally located in Westchester - you have easy access throughout. Central Avenue has lots of shopping, food, etc. Plenty of access to highways - 287, Sprain, Saw Mill, Rt 119, Central Ave, etc.
River towns are a pain with trafffic and limited ways to get in and out.

Caution on home buying - stay away from the area right next to Saw Mill River Parkway. That area is prone to FLOODING on a fairly regular basis.

Hope it helps.

Old 01-09-2008, 08:32 PM

1 posts, read 7,590 times
Talking Elmsford!

I know you never been there! I know areas you can not aford in Elmsford, NY ($850,000. to 3 mil per home) in many areas of this town.
Most people don't know what their talking about. That's why very few don't drive a benz, have a full time business, have a boat etc.
Clueless

Old 01-10-2008, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 15,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorpeWorld View Post
I know you never been there! I know areas you can not aford in Elmsford, NY ($850,000. to 3 mil per home) in many areas of this town.
Most people don't know what their talking about. That's why very few don't drive a benz, have a full time business, have a boat etc.
Clueless
I'm glad someone is speaking out about this! It looks like there are some nice affordable homes in this town. What's your opinion on the future of real estate in Elmsford?

Old 01-10-2008, 07:12 PM

19 posts, read 110,112 times
Parts of Elsmford & Greenburgh are and will be very stable. The question is affordabilility. The desirable areas can be pricey still.

Best thing to do is to drive around the areas - all around. It wont be hard to find out where you dont want to go.

Be careful in particular with Elsmford. There is a nice section right of 9A - but it's flood prone. Click on link for more info...

FLOOD-CONTROL PROJECT IS OUTLINED FOR SAW MILL - New York Times

Old 01-14-2008, 03:01 PM

43 posts, read 162,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bismarkqq View Post
I'm glad someone is speaking out about this! It looks like there are some nice affordable homes in this town. What's your opinion on the future of real estate in Elmsford?
The property values of the entire county are driven by the quality of the various school systems. Elmsford does not have a reputation for top schools, so it's values are middle of the road. That's where they'll stay.

Old 05-21-2008, 02:21 PM

178 posts, read 667,750 times
Look at activerain.com and it has information on most of the Westchester towns and some pictures too.

You have some terrific areas of Greenburgh, part of Elmsford is on a The Knollwood Country Club. Part of it is in the Pocantico Hills School district, which is VERY GOOD!

All the best!

Kevin O'Shea

Old 05-23-2008, 11:44 AM

100 posts, read 530,494 times
Parts of Elmsford are good others are not. Take a look at Ardsley, which borders Elmsford. It had a great school system and from what I understand it still does. Its a great town. I grew up there so I ought to know.

Old 05-28-2008, 09:47 AM

40 posts, read 150,983 times
I grew up in Greenburgh (prior to age 9 I lived in NYC) and back then it was a wonderful place to raise a family. My mother and aunt's and uncle's and some of my cousins grew up there as well. Just like any town, village, city your are gonna have good parts of town and not so good parts of town. White Plains, Elmsford, Peekskill, Ossining, Ardsley, Hawthorne, etc... had some nice ares as well. The close proximity to the big city, culture, arts and entertainment, shopping of NYC was great growing up. There's no place like NYC but Westchester county is a nice area. Very expensive, but nice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County