Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2008, 07:10 PM

15 posts, read 59,707 times

Advertisements

Hi!

I am undecided whether I should move and send my daughter to public school or stay in the bronx and send my daughter to Maria Regina High School in Hartsdale. If I would move I would try to move to Eastchester. Which do you think would provide my daughter with a better education? Has anyone gone to Maria Regina and have an opinion of it? Has anyone gone to Eastchester High School and have and opinion of it? Also, my daughter has gotten into all honors classes in Maria Regina. Would Eastchester High School be able to match this? I have already registered for Maria Regina, but I could always not send my daughter. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2008, 07:16 PM

305 posts, read 1,894,611 times
I think it depends where you want to live and what type of education you want your DD to have. Maria Regina is a good school but like all parochial schools, b/c its not supported by tax $$, you will find less services and offerings. That doesn't mean that the education your DD will receive will be inferior.

It also depends on if you want your daughter to have a catholic education. I have a dear friend in the Eastchester School District who chose to send her daughter to Catholic school b/c she wanted her to be in a religious setting.

Do you want to leave the Bronx? Will you be moving just b/c of your DD's school? If that's the only reason you're planning on leaving then it may not make sense (unless you have other children) b/c you will basically have to pay higher taxes for the rest of your life even after DD moves on. The taxes in the Bronx are much lower than in Eastchester. On the other hand, Eastchester is a nice town.

I would say move only if you want to move to Westchester, not b/c you want to send your DD to highschool for 4 years.

Old 03-11-2008, 07:36 PM

15 posts, read 59,707 times
If I was to move I would only be renting. I am probably going to move but I have Maria Regina to fall back on if I don't.

Old 03-18-2008, 11:56 AM

371 posts, read 1,566,771 times
I think they were talking about closing Maria Regina about two years ago. You should really look into it before you send her there.

Old 03-03-2009, 12:27 PM

87 posts, read 164,679 times
Maria Regina is not closing. It is a very good Cathloic school and they do provide a well rounded education. My daughter is a junior there and I am very happy with the school. It was the right fit for her.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:49 PM

7 posts, read 23,494 times
Your daughter has probably been enrolled at one school or another, but as a 1988 graduate of Maria Regina, I have come to realize this: most nuns are nowhere near academics and in this day and age you really need proactive counselors and progressive thinkers. Everyday I took the yellow bus to MR from the Northwest Bronx and while it was a safe place for me to go and I got out of the Bronx, it wasn't, for the most part, any kind of challenge. I wanted more than they were willing and able to provide. Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Westchester County