Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 10:56 AM

109 posts, read 353,121 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone --

I've been glued to the computer for the past couple of days putting a plan together for our Oct. trip to WNC and have really enjoyed reading a lot of the posts here –there's a lot of great info here.

I'm originally from NC so this is a bit of a nostalgia trip for me as my parents and I vacationed in this area when I was a child. I'm now looking forward to taking my 4 year old son and hope he will love it as much as I did.

Before I start making reservations, though, I'd like to get a little feedback from the natives. Our main focus on this trip is to enjoy nature, do some great easy to moderate hikes with views/waterfalls, hear some bluegrass or mountain music, see the stars.

I know we're doing a bit of moving around but for the most part we don't mind moving around as long it's not too overwhelming. Also, I wanted to get a taste the High Country, Highlands, and the Smoky Mtns. since I don't know when we are going to be able to return.

Here's the general plan:

Drive from Chicago area to Knoxville and overnight there.

The first day, we'll take a leisurely drive from Knoxville to Julian Price campground with a stop along the way near Roan Mountain for hiking around Carver's Gap. The next day we'll take our son to Tweetsie RR. After leaving Tweetsie we'll drive about an hour (according to google maps), and stay 2 nights at the Bear Den campground near Spruce Pine. Some activities we may do from here are: 1) the apple orchard at Altapass; 2) go to Linville Falls or 3) drive to Hot Springs area and hike Max Patch.

After Spruce Pine, we will drive (2 hours) to the Davidson River campground (with a stop along the way to do the Crabtree Falls hike) and stay here 3 or 4 nights. Some activities we may do from here are: French Broad canoe trip, hike Dupont Park waterfalls, Looking Glass Falls, Cradle of Forestry, Graveyard Fields.

After Davidson River, we'll drive (1.5 hours) to Bryson City for 3 nights in a cabin (complete with fireplace, outdoor firepit and hot tub by a creek – ahh! camping is for hubby and son – this one's for me ). From here we'd like to go to Cataloochee Valley for hiking and to see the elks. Other stuff we have as possibilities from here are: Clingman's Dome/Andrews Bald; the shorter LeConte hike; Rainbow Falls/Gorges State Park; Whiteside Mountain/Glen Falls; Oconoluftee Visitor Center/Mtn. Farm Museum/Mingus Mill. We also may check out the Music in the Mountains event at Bryson City.

Then it's back home.

Here are some questions I have:

Drive times:
I got the drive times from google maps. Are they fairly accurate? How much additional time should I allow for driving since it's during the leaf season?

Activities:
Is it possible to go to Max Patch from Spruce Pine as a day trip? Do the other activities I have listed make sense to do from the places we'll be staying? Of the activities I have listed for Bryson City, are some more convenient for doing from that area than others – which ones would you recommend doing from here? Is Oconaluftee/Mingus a good activity or is it more of a tourist trap – it seems to get very mixed reviews on tripadvisor. Have I missed anything – our son enjoys hiking, being outside, but are there any must-dos for kids that I have missed?

Safety:
Will the French Broad Canoe trip from Rosman (we'll do the shorter 3-hour trip) be calm enough for a 4 year old? He has been on other calm canoe trips with us before.

Do you have any waterfall safety advice...I'm a little nervous about that since we'll be taking our son. Not worried about myself, but sometimes I think hubby takes a few more risks in these type places than I do as he's a more confident swimmer and more sure-footed than I am...and this scares me!

Will any of these routes be along super curvy roads with no guard rails?

Campgrounds:
Are there any loops at either Julian Price or Davidson River that are more desirable than others? I've read that at Julian Price some people prefer the lake, but others say the lake is too noisy/crowded and that you get more privacy in Loop B I think? Are all DR sites pretty secluded and not on top of each other?

If you're still with me, thanks for reading and I do appreciate any feedback.

TM
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2011, 03:12 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,314,247 times
expect driving to take longer than projected, traffic, leaf lookers, hairpin curves, up and down steep grades. Perhaps pick a couple places you remember and just take it easy.

Old 07-25-2011, 04:14 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
Max Patch to Linville is going to be almost 2 hours one way and if you are in spruce pine I think you'd be way better of staying there. There are plenty of places to hike and things to do there. There are gem mining places all over that could kill a half day, grandfather mountain is neat and has a nice little nature center, not to mention the linville caverns.

We camped at bear den a lot when I was younger. Have some great memories there. Hope you enjoy it!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,629,141 times
I went to Clingman's Dome earlier this year and it was great, the hike from the parking lot can be hard for people who aren't in the best shape for walking up the steep road. Never camped in NC though. There's a nice mexican place on the left in Maggie Valley coming on that main road from cherokee.

Yes there are plenty of roads around and in the mountains with no gaurd rails, u really have to be careful and don't let any jerkoff behind u make u go faster.

My grandma drives to the mountains just to see the leaves turn in the fall.

Google map gives a good estimate of the time it takes to drive there, but remember u have to add on a couple hours if that's how long u make stops on the way, like eating or taking a nap at a rest area.

Old 07-25-2011, 08:21 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,822,690 times
You can do Linville Falls (and Linville Caverns, nearby) and the Orchard all in one day. I used to go camping there and they're close together.

Bear in mine that October is BY FAR the busiest time of year anywhere in the mountains. Expect long lines at every restaurants every night (we once called to ask about reservations and they kind of laughed and said "It's October, we don't take reservations").

All that driving and you aren't going to Asheville/Biltmore? That's a wonderful day trip in itself. Also check out Blowing Rock.

Old 07-26-2011, 09:47 AM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terramama View Post
Drive times:
I got the drive times from google maps. Are they fairly accurate? How much additional time should I allow for driving since it's during the leaf season?
google maps should be pretty accurate....however, do you have a GPS? Just use that or even go buy one if you dont....you can buy them pretty cheap now.

Quote:
Safety:
Will the French Broad Canoe trip from Rosman (we'll do the shorter 3-hour trip) be calm enough for a 4 year old? He has been on other calm canoe trips with us before.
I live just a couple miles from Rosman and went to HS there, and also, the FB river runs along our bottom land, so I know the river pretty well. A 4yr old should fine, but follow all responsible precautions. Me personally(not having kids, but a 5 year old niece), I wouldnt, but that's not really because of the river itself, just me being maybe a little too cautious.

Quote:
Do you have any waterfall safety advice...I'm a little nervous about that since we'll be taking our son. Not worried about myself, but sometimes I think hubby takes a few more risks in these type places than I do as he's a more confident swimmer and more sure-footed than I am...and this scares me!
as a firefighter in this area, please do not go beyond what is posted on signs as far as being close to a waterfall.....matter of fact, stay away from the tops of waterfalls up to probably 100 yards(maybe even 200 yards depending on the current at some waterfalls) or so from the drop. You dont know how many times we get called out for people who dont have any experience around waterfalls that get too close to the edge. it's very slippery and as soon as you make one little slip, you're done. I'm being very serious here.....heed my advice. By being irresponsible and getting too close, that person is even risking my safety as a rescue worker if you go off and we have to come get you, whether they're still alive or dead.

Quote:
Will any of these routes be along super curvy roads with no guard rails?
most places have guardrails, but some dont.
Quote:
Campgrounds:
Are there any loops at either Julian Price or Davidson River that are more desirable than others? I've read that at Julian Price some people prefer the lake, but others say the lake is too noisy/crowded and that you get more privacy in Loop B I think? Are all DR sites pretty secluded and not on top of each other?
as far as DR, it's not that big of a campground, so you'll be fairly close to other campers.

Old 07-26-2011, 10:30 AM

442 posts, read 1,509,460 times
The canoe trip at Rosman is fine for a 4-year old - the water is warm and gentle. At Hot Springs they offer a rafting trip that has virtually no rapids (it's a float trip) that allows 4-year olds. Regarding the waterfalls - please don't let go of the 4-year olds' hand - we visited may falls in June and it is very slippery - enjoy the views but stay away from the falls. Graveyard fields is a good hike to do with a young child as it is mostly level and there is a nice creek. Flat Laurel Creek is another good hike with kids and is in the same area - perhaps a little less crowded.

Old 07-26-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loves mountains View Post
The canoe trip at Rosman is fine for a 4-year old - the water is warm and gentle.
gentle, yes....warm, no. No river, stream, or creek, gets warm in the mountains during the summer.

Old 07-26-2011, 02:02 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,470,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
gentle, yes....warm, no. No river, stream, or creek, gets warm in the mountains during the summer.

Most rivers yes, but have you been in the french broad? It definitely gets warm.

Old 07-27-2011, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
Most rivers yes, but have you been in the french broad? It definitely gets warm.

the FB runs along our bottom land. Does it get warmer? Sure, a few degrees I'm sure, but by no means would you classify it as warm. It isnt like the ocean where it heats up during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina