Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 01:37 AM

1,049 posts, read 4,011,833 times

Advertisements

Jan,

Glad you've made the leap to NC, do you still have the same Realtor/neighbor? I'm fearful of the effect of the credit crisis is having on finances, especially on the home prices that your lovely home is at. I'm hoping that you have better luck than most are having on the selling front right now.

Again, welcome to NC, have a safe trip and if you pass thru Kansas City on your drive, I'd have a cup of coffee with ya.

Tony
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:12 AM

16 posts, read 50,839 times
Arrow You will!!!! love it - Serenity granted

I have lived in North Asheville for 17 years and have just decided to move to Hendersonville by the end of this month!!! I am very excited as well!! Asheville is also still good but just growing too fast for me. I have three really great friends that have moved to H'ville in the last year. Both work for non-profits there and both have lived in North Asheville for as long as I have. The concensus is that H'ville is like Asheville was 15 years ago, still a small town feel with great attitude of those involved. H'ville has more people that are native but not hard to be accepted there. Very open minded but no liberal. I can speak of the spiritual community personally as involved with many in Emmaus Community from there. Great people!!! Hope it is a great move for you and me. I have been a Realtor in Ashville for 14 years so big move business wise too. We'll see but very excited. There are always those who don't like wherever they are and always looking to the othe rside of the fence maybe that was the hotel employee's ilk. Good Luck and Godspeed!!!! Full steam ahead

Carolinawit

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 09-16-2007 at 03:54 PM.. Reason: Don't solicit for business by including your email address.

Old 09-16-2007, 05:34 PM

442 posts, read 1,511,050 times
Congrats Parkies - Best of luck - We were just in Asheville area last weekend showing our friends where we will be building our new home (and lives) and they stayed the rest of the week and ended up buying 1.7 acres at The Branches at East Fork - not planning to build anything any time soon - but fell in love with the mountains and wanted to own a small piece of it. So now when we move in '09 - we will have our closest friends nearby with a vacation home. Amen, Father John - live well - show kindness - and life will be it's own reward

Old 09-16-2007, 05:46 PM

36,454 posts, read 16,060,830 times
I just spent a week in Sacramento at my daughter's, lived east of there for 30 years. Yes its laid back, (her and her fiance and neighbor's), yes everything was close. Yes it was very expensive. Yes it was dry. When I woke up Saturday ( oops noonish) having gotten home at 1am'ish, I went outside, the sky was bluer, the grass was green not brown and God it was beautiful, I even missed my Kudzu backyard!! You will love it here.

Welcome home Parkies!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:37 AM

758 posts, read 2,289,654 times
Smile God bless us every one!

Hi, "every one"!

It is so good to have time to post responses to all of you who helped us keep our heads above water this week! After the boxers came the movers, then the driver. At the same time, I was tuning my hammered dulcimer in preparation for playing with my ensemble for our last wedding(!) this past Saturday. Suddenly our realtor-friend announces that we have just received the first offer on our San Diego house!!! You’re kidding. NOW??

It’s not a very exciting offer—by an investor who threw offers at six homeowners at once, we heard, and will take the lowest lowball deal he can find--but an offer nevertheless--so stop everything you’re doing, Parkies, and get together a counter-offer!

Meanwhile two other showings... carpet cleaning... window washing... saying goodbye (for now) to several couples we’re close to... and doing this and more on three or four hours of sleep a night. Today we finally got some rest and are enjoying a relaxed pace again. Tonight we fly to NC!!

Thank you, southernlady5464!! Your big welcome is “Southern Comfort,” indeed!!

Father John, you need to cheer up! I like that--“dance on the back of the real estate market”—what a concept—lately we’ve just been thumbing our noses at it—but dancing is good! I’m going to take up tap, in fact—no lie—with the wife of my (Black Mountain) dulcimer maker. I want to learn to clog, too. As soon as we register at church and get groceries in, I’m off dancing!

Fastfilm, I’ve been following your posts with keen interest. Here in San Diego we have no shoes; there in L.A. you have no feet; we hurt for you! P.S. We are Catholic, so we will be in the minority in NC. No matter. We agree with southernlady5464 that people everywhere accept and appreciate “decent people” whatever their faith—so long as they respect the faith of others. We’ll be thinking about you!

LiveLoveLaugh, thank you for the encouragement. We hope after two years to have as many bruises on our bodies as you do (from pinching ourselves, of course)!!

Thanks for the good wishes, Tony1790! You’re right, of course, about the credit crisis. Yes, we have the same great realtor-neighbor-friend who keeps bringing other realtors and their clients to our house (twice this weekend). There’s a couple right now who want our house very badly but can’t get enough credit to buy it without selling their own house first—and who knows when that will be? But hey—we’ll keep the faith!! (P.S. Kansas City isn’t on the itinerary this trip, but we hope to meet you some day in WNC!)

Carolinawit, I really appreciate your post and hope we can have coffee in H’ville soon. Good luck with your happy move--!

Loves mountains, thank you--that’s a wonderful story about your friends! I can totally relate! Happy for you and them!

Tasmtairy, thank you for confirming that it’s “all relative.” Bill and I thirst for rain so much that we actually built a vacation around it last year—we drove for two weeks through northern CA in April and God poured rain on us almost every day! It must be hard for some folks to understand how dry the soul can get!! YES—we're “coming home” to the mountains. Thank you, too, for the welcome.

GOD BLESS YOU ALL!!

Jan & Bill

P.S. Oh my. I'm suddenly a "Senior" Member. How genuine is that! LOL!

Last edited by the Parkies; 09-17-2007 at 11:46 AM..

Old 09-17-2007, 06:23 PM

1,398 posts, read 6,611,135 times
Jan and Bill, thank you for taking the time throughout all the moving madness to address me in these forums. No wonder people like us need to escape California- we're too nice!

I'm looking forward to hearing more American-based music forms too, something that's becoming increasingly rare here in Los Angeles. Perhaps I can look forward to hearing an occasional Richard & Mimi Farina dulcimer cover by you in addition to traditional mountain fare.

Old 09-17-2007, 07:53 PM

758 posts, read 2,289,654 times
Talking Two dulcimers

[quote=fastfilm;1519274 Perhaps I can look forward to hearing an occasional Richard & Mimi Farina dulcimer cover by you in addition to traditional mountain fare.[/QUOTE]

I WISH, fastfilm! I play the hammered dulcimer, mentioned in the Old Testament, discovered by scholars in 5th C. Persia, cousin to the ancient harp, and grandmother of the piano and harpsichord. Mine (a professional model) has more than a hundred strings. It's a percussive instrument played with mallets ("hammers").

Richard Farina played only (as far as I know) the other dulcimer native to the Appalachians and known by four names: mountain dulcimer, fretted dulcimer, lap dulcimer, and Appalachian dulcimer. It has three or four strings, usually, and is a lovely accompaniment to voice.

My goal is to play my dulcimer, solo and in ensemble, for weddings and other special events--and to volunteer that same music whereever it's needed. I have no recording ambitions. And if I sang in public (a la Mimi)... well... I don't even wanna go there!!!

The hammered dulcimer isn't a bluegrass instrument (darn!), but FOLK music (traditional, Celtic) native to the Appalachians already has a piece of my heart, and I will definitely play it with joy!

Jan

Old 09-18-2007, 08:40 AM

70 posts, read 219,717 times
We are also anxious to get there from Florida. We have to sell our condo though and would rather take the hit on the price since our mortgage is so low (thankfully, we never refinanced all these years)....have a contract on our dream home in Fletcher (needs renovating and we will enjoy that, if you can believe it)..can't wait.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:04 AM

45,217 posts, read 100,834,423 times
Dear Parkies, I look forward to your next post when you tell us about your cross country journey and getting settled in your new home!

Thinking of you...

Old 09-20-2007, 07:31 AM

485 posts, read 563,081 times
I can just add a "me, too" to the posts here. The Parkies are terrific people and I hope all goes well for them in the move. The rest of you are wonderful, too. I am so glad I found this place for sharing our common love of North Carolina and the adventures that bring us together. Thank you!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina