Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-26-2013, 07:49 PM

172 posts, read 290,069 times

Advertisements

Wondering what the night life options are for alternative establishments or clubs in AVL. I am looking for places where my partner and I can dress up in unique outfits, and unusual or "gender-questionable" appearance is not going to be a problem. Also what is the smoke situation there? We are not too keen on being stuck in a smoke chamber so they have separately-ventilated area for that or disallow it altogether?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2013, 07:49 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,347,028 times
Are you looking for live music venues? Orange Peel, Grey Eagle, Jack of the Wood all offer live music. Other places, too. I don't think unusual outfits or gender-questionable is going to be too much of a problem most places in the city of Asheville. Outside town it could be an issue.

Old 01-28-2013, 09:54 PM

172 posts, read 290,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Are you looking for live music venues? Orange Peel, Grey Eagle, Jack of the Wood all offer live music. Other places, too. I don't think unusual outfits or gender-questionable is going to be too much of a problem most places in the city of Asheville. Outside town it could be an issue.
Great - I'll have to check into those places before I visit. I was thinking more of dance clubs but also like live music, particularly jazz/prog/soft rock, dreampop, or 80's bands. But I'll go for just about anything that is not country & hiphip.

I hear ya on the outside-of-town thing - but how well-defined is that? I wonder if there are streets, or areas where you cross and you are suddenly out of the city and in a different mindset.

Old 01-29-2013, 07:54 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
I hear ya on the outside-of-town thing - but how well-defined is that? I wonder if there are streets, or areas where you cross and you are suddenly out of the city and in a different mindset.
I guess it depends on how unusual (or gender-questionable) you are. People anywhere may get upset by a guy in a skirt.

Old 01-29-2013, 08:04 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maulotaur View Post
Wondering what the night life options are for alternative establishments or clubs in AVL. I am looking for places where my partner and I can dress up in unique outfits, and unusual or "gender-questionable" appearance is not going to be a problem. Also what is the smoke situation there? We are not too keen on being stuck in a smoke chamber so they have separately-ventilated area for that or disallow it altogether?
For a dance club ....
: GROVE HOUSE :
This complex is pretty great. I've not been to Scandals in a while but we have been to the Boiler Room for drag shows.

Also, this is one of my favorite downtown spots. It's a very grown up crowd.
Tressa's Jazz & Blues Club of Asheville

Also - I've not been here in ages and ages but it used to be pretty fun maybe a Yelp review can give you a better idea about it now.
www.clubhairspray.com

Regardless of where you and your partner go, I think you will find that Asheville is a very open minded city and that you typically won't have too much problems. I would be more concerned about you being agressively panhandled downtown than bothered because of your gender/orientation

Oh and as far as the smoking goes ... North Carolina passed a law a few years ago where you can't smoke in restaurants or bars it's nice to go out and not come home smelling of an ashtray

Have fun out!

Old 01-29-2013, 08:09 AM

1,603 posts, read 3,251,218 times
Oh and to add to this ... if you stay in the downtown area you'll be fine. The suburbs are a little more conservative.

Oh and don't let Goldenage (the name says it all) tell you that people get butt hurt over a guy in a skirt ... I'm telling you while some may take notice and may be crappy, the most that would happen is a sideway glance or two. The majority of people in Asheville are very open minded and really just like to have fun and let others live their life the way they see fit without them telling them how to do it.

*climbs off soapbox*

Old 01-29-2013, 12:30 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,059,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Halo_in_reverse View Post
Oh and don't let Goldenage (the name says it all) tell you that people get butt hurt over a guy in a skirt ...
I understand that some people like to play with gender roles, and I wasn't quite sure what the OP meant and whether they were gay or straight. But I have read too many stories of gays or cross-dressers and TG's being hurt when somebody gets violent. Violence can strike unpredictably, and I don't want to see anyone hurt, even if it is unlikely in downtown Asheville.

Old 01-31-2013, 11:17 AM

119 posts, read 173,490 times
My boyfriends uncle is gay and he mostly goes to Hickory or charolette for clubbing, he said there is no where really good around here and/or he does not care much for the people at the clubs here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina