Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2013, 08:08 AM

5,126 posts, read 7,405,069 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone.

Wondering if anyone has an opinion or experience with America's Home Place?

I was under the impression they built sub-par homes with boring designs. Well, I have a friend who is thinking of selling her large house who's is looking around for a smaller replacement. She and her husband went to a very upscale development here and looked at a couple of houses and were impressed.

I've seen both houses online and was shocked to find that they were built by America's Home Place. One is a craftsman style and the other is a southern cape cod with a wrap-around porch. The latter has a ton of detail in it and could easily be featured in a magazine.

There are other builders here and I know of a few very good ones, but America's Home Place seems to get you into a new house quickly. They only operate in the southeast and I see mixed reviews online. There are complaints filed against some of the locations and there are also lots of glowing reviews.

Not sure if they are a franchise, but many of the locations have A+ BBB ratings.

The couple built their current house, but don't want to use the same builder. They really didn't want to build again at all, but might consider it if the process was faster. They are only at the beginning of gathering information. Anyone know anything?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 PM

96 posts, read 187,968 times
There are loads of scary reviews out there on America's Home Place and their closest competitor Shumacher. Clayton Homes is another alternative in this category that might offer even higher quality of construction. I dont think its fair to make a broad based judgement about a national home builder based on problems in other places. Your best bet is to find as many locals as possible who have built recently with them.

I would try to find out about all current projects and give your best efforts to tracking as many of them down as possible for their candid opinions. Calling on the phone is not nearly as effective as a site visit because people will open up to you more face to face even if you claim you are just there to check out the exterior details.

I personally feel that these companies take some questionable liberties in their marketing efforts. Their business models are much closer to national production builders than a true custom home builder. Perhaps the greatest offense it the wildly unrealistic "price per sq ft" numbers they sometimes advertise but I think they have had to stop that practice for obvious reasons.

If speed and budget are your only concerns then these builders can be a fine choice. Any builder can use attractive finishes to achieve the look you are after but the hidden question is what is the quality of construction underneath the finish materials?

With such low prices, there is almost always a sacrifice in best practices that get covered up like drainage and flashing details, poor insulation installation, and leaky ductwork. Not trying to make accusations but these builders are usually building the poorest performing homes that the law will allow. There is much more to a home these days than how it would look in a magazine.

If you do end up going with a national "semi-custom" builder, I would push for third party certification with the current best choices being Energy Star or Greenbuilt. This can have tremendous value to getting a healthy and energy efficient home. I would also attempt to "interview" the companies superintendents or project managers as they will be the ones that ultimately build your home.

Old 05-10-2013, 05:04 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
It is always prudent to get a complete home inspection for every system in the house, whether it is warranted by the contractor or not. The builder's warranty required by law can be useless if you have to chase him through the court system; time, money, and most likely not the result you would be satisfied with.

Why not purchase a quality built resale home; there are SO many great homes in the inventory currently and sellers are eager. They are usually in the better locations as well.

Old 05-11-2013, 06:08 AM

To be clear, it isn't me who would by buying this home.

I'm talking about a couple in Blairsville, GA. I did a search online and found some complaints about AHP in other cities, however, I didn't find as many as I expected relative to the large number of homes they build. It seems to be a franchise, and I found no complaints for the local outfit.

There are some glowing video reviews online from local people who built with them.

As far as resale homes, the couple in question has looked at what is available. They haven't made any decision yet; they're just looking into their options. The one existing house the wife liked the most was built by AHP.

I personally know of other builders here with great reputations, and there are other builders building in the subdivision they're looking at. I was surprised to even see that AHP was one of the approved builders in the subdivision because it's upscale and I didn't think AHP did that sort of work.

The husband had multiple surgeries and strokes last year and is more limited in mobility and speech than before. I think the wife would like a more personalized house, a more handicap accessible single-story house, but doesn't want as much of a long drawn out process of building this time.

There are no single level homes on the market that appeal right now. Also the subdivision in question has amenities that are perfect for their interests.

I am seeing them on Sunday and will talk about what I found and the other builders I know. I'll probably get her to talk to one builder in particular with a fab reputation. I'm thinking their previous builder tried their patience so much and took so long that the wife never wants to go through that again.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
To be clear, it isn't me who would by buying this home.

I'm talking about a couple in Blairsville, GA. I did a search online and found some complaints about AHP in other cities, however, I didn't find as many as I expected relative to the large number of homes they build. It seems to be a franchise, and I found no complaints for the local outfit.

There are some glowing video reviews online from local people who built with them.

As far as resale homes, the couple in question has looked at what is available. They haven't made any decision yet; they're just looking into their options. The one existing house the wife liked the most was built by AHP.

I personally know of other builders here with great reputations, and there are other builders building in the subdivision they're looking at. I was surprised to even see that AHP was one of the approved builders in the subdivision because it's upscale and I didn't think AHP did that sort of work.

The husband had multiple surgeries and strokes last year and is more limited in mobility and speech than before. I think the wife would like a more personalized house, a more handicap accessible single-story house, but doesn't want as much of a long drawn out process of building this time.

There are no single level homes on the market that appeal right now. Also the subdivision in question has amenities that are perfect for their interests.

I am seeing them on Sunday and will talk about what I found and the other builders I know. I'll probably get her to talk to one builder in particular with a fab reputation. I'm thinking their previous builder tried their patience so much and took so long that the wife never wants to go through that again.

Doesn't matter who it is, my advice still stands. Especially in this case if someone is compromised physically. They should definitely look into a straight ranch possibly in a good locatlion, within reasonable distance to Mission Hospital in Asheville. And get a professional home inspection.

That's my two cents and I'm stickin' to it.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:25 AM

497 posts, read 968,383 times
There are many new and newly constructed two story homes with a large master bedroom/bath on the main floor within an open floor plan concept that is far more accessible for someone with limitations than a older ranch style home. We looked at both. Older ranch style homes have small bedrooms, baths and narrow doors and are generally so outdated that a huge reno is required, likely gut the whole place. Factor that cost in and you're at the cost range of new. Plus newer homes are far more energy efficient and healthier. Most ranch homes were built when owners were heavy smokers in that generation. Guests stay upstairs, rather than on the other side of your bedroom wall in a ranch.

Old 05-11-2013, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henrynvirginia View Post
There are many new and newly constructed two story homes with a large master bedroom/bath on the main floor within an open floor plan concept that is far more accessible for someone with limitations than a older ranch style home. We looked at both. Older ranch style homes have small bedrooms, baths and narrow doors and are generally so outdated that a huge reno is required, likely gut the whole place. Factor that cost in and you're at the cost range of new. Plus newer homes are far more energy efficient and healthier. Most ranch homes were built when owners were heavy smokers in that generation. Guests stay upstairs, rather than on the other side of your bedroom wall in a ranch.

Depends on the price range; I've sold many gorgeous ranches in the area. They are not all old rundown matchbox homes that require updating. There are some lovely subdivisions done by quality builders, many built since 2004 actually. I could rattle off a list of places, but don't have the inclination. A knowledgeable Realtor is the key.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Doesn't matter who it is, my advice still stands. Especially in this case if someone is compromised physically. They should definitely look into a straight ranch possibly in a good locatlion, within reasonable distance to Mission Hospital in Asheville. And get a professional home inspection.

That's my two cents and I'm stickin' to it.
I think you didn't read everything. I said they live in Blairsville, GA. There are no other suitable houses on the market there right now.

It goes without saying they would get a home inspection. Where did anyone get the idea they wouldn't? They've bought and sold many homes.

The house in question is one story. I saw it today and it's completely accessible.

Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post
I think you didn't read everything. I said they live in Blairsville, GA. There are no other suitable houses on the market there right now.

It goes without saying they would get a home inspection. Where did anyone get the idea they wouldn't? They've bought and sold many homes.

The house in question is one story. I saw it today and it's completely accessible.

Sorry SS, but I interpreted it as others did that they were relocating from GA to western NC. If they live in Blairsville GA, then why are you asking for advice on the western NC thread? But you did say they don't want to build again; therefore, you got answers regarding home inspections.

There is a good forum on the "House" threads, and some excellent builders answer questions such as this on that forum. One in particular is in north GA, "K-ledge Builder", he may have some input for your friends.

Nice of you to help your friends, hope it works out for them.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:49 PM

I wasn't really asking for advice.

I only wanted to know if anyone had direct experience with America's Home Place. There is an AHP franchise in Asheville, so someone might have dealt with them.

After lots of sleuthing the couple in question talked to a lady that used to work for the subdivision (she even named the streets) and got the inside scoop on everything.

It turns out the AHP house was one of two spec homes built last year by a local bank. The bank chose the plans and did lots of upgrades. The houses are both shockingly prettier in person than you can tell in the online listings.

The original owners of the subdivision lost it with the economic crisis, then the bank owned it for a while and built the two specs. The golf course was purchased and run separately by the actual golf pro that designed it and is doing well. Recently, a large company that deals in subdivisions has come along and taken over the whole thing. They are currently building a clubhouse and have made some other improvements that are brilliant, like a new road and entrance that cuts the drive into town by five minutes.

I had been there several years ago, and it's a tract of land you could never forget. It is so beautiful that in certain places, it looks like a mirage. 350 acres of rolling hills surrounded by mountains in every direction like a bowl - you get a 360 degree view from most of the lots - really indescribable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina