Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-07-2013, 07:39 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,532,938 times

Advertisements

The 17-story BB&T building in downtown Asheville has been sold for $7.5 million. MHG-Tower LLC, a Georgia-based partnership between Tower Associates and the McKibbon Hotel Group, plans to renovate the building and include an upscale hotel in part of the structure.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 11-25-2013 at 06:23 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2013, 09:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunnyKayak View Post
The 17-story BB&T building in downtown Asheville has been sold for $7.5 million. MHG-Tower LLC, a Georgia-based partnership between Tower Associates and the McKibbon Hotel Group, plans to renovate the building and include an upscale hotel in part of the structure.
Asheville's BB&T building to house upscale hotel

Wow, hope they are planning to have parking, or using the parking garage most down the street.

The views from that building are amazing.

Old 11-07-2013, 02:44 PM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times
Hope they keep the backdrop of the mountains in mind with their renderings.

Old 11-12-2013, 04:53 PM

279 posts, read 534,150 times
Wasn't there a restaurant on the top floor 10 years ago?

Old 11-14-2013, 07:35 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,858 times
Hope the outside will be renovated always think it looks out of place. Dominates the area too much and not in a good way. But whatever is done can't be more unattractive than the Indigo which I heard referred to as looking like a a hospital with a motel on top.
Are there drawings of renovation plans?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:25 AM

1,379 posts, read 3,921,756 times
Great, more seasonal low-wage jobs with no benefits to cater to tourists.

Old 11-14-2013, 01:58 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
Hope the outside will be renovated always think it looks out of place. Dominates the area too much and not in a good way. But whatever is done can't be more unattractive than the Indigo which I heard referred to as looking like a a hospital with a motel on top.

Awww.... you just haven't noticed the bumper stickers that say "Keep Asheville Weird".

Old 11-16-2013, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Awww.... you just haven't noticed the bumper stickers that say "Keep Asheville Weird".
Weird is fine ugly is not..........

Old 11-16-2013, 08:51 AM

24 posts, read 77,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsmw47 View Post
The style of the BB&T tower doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it's been neglected. It's the dominate building in downtown, and it's tired, faded, and therefore an embarrassment to our city. But had it been well maintained, I wouldn't mind it. Like it or not, it's a building that represents mid-century modernism in that classic Mies van der Rohe style that was popularized in cities throughout North America.

Regarding the Indigo, I find it interesting, and I kind of like it. At least it has some thought put into its design, unlike The Aloft, which, unfortunately, is smack dab in the middle of downtown. It should be out by the airport. The tacky blue and yellow fluorescent lights, alone, could help guide incoming flights!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crewer View Post
The style of the BB&T tower doesn't bother me as much as the fact that it's been neglected. It's the dominate building in downtown, and it's tired, faded, and therefore an embarrassment to our city. But had it been well maintained, I wouldn't mind it. Like it or not, it's a building that represents mid-century modernism in that classic Mies van der Rohe style that was popularized in cities throughout North America.

Regarding the Indigo, I find it interesting, and I kind of like it. At least it has some thought put into its design, unlike The Aloft, which, unfortunately, is smack dab in the middle of downtown. It should be out by the airport. The tacky blue and yellow fluorescent lights, alone, could help guide incoming flights!
I'm curious what you find interesting about the Indigo? I would agree on the Aloft doesn't belong at all. Guess I prefer the old buildings and find them more attractive. So far not impressed by hotel builders in Asheville. We'll see what happens to BBT maybe a face lift will help and you are right its current state is an embarrassment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina