Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-06-2014, 03:12 AM

528 posts, read 867,015 times

Advertisements

Hi all. I have a general question to some people maybe who have been to both or lived in both, but I currently am in Northern California, don't really have interest to moving to Asheville area but maybe nearby East TN in the future depending on what happens in my life. I may have to return to FL to get back in that region of the USA first then it may be a project I might consider when I am a little more well off maybe. A family situation brought me here, wouldn't have handpicked this place otherwise and it was a 50/50 chance when I first came that I'd like or dislike it.. its leaning towards the latter more as months pass by.

Personally you know how some Yankees come down to the South and think its all rednecks or many may believe everything they see in the media about backwards folks from the South, but what they fail to report on is all the crime in San Francisco, the rednecks there who are quite trashy as well who are just as bad as what they say Alabama people are like easily, they just aren't as fanatical or emotional is the difference and definitely not about college sports. In fact the arrogance is quite staggering with rednecks in CA.

CA may rank higher in health and wellness and may seem progressive but theres folks out here that could make you cringe and cringe hard. Believe you me. The pretentiousness gets to me and its quite thick in NorCal also.

Now with me saying all this about NorCal, does any of this compare to Asheville area? I live in a town in the foothills, theres a few breweries, a local culture of some sort, lacking a music scene though unless you think classic rock cover songs at bars are fun, has not much to offer someone like me. Asheville has more to do, I know that for a fact but the economy there is tough I know.

I had a friend in Hickory who I talked to online a long time ago, had awesome music taste and talked about all kinds of beers and foods. He was an overall normal alternative indie kind of guy too. He even introduced me to the Avett Bros when they weren't as big lol. So the music scene for sure is superior to where I am. I am above Sacramento about 40 minutes in the Gold Rush areas. People in Sacramento think its all skinheads and nazis here and while it isn't, you know you aren't in a good spot if you're young and single either and its either old folks on the poor end, yuppies or bored high school kids. but the backwardsness is pretty bad in a lot of ways too and transplants are in for a living hell unless Northern Californian life agrees with them and they assimilate and be Californians. So I am a Yankee with a problem with the locals somewhere else entirely and could actually have less problems in parts of the South. I know hard to believe right?

I also have a question about the elevations and mountains which I'd imagine are very similar to NorCal. They look identical almost or the topography does. I tend to like it flatter.

Personally from people I've talked to and this comes from a MA persons opinion too.. but from people I've talked to throughout my life and even living in FL some time back and then seeing NorCal. The south is more diverse and worldly than Northern California is. Whether I am mentioning St Pete FL, Atlanta, Asheville, Nashville, maybe even Knoxville.. its backwardsness seems completely overstated.
So I'd like opinions from people who been in both or lived in both, tell me your stories. I'd like to hear. TY. I have one concern about locating to NC though or WNC, it will be fuller than Florida soon. I am looking for more peace and quiet but with entertainment. I like city life, just nothing too big or too crowded with somewhat a good economy. Knox may be more what I am looking for. Give imput TY GTG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2014, 07:01 AM

503 posts, read 926,851 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
I have one concern about locating to NC though or WNC, it will be fuller than Florida soon.
Not going to happen IMO. For one thing you can't get the same type of sprawl in the mtns due to the restraining characteristics of the topography. Second, the influx boom for WNC as a whole is over and will not return.

Old 06-06-2014, 07:13 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,541,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldCountry80 View Post
Hi all. I have a general question to some people maybe who have been to both or lived in both, but I currently am in Northern California, don't really have interest to moving to Asheville area but maybe nearby East TN in the future depending on what happens in my life. I may have to return to FL to get back in that region of the USA first then it may be a project I might consider when I am a little more well off maybe. A family situation brought me here, wouldn't have handpicked this place otherwise and it was a 50/50 chance when I first came that I'd like or dislike it.. its leaning towards the latter more as months pass by.

Personally you know how some Yankees come down to the South and think its all rednecks or many may believe everything they see in the media about backwards folks from the South, but what they fail to report on is all the crime in San Francisco, the rednecks there who are quite trashy as well who are just as bad as what they say Alabama people are like easily, they just aren't as fanatical or emotional is the difference and definitely not about college sports. In fact the arrogance is quite staggering with rednecks in CA.

CA may rank higher in health and wellness and may seem progressive but theres folks out here that could make you cringe and cringe hard. Believe you me. The pretentiousness gets to me and its quite thick in NorCal also.

Now with me saying all this about NorCal, does any of this compare to Asheville area? I live in a town in the foothills, theres a few breweries, a local culture of some sort, lacking a music scene though unless you think classic rock cover songs at bars are fun, has not much to offer someone like me. Asheville has more to do, I know that for a fact but the economy there is tough I know.

I had a friend in Hickory who I talked to online a long time ago, had awesome music taste and talked about all kinds of beers and foods. He was an overall normal alternative indie kind of guy too. He even introduced me to the Avett Bros when they weren't as big lol. So the music scene for sure is superior to where I am. I am above Sacramento about 40 minutes in the Gold Rush areas. People in Sacramento think its all skinheads and nazis here and while it isn't, you know you aren't in a good spot if you're young and single either and its either old folks on the poor end, yuppies or bored high school kids. but the backwardsness is pretty bad in a lot of ways too and transplants are in for a living hell unless Northern Californian life agrees with them and they assimilate and be Californians. So I am a Yankee with a problem with the locals somewhere else entirely and could actually have less problems in parts of the South. I know hard to believe right?

I also have a question about the elevations and mountains which I'd imagine are very similar to NorCal. They look identical almost or the topography does. I tend to like it flatter.

Personally from people I've talked to and this comes from a MA persons opinion too.. but from people I've talked to throughout my life and even living in FL some time back and then seeing NorCal. The south is more diverse and worldly than Northern California is. Whether I am mentioning St Pete FL, Atlanta, Asheville, Nashville, maybe even Knoxville.. its backwardsness seems completely overstated.
So I'd like opinions from people who been in both or lived in both, tell me your stories. I'd like to hear. TY. I have one concern about locating to NC though or WNC, it will be fuller than Florida soon. I am looking for more peace and quiet but with entertainment. I like city life, just nothing too big or too crowded with somewhat a good economy. Knox may be more what I am looking for. Give imput TY GTG.

Look into Maryville TN, just outside of Knoxville. Nice town, may have what you're looking for. More flat land, but you can see the Great Smoky Mtns. from Maryville.

Old 06-06-2014, 10:24 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,164 times
The advantages to living in the NC mountains is certainly weather. It is the best year round weather East of the Mississippi River according to the National Weather Service.

Of course NC does not have the climate that Northern CA has near the water but it does not get as hot as it does East of the ocean.

Living at 3000 feet, you will never see your thermometer go over 89F, there will be no mosquitoes, and the humidity is lower because the air is thinner and cannot hold as much water. The mountains of NC also are not in danger of a drought as is most of CA. Most of Transylvania county is temperate rain forest.

The area has 4 seasons which I describe as Warm Spring, Great Summer, Beautiful Fall and Wonderful Late Fall. Hardly a day goes by in the Winter where the temp does not go above 45 and a few days it is above 50F. Late Fall is short and over by the end of February or before and sometimes there is not much difference between Beautiful Fall and Wonderful Late Fall.

Asheville, NC is in the Western edge of the Eastern time zone so we have similar daylight hours in the evening. Light until well after 9PM.

Not Northern CA, but you might like it.

Old 06-06-2014, 11:35 AM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Now, to answer the OP's post, which I find interesting since I recently started researching the Ukiah, California area (what can I say, I happened to run across an old Doobie Brothers song about it and got curious), rural is rural and you're going to find some similarities and you're going to find some differences. "Redneck" culture can exist in any rural area, but it will have some variations according to region. One thing I noticed, if people think they have a difficult time trying to find an affordable place to buy or rent in Western North Carolina, they ain't seen nuthin' til they've looked at NorCal. It's beautiful, but each region has its own kind of beauty.

Old 06-06-2014, 04:44 PM

5,687 posts, read 7,182,040 times
Just wanted to say to the OP, don't worry about being a Yankee in the South, because some of us Yankees are closet Southerners.

Old 06-06-2014, 08:57 PM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,006 times
Having lived in both places the answer is no they are not much alike.

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 06-07-2014 at 07:01 AM.. Reason: orphan- post no longer available

Old 06-07-2014, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveatgso View Post
Not going to happen IMO. For one thing you can't get the same type of sprawl in the mtns due to the restraining characteristics of the topography. Second, the influx boom for WNC as a whole is over and will not return.
Well you know more than me as you live there. I did hear about something in the Asheville area though where halfbacks from Florida wanted Mcmansions built in the Asheville area. How has that affected things?
And to move to WNC, its probably smart to have a lot of savings on you isn't it? especially if you come without a job. Asheville seems like a real tricky place in the way that its small but many people want to live there. Like its a prime area but that could create problems for citizens. And I heard it wasn't cheap to live there either.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Look into Maryville TN, just outside of Knoxville. Nice town, may have what you're looking for. More flat land, but you can see the Great Smoky Mtns. from Maryville.
Yea why is it that East TN is calling me? It is more than Western NC despite the fact I had a friend in Hickory who lived out there. I don't know anyone in East TN really but its not important because I also didn't talk to that other guy in a long time. But yes, East TN seems like it has it all, they say bad air quality in Knoxville area, nearly horrible but it also rains more than CA so it would be washed away I'm thinking after awhile and they don't seem to have smog problems. Horrible air quality is a sacrifice I'd be willing to make if everything else is actually good or most things anyhow. I am planning the future because I am not at all confident of my chances in Northern CA with meeting people and being happy.

Old 06-07-2014, 12:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarc View Post
Now, to answer the OP's post, which I find interesting since I recently started researching the Ukiah, California area (what can I say, I happened to run across an old Doobie Brothers song about it and got curious), rural is rural and you're going to find some similarities and you're going to find some differences. "Redneck" culture can exist in any rural area, but it will have some variations according to region. One thing I noticed, if people think they have a difficult time trying to find an affordable place to buy or rent in Western North Carolina, they ain't seen nuthin' til they've looked at NorCal. It's beautiful, but each region has its own kind of beauty.
Which Doobie Brothers song? I never really liked them too much.

You looked at Ukiah huh? What sparked your interest? Its like 3-4 hrs from me here. I never been but heard a little bit about it.. nothing to make me wanna go though lol.

Right and my point is that everyone points to the South as having the most rednecks and I was trying to say how the ones out here can also give those ones a run for their money too. Most people think Northern California is liberal, with wine country and Subarus, and in fact it seems like its a smaller % of it than anything. It can only be a blessing if I choose to locate to the South and find that its not as bad as the media makes it.. what would I really have to lose? I know of some people who located to TN in parts or even NC and say they can't see living anywhere else. I am thinking I want to be one of those people. When it comes time to buy a house, I am looking at that region as its a low disaster zone, LOTS of water, overall nicer folks. That's a plus and doesn't seem like people are coming in droves terribly either, definitely not in East TN anyhow or even parts of NC. Atlanta and Charlotte areas are the places that seem bad to locate to now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina