Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2014, 04:11 PM

2 posts, read 2,533 times

Advertisements

My family (2 adults and twins under 1) is moving to Asheville from RI later this year and I am trying to find some good housing developments to look at. Price range would be 300k to 500k. I would like a decent sized yard that has room to play in. A neighborhood with a pool would be ideal. I would like sidewalks too, but those seem to be rare. I would be interested in anything that is within 20 minutes of the city center. A couple examples of what I have found that look good (at least through Zillow, Google Street View, and satellite imagery) are Pinebrook Farms and Biltmore Lake. Although neither of those really have good sized yards. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank You.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2014, 06:27 PM

395 posts, read 462,812 times
From your description, I would look at Black Mountain. The town center has a nice lake with a public pool next to it and there would be sidewalks, too. I am sure for the price range you are looking in, you would find a house with a big enough yard and close enough to the center. From downtown Black Mountain, you'd be about 20 minutes from downtown Asheville.

Old 07-18-2014, 07:01 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateBid View Post
My family (2 adults and twins under 1) is moving to Asheville from RI later this year and I am trying to find some good housing developments to look at. Price range would be 300k to 500k. I would like a decent sized yard that has room to play in. A neighborhood with a pool would be ideal. I would like sidewalks too, but those seem to be rare. I would be interested in anything that is within 20 minutes of the city center. A couple examples of what I have found that look good (at least through Zillow, Google Street View, and satellite imagery) are Pinebrook Farms and Biltmore Lake. Although neither of those really have good sized yards. Any help and suggestions would be much appreciated! Thank You.

Where are you going to be working ? There are several lovely subdivision in your price range, but you may not have to spend that much ($300K to $500K is quite a spread in range here.) What size home? We don't have many homes here with swimming pools, the weather is mild and moderate and the summers are not that hot that you need a pool 24/7. We have beautiful four seasons, but the fourth one is very mild.

Unlike RI, we are organized by "county", and then cities and towns within those counties.

For starters, I would suggest Hendersonville, Mills River, Fletcher, some areas of Arden, Weaverville, Black Mountain.

Old 07-18-2014, 08:21 PM

2 posts, read 2,533 times
Thank you two for your responses. Black Mountain seems to be just on the edge of my circle and I have flagged a couple of houses in the area, but I couldn't find any subdivisions there that I am looking for. I have seen a few in Weaverville, Arden and Mills River. I would like a house in the 2400-3000 sq ft range, but have seen some slightly smaller ones that I would consider. I grew up in a subdivision in Ohio that didn't have through streets, just an entrance, so we played street hockey all of the time and rode our bikes all over and into the woods and we had a common ground that we played kick ball and baseball in and a creek and pond to play in. I would like something similar for my kids. I am interested in the names of actual subdivions/developments/neighborhoods, whatever they are called down there, to look into as opposed to just general areas or towns. And I'm not looking for a house with a pool, but a subdivision that has a pool, like Pinebrook Farms. Again, thank you for your help.

Old 07-18-2014, 10:15 PM

242 posts, read 1,018,368 times
Biltmore Park seems like it would fit.

Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 AM

2,595 posts, read 2,288,096 times
I am building a cottage in a Biltmore lake. I sent you a private message. I love that subdivision. It is beautiful and has everything in amenities. It doesn't have a pool but you can swim in the lake.

Old 07-26-2014, 05:43 AM

47 posts, read 47,310 times
Biltmore Lake as Donna suggested, and Biltmore Park, as Will suggested, are the 2 that came to my mind of kid-friendly subs with sidewalks.

Keep in mind that the reason you don't see alot of pools here, is mainly for the terrain, but also because it never gets hot enough to warm them up to a comfortable temp.

Good luck on your search...we rented a house while we looked around at the entire area, and after 9 months, found what we liked. Moving from Charlotte, we had to make adjustments to our wishes and pricing, as the communities are very different. In the end, we're very glad we moved!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina