Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-22-2015, 08:53 AM

440 posts, read 1,092,759 times

Advertisements

...Hey all! Been awhile since I was last on. Hard to believe hubby and I have now been here in Sylva, NC for a year. We beyond love it and settled right in....feel like we've always belonged here. I miss my 2 kids and Granbaby in FL soooooooo much but wouldn't trade being here for anything. It has been an amazing 1st yr. LOTS to learn.... personal and business wise. God is good and doors are opening! We both found work... I'm a REALTOR & Hubby is again doing what he loves.... Golf Course Shaper (building and renovating GC).
The Artist in me was mesmerized by the snow ...winter and spring. I have taken a Zillion pics for future paintings. Spring was a HUGE surprise I had know idea how long a blooming season it is here. When we bought the property everything was dead (dormant) in that winter. We had no idea what we had. I told my hubby not to mess with any of the flower beds or anything. I can't even explain my delight in spring with everything that was blooming and well into summer! And we have these 4 HUGE blueberry bushes that just kept producing. YUM! We had a great time exploring and learning our area and the surrounding towns. I am in LOVE with Sylva! The small town feel and community. Our location is spot on. So close to the BRP.... we can easily get to Franklin, Bryson City, Cherokee, Waynesville and Maggie Valley. And... I was surprised how close we were to Gatlinburg/Pigeon Forge, TN! That was a fun drive too! Asheville. ....OK...I am NOT a city girl at all. However I love visiting Asheville. Funny we were as close to Orlando in Fl. as we are to Asheville and I hated going to Orlando. Asveville's vibe is great. Reminds me alot of Seattle. (LOVE that too!) It is the Art and restaurants/breweries, stuff to do that draw me there. I am a "RAD Addict" too! I am so in LOVE with the "River Arts District"! I would not want to live in Asheville. Fun to visit. W. NC is just amazing...there really is truly something for everyone! I am trying to lure my 2 kids here. ;0)
At 1st we were not used to the crazy drives and roads here (love my AWD Subaru Impreza).... these actually were an anxiety attack waiting to happen in the beginning. As a born flat lander I had never driven up drives gravel, narrow and steep drop off. Or highways that were curvy. YIKES! Now I can drive them with ease. Phew!
We have really enjoyed riding our motorcycles here too. We were blessed to have an easy access paved road and level short gravel drive to our house. That was such a challenge...the access to properties when we were looking to buy. We are at 3050 elevation.... love that too!
We...well I ....plugged in as quick as I could here in the beginning. Networking & even finding a Bible Study group. We did have a BIG challenge finding our home church....but we finally did!
Anyway.............. I will now go browse the forum and catch up on what I've been missing here. Happy Sunday All! .......Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2015, 03:11 PM

23,018 posts, read 34,387,993 times
You are blessed to be in Western NC! When my husband retires next year our plan is to move there too, probably Waynesville.

Old 02-23-2015, 05:34 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,101 times
Wow, it has been a year PL?? I must be getting old because it seems like last month that we were congratulating you. Glad you have settled in and had a good first year. I know it was a long journey, but it sounds like it was worth it.

And you reminded me, spring is around the corner (I hope). Time to clean off the memory cards in the cameras and get ready for flower season!

Old 02-24-2015, 06:28 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
PL,
Good to read that you and your Hub are settling in, getting used to the wonderful area and have quickly come to like western NC, as we all do!

Good job on the improved driving skills and m'cycle riding skills. It is not the 'flats' that so many new people are used to...
Western NC: nothing beats it east of the Rockies, imo.
GL, mD

Old 02-25-2015, 05:32 AM

251 posts, read 244,791 times
You sound so happy! That's wonderful ☺️

Old 02-26-2015, 08:03 AM

3,223 posts, read 9,631,472 times
Billy Graham is still alive.

Old 02-27-2015, 06:32 AM

Yes.... it was quite a Journey! And we are still on a Journey.
I tell ya... I am soooo loving the snow right now. I don't want it to melt away yet. We went down in town yesterday (trip to Wally World).....it was a bit slushy down there. We came down the mountain and stopped at the stop sign and all the snow on the roof slid down and blocked almost the whole wind shield. Kinda funny! I hopped out and pushed it all off. Hubby made two snow men/women this season. We are really enjoying it. I want a sled. I think it might be too late in the season to find one now. :0( I do wish the snow was a bit more frequent and lasted a tad longer. I am mesmerized by it and take TONS of pics. I have taken soooo many pics for paintings since we have been here. Oh...I do have a couple of my paintings in the Art Gallery "Mahogany House" in Frog Level in Waynesville. I don't think I can paint all the pics I have taken.
We LOVE exploring here....even if its just hiking our own property. There is always something to see and do. And yes...the motorcycle riding is phenomenal! I just can't show houses riding my motorcycle here! ;0) LOL Happy Weekend all!

Old 02-27-2015, 06:40 AM

.....if anyone wants to see all of my pics of our move/journey to this 1st yr. in W. NC..... search me on FB.... Donna Baldauff LaConte ....if you friend request me...let me know you found me here on CD :0)

Old 02-27-2015, 06:42 AM

Motordavid... don't you live here in Waynesville? Thought I remember you saying that one time.

Old 02-27-2015, 07:57 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,613,723 times
PL, Yes...up on Eagles Nest Mtn, since Sept 2001, though we have escaped to our SW FL house for winter season, the past several years.

A webcam view of our area, same altitude of ~5,000 ft. 18 degrees F.
Pretty, but not missing it today.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina