Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2017, 08:30 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OutdoorLover View Post
If budget is a concern, you do have to worry about not only the building cost and the raw land cost, but also the site development costs. Long driveways, lots of tree clearing, any potential issues with rock ledges interfering with basement excavation, poor drainage needing special engineering for septic systems - these kinds of variables can add $5,000 or they can add $50,000... Municipal water and sewer have the downside of ongoing monthly bills for operating the household, but they also remove the risk of big surprise costs at construction time. It may not be your first choice for reasons I can understand, but the least cost uncertainty will be had by going with an existing home or a new house in a development, otherwise be very thorough with your due diligence.

I have been hoping to build a nice smaller home for retirement, and another hurdle that has stopped me has been the restrictive covenants that seem to be very common - have to build with the home owner's association's desired style and/or their desired materials and it can't be a modest retirement home (for me, would be a 2-bedroom of 1100-1400 sq ft), it's got to be a big family sized home of 2,000 sq ft or more. The exception seems to be if you're out on some rural road - then you can indeed build what you want on your land, but you will also need to live like a hermit, and I like to be able to see and talk with my neighbors from time to time.
It definitely becomes frustrating. I thought there would be more options in building a smaller home. Hopefully, this will become recognized. Is it because builders can make more money on these bigger houses? I'd like to find a subdivision like you are speaking about. I don't need a big house. It would be nice if it has a community pool as well. For now, I am in West Asheville, out of city limits, but not part of a subdivision. I do have neighbors but most are older folks. I am still in my 40's and would like to live near people in their 30's-40's. As you mentioned, the land prep can be a killer as well. Building is definitely an obstacle. I never thought it would be this hard to find the right land and at the right price. I am on the hunt every day. I hope you find something that works and if you do, please let me know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2017, 09:16 PM

12,416 posts, read 9,510,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beckycat View Post
It definitely becomes frustrating. I thought there would be more options in building a smaller home. Hopefully, this will become recognized. Is it because builders can make more money on these bigger houses? I'd like to find a subdivision like you are speaking about. I don't need a big house. It would be nice if it has a community pool as well. For now, I am in West Asheville, out of city limits, but not part of a subdivision. I do have neighbors but most are older folks. I am still in my 40's and would like to live near people in their 30's-40's. As you mentioned, the land prep can be a killer as well. Building is definitely an obstacle. I never thought it would be this hard to find the right land and at the right price. I am on the hunt every day. I hope you find something that works and if you do, please let me know.
A realtor I spoke with said that if you didn't have restrictive covenants, you'd have trailers and junk cars and old appliances in every yard. While I can understand that wouldn't be good, these restrictions normally seem to go waaaay beyond that. The size restrictions that seem to be almost everywhere require you to live in a place that wouldn't be smart to buy as an older person - cost too much to buy, too much to heat and cool, and would be too much work to clean and maintain, and for space that you will never need anyway. Then some places say you need to build a craftsman style home, or you can only have wood siding and wood decking... I mean, every house I have bought has had wood siding, and I have owned one built in 1862 and live in one built in 1850 now, so I know what wood siding is. But when I am in my 60s soon, I don't want to paint the house myself and when I am on a fixed income soon thereafter, don't want to pay 8-10 grand every six years when the house needs repainting, or to get a new deck built every 15 years when the wood is deteriorating. I don't want to site a trailer on the lot or keep old appliances in the yard, but just let me build a practical house, please!

It is frustrating - it's a great area, with a lot going on, good healthcare and fantastic outdoor scenery and recreation opportunities, mild climate without being too hot... But all these private restrictions placed on home construction just don't seem to leave me with any good options. I will keep trying, and yes, will let you know what I found if I succeed ;-)

Old 12-09-2017, 09:39 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,061,351 times
Quote:
A realtor I spoke with said that if you didn't have restrictive covenants, you'd have trailers and junk cars and old appliances in every yard. While I can understand that wouldn't be good, these restrictions normally seem to go waaaay beyond that. The size restrictions that seem to be almost everywhere require you to live in a place that wouldn't be smart to buy as an older person - cost too much to buy, too much to heat and cool, and would be too much work to clean and maintain, and for space that you will never need anyway. Then some places say you need to build a craftsman style home, or you can only have wood siding and wood decking... I mean, every house I have bought has had wood siding, and I have owned one built in 1862 and live in one built in 1850 now, so I know what wood siding is. But when I am in my 60s soon, I don't want to paint the house myself and when I am on a fixed income soon thereafter, don't want to pay 8-10 grand every six years when the house needs repainting, or to get a new deck built every 15 years when the wood is deteriorating. I don't want to site a trailer on the lot or keep old appliances in the yard, but just let me build a practical house, please!

It is frustrating - it's a great area, with a lot going on, good healthcare and fantastic outdoor scenery and recreation opportunities, mild climate without being too hot... But all these private restrictions placed on home construction just don't seem to leave me with any good options. I will keep trying, and yes, will let you know what I found if I succeed ;-)
Unfortunately, the realtor is correct. Especially, if you are out of city limits, there are trailers mixed with houses and yes people can have whatever they want in their yard. Once you get into city limits, your taxes double. They do regulate things much more and you don't see the trailers like that in city limits. If you want to live here, you do have to do some compromising. I wouldn't mind if it wasn't a subdivision either with crazy HOA's, just a nice street where people keep their yards neat.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:02 PM

177 posts, read 123,490 times
Quote:
If budget is a concern, you do have to worry about not only the building cost and the raw land cost, but also the site development costs. Long driveways, lots of tree clearing, any potential issues with rock ledges interfering with basement excavation, poor drainage needing special engineering for septic systems - these kinds of variables can add $5,000 or they can add $50,000... Municipal water and sewer have the downside of ongoing monthly bills for operating the household, but they also remove the risk of big surprise costs at construction time. It may not be your first choice for reasons I can understand, but the least cost uncertainty will be had by going with an existing home or a new house in a development, otherwise be very thorough with your due diligence.

I have been hoping to build a nice smaller home for retirement, and another hurdle that has stopped me has been the restrictive covenants that seem to be very common - have to build with the home owner's association's desired style and/or their desired materials and it can't be a modest retirement home (for me, would be a 2-bedroom of 1100-1400 sq ft), it's got to be a big family sized home of 2,000 sq ft or more. The exception seems to be if you're out on some rural road - then you can indeed build what you want on your land, but you will also need to live like a hermit, and I like to be able to see and talk with my neighbors from time to time.
I agree. I would love a "fresh" new house, but do not want a bigger house and am skittish about costs on unrestricted property.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:09 PM

Quote:

I agree. I am in early 60s and feel the same about options.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:12 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,539,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VonnieD View Post
I agree. I am in early 60s and feel the same about options.

Are you looking for an over 55 community with activities, etc. ? Price ?

Old 12-10-2017, 12:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Are you looking for an over 55 community with activities, etc. ? Price ?
Lowest cost possible. Prefer no HOA. Looking at modulars but not cookie-cutter looking ones.

Old 12-10-2017, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Lowest cost possible. Prefer no HOA. Looking at modulars but not cookie-cutter looking ones.
Will send you a DM Vonnie.

Old 12-10-2017, 01:07 PM

Quote:

Have you considered a nice condo to save on single family ownership demands for upkeep etc. ? I'm buying a condo and cannot wait to save that aggravation of every danged expense in a s/f home and maintaining the land.

Old 12-10-2017, 07:54 PM

212 posts, read 265,304 times
My wife and I brought up the tripod today and made our Christmas card pic. This was another shot I really liked; the snow makes everything look incredible!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina