Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2015, 03:06 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Maybe you and Lukasage should. Then you can leave it undeveloped forever. Otherwise, quit trying to deny other people their private property rights.

How about you stop arguing for a real change.

.............. and how about you buying some property along that road at market value and see how it drops after they make a mess of the road and put in more stores and more high rise apts. so people can have magnificent views !. Huh? Huh?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2015, 04:25 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
How about you stop arguing for a real change.

.............. and how about you buying some property along that road at market value and see how it drops after they make a mess of the road and put in more stores and more high rise apts. so people can have magnificent views !. Huh? Huh?
Sorry, that makes no sense. But do keep living in your fantasy bubble.

Old 06-29-2016, 09:29 AM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Well. This just happened. 272 apartments approved for South Asheville's Mills Gap Road

I'm not convinced apartments have less traffic then a grocery store or something especially at rush hour, but whatever. We will be moving now. The traffic on this side of town has become insane with 5+apartments going online in just the last year.

It's like no one on city council lives here so no one cares what goes on.

I also find this laughable.... "Another condition of the zoning approval is that 15 percent of the apartments meet city affordability standards for 15 years, something that Pulliam said had never been done by a developer in Buncombe County. At the current standard, the 41 affordable units would be $819 a month for a one-bedroom apartment and $914 for a two-bedroom."
Because nearly $1000 a month is now considered affordable?!?!?!?

Old 06-29-2016, 09:54 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saucystargazer View Post
I'm not convinced apartments have less traffic then a grocery store or something especially at rush hour, but whatever.
I wonder how much traffic is specific for apartment communities. It should be less coming in and out if they are gated communities.

Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 AM

1,324 posts, read 2,511,524 times
Asheville is booming and there is no stopping it, happens to every place that is discovered. Good planning and zoning can go along way to make growth more palatable. Asheville and especially Buncombe County are short on both. Once we kill our golden goose of beautiful mountain scenery people will look to the next new spot. We will be left with too many ugly box stores, a mish/mosh of strip development, haphazard subdivisions and horrible traffic. Good development requires thinking down the road not just a buck for today, sadly not happening here :-(

Old 07-03-2016, 08:40 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
^^^ For sure ! it's already overcrowded. Pretty soon there will be no boundary between let's say Asheville and Black Mountain. I call it 'the population creep'. Try getting from Hendersonville to Asheville on Rt. 25. On a 'slow' day you'll hit every traffic light with traffic backed up forever; and there are several traffic lights and many impatient entitled drivers.

If people would purchase more existing homes rather than cutting up the mountain tops and raping the land, that would be a step forward. What we are seeing now is shotgun development by opportunistic out of state and in-state developers. It happens every market cycle. Many pulled up and left unfinished developments back in 2008/2009 and 'uglified' this beautiful area. Yes, I made that word up.

Old 07-03-2016, 12:53 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,101 times
Quote:
Well. This just happened. 272 apartments approved for South Asheville's Mills Gap Road

I'm not convinced apartments have less traffic then a grocery store or something especially at rush hour, but whatever. We will be moving now. The traffic on this side of town has become insane with 5+apartments going online in just the last year.

It's like no one on city council lives here so no one cares what goes on.

I also find this laughable.... "Another condition of the zoning approval is that 15 percent of the apartments meet city affordability standards for 15 years, something that Pulliam said had never been done by a developer in Buncombe County. At the current standard, the 41 affordable units would be $819 a month for a one-bedroom apartment and $914 for a two-bedroom."
Because nearly $1000 a month is now considered affordable?!?!?!?
Things like this are on the list of reasons we have a for sale sign in front of our house.

On a bad evening, traffic on Sweeten Creek can back up from Mills Gap to almost Rock Hill. The problem is it used to be an overflow route to Hendersonville Road, but since there are nine traffic signals between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Bank of America about 1.1 miles south, and none of them are synced, Sweeten Creek took on a life of its own. That is a heavy flow for a two-lane road with some limited areas that have left turn lanes.

It is not the growth that is the problem. It is the complete lack of planning and constant poorly considered reactions to the growth that compound the issues. Sooner or later, something has to give.

Old 07-03-2016, 01:55 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,472,221 times
Exactly Mule! I'm not sure where we will go and it won't be soon but I think we might start looking next year. Honestly I've said if Boone got a target I'd consider moving that way. Ha.

We won't go any further south as I hate dealing with 26. I also won't consider West due to the paper mill. I'd go back to fairview in a heartbeat but there are few walkable (need to be able to walk the dogs)neighborhoods that we could afford. North makes me nervous with the 26 connector construction that's going to start. It will take years and cause a lot of backups. I'd really like the swananoa area but again, not sure we could find a house.

Oh decisions.

Old 07-03-2016, 02:12 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Things like this are on the list of reasons we have a for sale sign in front of our house.

On a bad evening, traffic on Sweeten Creek can back up from Mills Gap to almost Rock Hill. The problem is it used to be an overflow route to Hendersonville Road, but since there are nine traffic signals between the Blue Ridge Parkway and the Bank of America about 1.1 miles south, and none of them are synced, Sweeten Creek took on a life of its own. That is a heavy flow for a two-lane road with some limited areas that have left turn lanes.

It is not the growth that is the problem. It is the complete lack of planning and constant poorly considered reactions to the growth that compound the issues. Sooner or later, something has to give.
Sweeten Creek Road needs to be widened to four lanes from Rock Hill Road to Hendersonville Road. I do not know where the North Carolina Department of Transportation stands in this.

Old 07-03-2016, 07:21 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,101 times
Quote:
Exactly Mule! I'm not sure where we will go and it won't be soon but I think we might start looking next year. Honestly I've said if Boone got a target I'd consider moving that way. Ha.

We won't go any further south as I hate dealing with 26. I also won't consider West due to the paper mill. I'd go back to fairview in a heartbeat but there are few walkable (need to be able to walk the dogs)neighborhoods that we could afford. North makes me nervous with the 26 connector construction that's going to start. It will take years and cause a lot of backups. I'd really like the swananoa area but again, not sure we could find a house.

Oh decisions.
We almost moved to the Fairview area 10 years ago, and I spent a good part of the last few days there for some reason. I always liked that area, but yeah, not walkable for man nor beast.

If this works out, we are out of the area altogether. We started becoming aggravated with things about three or four years ago, hit the point of no return last year, and conditions and events since have only solidified that decision. There are many reasons for our getting to this point. In the end we are looking at the trends and asking if this is where we want to be in five or ten years. Increasingly the answer has become no.

Our real estate agent says we will be getting an offer tomorrow. Before I pop the cork, we had a contract on day one that fell through. I have also heard people would be "sending us a contract tomorrow" before and had it not happen. But, at least there is cause for optimism. After 100 days on the market, this weekend, which we thought would be dead, gave us four visits and three follow up visits from them (the last of those will happen Tuesday).

Oh, and we were also going to get an offer from a scammer in Taiwan. Unfortunately for him, my wife has a client in Taiwan, and part of the "team" is a lawyer whose firm is the most prominent land and estate firm there. So, he contacted the guy by phone, and in Mandarin introduced himself and what he was checking up on. Low and behold, we never heard from the guy again. Whodathunkit?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina