Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2016, 10:12 AM

3 posts, read 3,540 times

Advertisements

I am interviewing for a job where the office is in Marion but my territory would be Hickory or Asheville. We currently live in N Western Colorado so we would like to stay in the mountains. What are commute time from Boone or blowing Rock area? Also any school recommendations my son will be starting 7th grade. Thanks for any input.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2016, 01:11 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,484,624 times
Asheville and Boone are 2 hours apart with at least an hour being windy two lane mnt roads. Not a doable daily commute. Hickory isn't really in the mountains.

When you do the interview you need to spend a weekish driving around and get a feel and then go from there.

School info would be worthless to try and give you at this point as you are looking at such a large area and multiple counties.

Old 06-20-2016, 01:35 PM

Thank you for the reply. We don't wish to live in Hickory or Asheville so I'm looking to see how far north would be a hour or so commute. We will probably rent something near Marion for now. Long term we wish to purchase 5+ acres. My current commute is 45m - 1hr on a two lane CR we get an average of 12" of snow a day in the winter. I'm not sure but I am assuming the winter conditions we be mild in comparison. We are looking to stay a bit cooler in temperature to be honest. I was raised in Savannah, GA and lived in Texas too long to want to deal with super heat and humidity. We have even though possibly west of Asheville. Thanks again all information is appreciated.

Old 06-20-2016, 02:24 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,609,825 times
Look at Weaverville, Swannanoa, Fairview, Black Mountain, anything west of Marion and you will be in the mountains with nice weather and easy commutes via I-26 and I-40.

Old 06-20-2016, 03:20 PM

4,797 posts, read 10,651,967 times
West of A'Ville is a possibility: Waynesville, Canton, Clyde, Maggie Valley, et al.
All of which have real elevation potentials from ~2800 ft (hot in summer), to almost 6,000 ft.

Less than an hour to Asheville area from any of those places, (usually 45 mins door to door), any/every day of week, and mostly I-40 once one has gotten to the Interstate. This all assumes your territory is Asheville, not Marion...

Haywood County, (Waynesville/MV, Clyde & Canton), is the highest mean/average county west of the Rockies. While none of this is Rocky Mtn high, elevation is one's friend if you are looking for similar to your situ and want to avoid warm to hot summers. If one were to look at 3,000 to 3,500 or higher the May to late Oct temps are much less warm than below that elevation.

No dawg in the fight, just pointing out that while many think of 'western NC for cooler temps' the usual metro areas have little elevation, are considerably warmer/as are winters, and everyone's comfort zone varies.

Renting first is good, though not cheap and agree on your first visit allowing for some driving around/looking stuff though western NC is a large area and initially very confusing with so many places to look.
GL, mD

Old 06-20-2016, 03:50 PM

342 posts, read 321,425 times
Distance Between Cities USA

may be a bit of a help to you when deciding.

Old 06-20-2016, 04:02 PM

Thanks for all the replies. All very helpful. Planning a week long visit in July.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:18 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,558,242 times
Do you need to be within commuting distance to the office in Marion, or one of the two territories you mentioned? Very different advice for each of the three.

Old 06-20-2016, 05:22 PM

146 posts, read 140,524 times
It really depends on if you will be in either Asheville or Hickory, or if you are working both.
If you will be in Hickory, Boone or Blowing Rock could be a possibility if you are already used to snow, mountains and commuting an hour, but it'd be a bit more of a drive to get to Marion. If you'll be working in Asheville, Black Mountain would be a good option. If you have to cover both Asheville and Hickory, you might consider Morganton.

Old 06-21-2016, 11:23 AM

119 posts, read 173,941 times
I lived in Marion and hated it. It is a very small town with nothing to really do.

One thing to consider is that, yes we do get snow ( the mountains more so then other places)and take it from a girl who is from CT, they do not clear the roads all that great here. So those winding 2 lane roads you would be driving from Boone or somewhere else may not be cleared that day or the next. I used to work for Baxter in Marion (Baxter supplies most of the IV bags used in hospitals) and there were people who lived up the mountain in Spruce Pine, Boone, and Burnsville and could not make it to work because of how bad the roads were. I have driven the road going to Spruce Pine and it can be very steep and curvy, with no place to really stop you from going over the side of the mountain.

Morganton is not bad, it's bigger than Marion, Black Mountain is nice too and Fairview.

I also know a little about the schools in Marion, Clyde, and Asheville (North, West and South). My oldest went to school in Clyde, Marion and North Asheville. My 2nd child started school in Marion and went to Schools in North, West and South Asheville. My ex-MIL worked in the schools in Marion and still has friends who work there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina