Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2016, 02:59 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,980 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opt-Out View Post
Crime rates can be really misleading. Because of the way they are calculated (typically on a one per 100,000 basis), small town numbers are either really good or really bad. Also, while harder to find, the circumstances matter. For eval purposes, I find random crime more concerning than violence or thefts that occur between family members.

I know exactly what you mean about a place just "clicking". We were bound and determined to "move to Asheville" for years. We instead landed in a beautiful rural area we had never heard of until living in a company apartment for a few months and really getting out an exploring the area. When its right, its right.

As for the whole downtown jail thread, I had forgotten about that. While I didn't share your concern, I thought it was a fair question.

More importantly, I'd like to know your stance on personal use fireworks.
(Just kidding / trying to keep it light, folks).

Good luck with your search,
Opt-Out
That's really it....a real "click". Just the right size for me to feel like a part of a community; to get involved and know and be known by others. And to get out hiking.

re fireworks.....sounded like a war zone over the weekend. I'm opposed!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2016, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
If you liked Brevard, you will love Hendersonville. Crime too high for you, locate in Flat Rock. At least there is lots of restaurants and shopping in H'ville vs Brevard + it is closer to Asheville and it rains far less. Transylvania county is a temperate rain forest.
Yep. I know about the rain. That's why I want to rent there for a year first.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Keep asking questions on things that are hot buttons for you. Believe me, over the years we've seen some doozies on this forum. The thing you are concerned about that you may think is the silliest probably can't hold a candle to some of them.
Thanks mule....I will keep asking. And I have no doubt you've seen some doozies.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM2000 View Post
CrusinSusan I totally get what you're saying about Brevard - not the Adirondack part because I've never been there, but there is something very 'comforting' about the town. That's a very subjective thing and if it clicks for you, go with it. For a time I also thought Brevard was IT for me and I'm sure if we had ended up renting there I would have fallen in love with it totally. For me, I find familiarity with a place breeds not contempt but comfort, and due to the rentals available when we needed one I became familiar with (then fell in love with) H'ville and Flat Rock instead. Keep researching the details that are important to you to see if it fits as well as your first impression. It's a double edged sword, though. Nothing in life is perfect. Not people, not towns, not colleges, not jobs and sometimes if we let our research or our list of criteria dictate too much we can miss out on some wonderful people, places or experiences. Spend some time in coffee shops and grocery stores there and chat up the servers, cashiers and customers. Ask about what's important to you and while you're at it, ask what drew them to Brevard because chances are really good a lot of people you find are not natives. It's good to hear their stories and it will probably help you with your decisions.
Yep, it really feels like "it". I will ask around. And I don't expect nirvana.

Old 07-07-2016, 03:10 PM

Oh well, don't need to respond to everyone, do I? lol Thanks for the helpfulness.

Old 07-12-2016, 10:26 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,913,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
However, when I got home I began the crime rate research thingy, and the *vastly* different "conclusions" offered by the various sites (I assume I can't mention them here, since they are competitors) make it impossible to know what's going on. It's so frustrating, but as someone who has done research and seen how academics do research up-close-and-personal, I'm not surprised. (I'm a serious critic of research "findings" as a result of what I personally saw going on.)

One site has H'ville as a 9 on a scale of 100 (with 100 being the safest). Really? That makes no sense whatsoever. And it has Brevard as a 20. Then another site has Brevard with a much higher crime and drug problem than H'ville. I don't think a single site reproduced the same results as another, and with this kind of research they should all match. X robbery arrests in the year 1234. Y drug arrests. And so on. It's not rocket science. Nothing to manipulate. Nothing to interpret even.

So it's up to just throwing my hands up as far as solid numbers are concerned. I have to go on gut instinct only. I *hate* that. I like rational and emotional decisions to fit together like a nice puzzle.
I know H'ville under reports and would imagine other areas do as well. It certainly changed my perception of small cities having less crime living in Western NC. Crime's sporadic and can be bad, but overall the feeling you get being here (most of the time) isn't one of it feeling like you're in a bad area. Noticed more signs of drug issues lately, but I'm not sure that overall it is on the rise.

As far as Brevard goes I'd say your biggest issue is going to be the rain. Something like 66 inches a year, which has to put it in the top ten for the US. Other cities in the area are closer to 35"-40". Has something to do with the mountains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina