Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2016, 01:08 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,549 times

Advertisements

I visited Brevard's downtown today, and fell in love. Seriously. Eyes welling up and all. I suppose that's due to the long, hard hunt and never feeling it: H'ville, Rutherfordton, Asheville. All to be near that beloved grandchild.

After stomping around WNC, it wins hands down, as a cross between the Adirondacks (much beloved by me) and another town I spent much of my adult life in which I also loved. I'm speaking here only of the downtown, as that's all I've seen of it, and downtowns are a big "want" for me. The plan now is to rent there for a year to get the vibe up close and for real. It's a big load off now that I know the "where" to begin. I'm soooo feeling Brevard.

However, when I got home I began the crime rate research thingy, and the *vastly* different "conclusions" offered by the various sites (I assume I can't mention them here, since they are competitors) make it impossible to know what's going on. It's so frustrating, but as someone who has done research and seen how academics do research up-close-and-personal, I'm not surprised. (I'm a serious critic of research "findings" as a result of what I personally saw going on.)

One site has H'ville as a 9 on a scale of 100 (with 100 being the safest). Really? That makes no sense whatsoever. And it has Brevard as a 20. Then another site has Brevard with a much higher crime and drug problem than H'ville. I don't think a single site reproduced the same results as another, and with this kind of research they should all match. X robbery arrests in the year 1234. Y drug arrests. And so on. It's not rocket science. Nothing to manipulate. Nothing to interpret even.

So it's up to just throwing my hands up as far as solid numbers are concerned. I have to go on gut instinct only. I *hate* that. I like rational and emotional decisions to fit together like a nice puzzle.

My rant's over. Do join in if you have found the same.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2016, 01:27 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Not going by any figures . . .

If I had to guess, I'd guess Brevard's crime rate would be lower than Hendersonville due to population alone.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:28 PM

5,126 posts, read 7,410,320 times
Just curious, but what did you prefer about Brevard over Hendersonville?

I find people's opinions about towns interesting.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:37 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,968,943 times
I speak as a native(33 years so far) who has experience working in the county as a firefighter and whose wife worked as a deputy clerk of court for 9 years and is now a magistrate in Transylvania Co(the county Brevard is in just in case you werent aware). the crime here is very low, and violent crime rate is even lower. I cant say it's non existent because even towns half the size of Brevard have crime, but still, Brevard is a VERY safe place.

Old 07-06-2016, 01:39 PM

339 posts, read 318,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shooting Stars View Post

must not be a jail in the downtown area.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:26 PM

Now that we have power again in H'ville, I can answer here....

Quote:
Not going by any figures . . .

If I had to guess, I'd guess Brevard's crime rate would be lower than Hendersonville due to population alone.

I agree.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:29 PM

Quote:

I love the Adirondacks, and Brevard has more of a small mountain town feel than H'ville. I like H'ville. But I loved Brevard...at least today. It doesn't have the plethora of dining options H'ville has and I thought that would mean H'ville would win out. But being there today...well, it's just me. Feels right.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
I speak as a native(33 years so far) who has experience working in the county as a firefighter and whose wife worked as a deputy clerk of court for 9 years and is now a magistrate in Transylvania Co(the county Brevard is in just in case you werent aware). the crime here is very low, and violent crime rate is even lower. I cant say it's non existent because even towns half the size of Brevard have crime, but still, Brevard is a VERY safe place.
Thanks for the insider information. I did know it was in T. County, and it struck me as just wrong that it had a higher crime rate than H'ville. Couldn't be right.

Old 07-06-2016, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastdash View Post
must not be a jail in the downtown area.
We got it. You don't like it when someone moving to the area wonders about something they view as a negative.

But do the boards a favor, and don't follow someone around the forums to take a poke at them. You want to continue to comment about how I don't like jails in downtowns (the nerve of me! I also don't like streams in my yard!) ...go to that thread and post there. Don't sully up other threads. Makes the whole place a mess.

So. Please. Let's stay on topic.

Old 07-06-2016, 07:27 PM

339 posts, read 318,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
We got it. You don't like it when someone moving to the area wonders about something they view as a negative.

But do the boards a favor, and don't follow someone around the forums to take a poke at them. You want to continue to comment about how I don't like jails in downtowns (the nerve of me! I also don't like streams in my yard!) ...go to that thread and post there. Don't sully up other threads. Makes the whole place a mess.

So. Please. Let's stay on topic.
Believe me , the last thing I have time/inclination to do is follow you..or anyone else... around on a forum.
You brought up the jails in the first place... not I... and it IS quite the norm for NC towns and cities to have them within the city limits , like it or not.
If Brevard does not have one then good for you, I have NO IDEA whether they do or not but now am assuming NOT.

I also have NO IDEA WTH you are talking about per streams but if you don't like those either, by all means, watch out for them in the hills.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina