Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 05:52 PM

695 posts, read 998,554 times

Advertisements

From researching the western NC threads for internet, the only game in town (Asheville) seems to be Charter. Is this still the case? What is the experience of those of you who subscribe to the internet service? I'm not interested in cable TV. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 07:33 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,885 times
Depends on what you want. We have Hugesnet and it's actually been pretty decent. That's coming from someone who moved from Raleigh and had TWC high speed. The only time we lose it is during a storm. The speed is good for most day to day internet usage, though when I have to remote into my work computer, it's pretty slow.

ETA, we can't get any type of DSL up here. We had two options, Hughesnet and using our data from our phone through a hotspot. Using our phone was burning up data so fast it was ridiculous, so we switched to Hughesnet.

Old 08-07-2016, 10:32 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
Morris Broadband in Hendersonville is absolutely awful.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:25 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post

I've had them for 14 yrs., never a problem. Their customer service is excellent (imo).

Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 AM

526 posts, read 460,189 times
Quote:
I agree have a friend who has them here on 64 and his service went out during a storm, they showed up exactly one week later which was this tuesday, told him boxes were hit during lightening storm and they don't carry them on truck. He went to town picked up two boxes and we tried to connect them and neither (boxes look pretty bad a few yrs old and filthy) one would work. They won't be out until next wed to check out the problem. So far it will be 2 weeks and a day and still no service.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:33 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
I've had them for 14 yrs., never a problem. Their customer service is excellent (imo).
Their broadband speed is very expensive for what you get compared to other cable companies like Charter. Basic Morris service is $45.95 for 10 Mbps and to get 50 Mbps you have to pay $99.95 a month. Charter gives you 60 Mbps for $45.95.

That is quite a rip off. As far as customer service, I had Charter employees tell me that they had no idea what was wrong with my internet service. Finally fixed after 3 months and the fix was simple. I could have done it. I don't know how many internet providers you have had but I have had most of them and Morris is just absolutely awful.

Old 08-07-2016, 11:47 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,549,944 times
Quote:
Their broadband speed is very expensive for what you get compared to other cable companies like Charter. Basic Morris service is $45.95 for 10 Mbps and to get 50 Mbps you have to pay $99.95 a month. Charter gives you 60 Mbps for $45.95.

That is quite a rip off. As far as customer service, I had Charter employees tell me that they had no idea what was wrong with my internet service. Finally fixed after 3 months and the fix was simple. I could have done it. I don't know how many internet providers you have had but I have had most of them and Morris is just absolutely awful.

You could not have had Charter in Hendersonville/Flat Rock, they don't service this area. I started here with 'Mediacom' in 2002 and they were awful. Morris Broadband bought Mediacom a few years after and although Morris had issues at the outset, they've been great for me. I've had both of those two here; and Direct TV and Cox Cable up north (you want to talk about awful! ); and at my FL place I had Comcast which was fair to poor. I get by with the lowest of Mbps with Mediacom for the lowest price and never an issue with a need for speed. I definitely have heard that Charter in many areas is awful; and I wish that cable providers didn't have monopolies.

I would not, however, discourage anyone from getting Mediacom; and most everyone else I know that has it feels the same, they like it.

Old 08-07-2016, 12:21 PM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
From researching the western NC threads for internet, the only game in town (Asheville) seems to be Charter. Is this still the case? What is the experience of those of you who subscribe to the internet service? I'm not interested in cable TV. Thanks in advance.
Because we both work at home and email/internet access has to be bullet proof, we have both Charter and AT&T DSL. My router allows me to use the DSL as a "spillover" and "fail over." Both have been rock solid, although I see more momentary interruptions on Charter.

Back when Charter was 30 mb/s, mine was testing at 44. Now it is at 60 and it tests out at that when I check. AT&T DSL is 6 mb/s, and generally tests out at 4.5-6.

I have not had a lot of good experiences with the Charter office support, but the field techs, both Charter and independent contractors have always been first rate.

My router is showing that is has not marked either the cable modem or DSL modem as "down" since the last time I rebooted the router. That does not mean there were not outages, only that the router did not send any data out that died on the vine on either one recently.

Old 08-07-2016, 07:55 PM

695 posts, read 998,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mule View Post
Because we both work at home and email/internet access has to be bullet proof, we have both Charter and AT&T DSL. My router allows me to use the DSL as a "spillover" and "fail over." Both have been rock solid, although I see more momentary interruptions on Charter.

Back when Charter was 30 mb/s, mine was testing at 44. Now it is at 60 and it tests out at that when I check. AT&T DSL is 6 mb/s, and generally tests out at 4.5-6.

I have not had a lot of good experiences with the Charter office support, but the field techs, both Charter and independent contractors have always been first rate.

My router is showing that is has not marked either the cable modem or DSL modem as "down" since the last time I rebooted the router. That does not mean there were not outages, only that the router did not send any data out that died on the vine on either one recently.
You mentioned the Charter office support, does Charter have an actual brick and mortar office in AVL, or is it all by phone? I have found that sometimes visiting the actual Comcast office here (in spite of long wait times) can be more effective than talking with a Comcast customer support person in India by phone (not kidding).

Old 08-08-2016, 05:41 AM

679 posts, read 1,462,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by olderandwiser456 View Post
You mentioned the Charter office support, does Charter have an actual brick and mortar office in AVL, or is it all by phone? I have found that sometimes visiting the actual Comcast office here (in spite of long wait times) can be more effective than talking with a Comcast customer support person in India by phone (not kidding).
Charter does have at least one physical location for picking up and dropping off equipment and getting face to face support. The one I am aware of is off Hendersonville Road in south Asheville. I probably would not try to resolve a technical issue with them, but if the answer is to swap out the cable box, you can do so there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina