Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 10:30 AM

13,373 posts, read 27,044,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by maestromaestro View Post
Hmmm... Why do I get a feeling that y'all just don't want me to come to AVL and buy a parcel now? :-)

So if I said - OK, what about if I bought a house (vs. land) now, with the idea that I will move into it in 13 years, would your advice be any different?
Yes, the answer would be different. Houses are much more likely to appreciate than raw land.

However, do you want to be a landlord for the next 13 years? That's difficult to do from a distance away. Furthermore, the house will have 13 years of wear-and-tear, and you will want to renovate it before moving in yourself.

Frankly, I'd just keep my money in a good diversified mutual fund. Buy land about 18 months before your expected retirement date. Then you can build the house of your dreams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 11:28 AM

13 posts, read 8,773 times
Alright, citizens of the 9th division... I heard you - land in AVL area is a poor "investment". However, the questions I asked weren't about financial advice - I have people who do that. I asked if anyone has a name of a trustworthy real estate broker and explained the intent behind the request.

What I got back were opinions as to what I should do with my money instead and stories about what y'all did and how it is much better than what I am contemplating. Don't get all defensive on me now - I appreciate your concerns and thank you for that.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:02 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Alright, citizens of the 9th division... I heard you - land in AVL area is a poor "investment". However, the questions I asked weren't about financial advice - I have people who do that. I asked if anyone has a name of a trustworthy real estate broker and explained the intent behind the request.

What I got back were opinions as to what I should do with my money instead and stories about what y'all did and how it is much better than what I am contemplating. Don't get all defensive on me now - I appreciate your concerns and thank you for that.

Suggest you subscribe to or frequent the local newspapers:

Asheville: www.citizen-times.com

Hendersonville: www.blueridgenow.com

They have most of their advertisements for real estate in the Sunday editions of the papers.

Old 07-24-2016, 12:21 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:

As to parking the money - well, there are risks in any investments. Real estate is not without risks as well, but in that sense - it's not unlike any other instruments. So, yes, another recession can hit and the property prices may go down, but again... AVL recovered from the slump, and there is just as good a chance for an upside. And, the option to sell is still there - not as liquid as stock, but is there. Thus hoping that it wouldn't 'just sit' there. After all, the underlying thought (?) is that in general the RE prices do go up in time.
This is my take as well. It's not easy to find land, it takes time. Also, once land is bought up in area, it's gone. I guess it depends where you want to be as well. Taxes are minimal when there is no dwelling on the property. I guess if you buy in an HOA, that maybe a whole different ballpark for rules and time frame. If you buy outside of an HOA, you shouldn't run into those issues. To me, it would give me a sense of security or just piece of mind knowing that I had a lot available to build on when I was ready. I know that I am the outcast here but it's just my opinion.

Last edited by beckycat; 07-24-2016 at 12:30 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
I asked if anyone has a name of a trustworthy real estate broker and explained the intent behind the request.
It might help if you told us how much land you want and an approximate price range.

I can PM the name of someone who specializes in large land tracts, but you could Google her yourself. She is an "Accredited Land Consultant". I hope someone know if that is a meaningful qualification.

BTW, the Land and Farm website will have a variety of listing. You can see for yourself that some are fire-sale prices, perhaps because they are impractical to build on.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-24-2016 at 01:02 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
It might help if you told us how much land you want and an approximate price range.

I can PM the name of someone who specializes in large land tracts, but you could Google her yourself.
The dilemma is precisely that - to balance the location, the size, and the price. On Zillow, there are tracts of land that can be had for under 50K, but that's in the 'wilderness'. I don't want septic tanks or wells - so, it needs to be close enough to civilization - OR, and that's where the tea leaves come in - become close to that in a decade.

So, really, not much more (maybe less) than an acre - and I don't know if land parcels that won't have the restriction on the time-to-build "come" in this size, hence the need to talk to a realtor. Ultimately, I'd spend up to 100K, but, as I said, this is dependent on a number of variables - location, proximity to roads, accessibility, power, water, sewer, and again, perhaps not building for a number of years.

Old 07-24-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
I don't want septic tanks or wells - so, it needs to be close enough to civilization - OR, and that's where the tea leaves come in - become close to that in a decade.
This may help find lots with sewer. The Buncombe County Metropolitan Sewer District recently added GIS mapping. This may help you spot where the growth would go. MSD GIS VIEWER

I believe that the PS labels are pumping stations. If you poke around, you can see that there are sewers as far out as Weaverville.

Last edited by goldenage1; 07-24-2016 at 03:33 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 03:56 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,065,841 times
Quote:
The dilemma is precisely that - to balance the location, the size, and the price. On Zillow, there are tracts of land that can be had for under 50K, but that's in the 'wilderness'. I don't want septic tanks or wells - so, it needs to be close enough to civilization - OR, and that's where the tea leaves come in - become close to that in a decade.

So, really, not much more (maybe less) than an acre - and I don't know if land parcels that won't have the restriction on the time-to-build "come" in this size, hence the need to talk to a realtor. Ultimately, I'd spend up to 100K, but, as I said, this is dependent on a number of variables - location, proximity to roads, accessibility, power, water, sewer, and again, perhaps not building for a number of years.
See, that's why I think it's wise to buy now. Many people want to be close to city center and much of it is built up. That being said, if a lot pops up you might want to consider it. Who knows if you will have that availability in 13 years. Now, if you were looking farther out in rural areas, I don't think it would be an issue to find land down the line. Just my thought.

I hope someone can recommend a realtor and you can ask these important questions.

Old 07-24-2016, 04:08 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:

Rather doubt you will find approx. an acre lot that has sewers. Call a major franchise real estate office in this area and talk to a competent broker. All the real estate offices have websites and have the only true information on land in the area. Don't rely on Zillow or Trulia; it's like flying with a blindfold on and will have you going in circles in an area you know very little about. How long have you been living in the Houston area? and how many times have you visited the NC mountains? Huge difference in land purchases, county rules and regs for building, sloping or steep land regulations and so forth. Unless you've had experience and boots on the ground here more than once, you definitely need a good agent who specializes in land purchases. Best wishes.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Unless you've had experience and boots on the ground here more than once, you definitely need a good agent who specializes in land purchases. Best wishes.
Indeed. Thank you for validating my original request for a referral. Some folks decided that I should instead hear their opinions on what better uses there are out there for the money, or offered up examples of what they did - I suppose as a demonstration that I should follow in their steps. I appreciate that they merely trying to alert me to a potential mistake that I wasn't going to make. So, it's all good, as they say...

I understand that this enterprise is not without risks, and thus is essentially a mystery - thus requiring more datapoints. That's precisely that I am hoping to get from the realtor(s) - which may be necessary, but not sufficient, mathematically speaking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina