Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-24-2016, 08:42 PM

339 posts, read 319,085 times

Advertisements

I just saw the below on the news, seems I remember someone here not too long ago warning someone else about the slippery rocks around the waterfalls, so sad this has happened to her or anyone.
All you that go out enjoying these beautiful falls PLEASE wear shoes with excellent traction and be so careful at all times !

http://www.wral.com/georgia-news-anc...fall/15874136/

Last edited by lastdash; 07-24-2016 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2016, 05:13 AM

644 posts, read 670,686 times
How tragic - very sad.

Old 07-25-2016, 07:32 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Breaking news: Disregarding restricted area signage to keep you out of dangerous and unsafe areas results in injury and death.

It is sad.

Old 07-25-2016, 01:22 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Breaking news: Disregarding restricted area signage to keep you out of dangerous and unsafe areas results in injury and death.

It is terribly sad.

Yes, very sad. There are plenty of signs at every waterfall, on the road, inside the fences, yada yada. Yet many people pay no attention. We were up by Looking Glass Falls in Pisgah on Thursday late morning, and could not believe the cars lined up on the side of the road; people were walking at least half a mile from their cars in each direction and large signs everywhere. When we slowed down and looked over there had to be 200 people down there, and small children! Yes, people standing right at the edge of the precipice. I couldn't look for long, didn't want to see anyone fall, omg. Coming back down around 4 pm, I swear it was even more crowded.

We only hear about the fatalities, you can bet there are more 'almost' tragedies that don't get publicized. It won't be long before visitors will be banned from going near waterfalls because of the blatant disregard for possible dangers. They are not only risking their own lives, but risking the lives of the rescue personnel.

Old 07-26-2016, 03:57 AM

244 posts, read 714,825 times
Bad idea, ask the ghost of Elisha Mitchell.

Old 07-26-2016, 07:04 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
I just don't understand it. It seems common sense to not want to be in the water at the top of a waterfall. If you want to get in the water, common sense would dictate the bottom would not have the danger of falling over it (still potential drowning hazard and currents can be dangerous). So tragic.

Old 07-27-2016, 01:50 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, very sad. There are plenty of signs at every waterfall, on the road, inside the fences, yada yada. Yet many people pay no attention. We were up by Looking Glass Falls in Pisgah on Thursday late morning, and could not believe the cars lined up on the side of the road; people were walking at least half a mile from their cars in each direction and large signs everywhere. When we slowed down and looked over there had to be 200 people down there, and small children! Yes, people standing right at the edge of the precipice. I couldn't look for long, didn't want to see anyone fall, omg. Coming back down around 4 pm, I swear it was even more crowded.

We only hear about the fatalities, you can bet there are more 'almost' tragedies that don't get publicized. It won't be long before visitors will be banned from going near waterfalls because of the blatant disregard for possible dangers. They are not only risking their own lives, but risking the lives of the rescue personnel.
What you saw were probably people at the bottom....there's stairs that go down and a pretty nice swimming hole down there. I usually go up 276 once or twice a week for a drive, and fortunately, it's pretty rare to see anyone at the top of the falls.

As for OP, it was probably me that you remember warning others about waterfalls....on most posts here, if someone asks about outdoor attractions here, i always put a word of caution in about the dangers of waterfalls. Unfortunately, people have this mentality, that even though they have little to no experience around waterfalls, they think they can still navigate them, and that a fall couldnt happen to them. It boils down to nothing more than very little common sense, bordering on the edge of pure stupidity.

Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wcu25rs View Post
What you saw were probably people at the bottom....there's stairs that go down and a pretty nice swimming hole down there. I usually go up 276 once or twice a week for a drive, and fortunately, it's pretty rare to see anyone at the top of the falls.

As for OP, it was probably me that you remember warning others about waterfalls....on most posts here, if someone asks about outdoor attractions here, i always put a word of caution in about the dangers of waterfalls. Unfortunately, people have this mentality, that even though they have little to no experience around waterfalls, they think they can still navigate them, and that a fall couldnt happen to them. It boils down to nothing more than very little common sense, bordering on the edge of pure stupidity.

Huh? I said there were probably 200 people "down there', at the bottom. ! Been 'down there' myself.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:30 PM

1,571 posts, read 2,969,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Huh? I said there were probably 200 people "down there', at the bottom. ! Been 'down there' myself.

ok....but you talking about people on the edge of the precipice and not wanting to see anyone fall was confusing. Hard to fall off a precipice at the bottom of a waterfall.

Old 07-28-2016, 03:44 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,538,172 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post

It is sad.
Darwin Award nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina