Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2017, 01:11 AM

4 posts, read 4,885 times

Advertisements

Hello to all of you! First timer here.

I'm considering purchasing land fairly soon in the High Country for retirement in five years. I'm a native Tar Heel, born and reared in Alamance County. However, my wife and I have lived in Southern California for the past 30 years, raising our family here. It has been a great life, but we are dismayed with the decline in almost every way in California. Taxes are awful and retirement property exorbitant - among other concerns. My brother and family still live in NC, so we might both buy there in the Boone area.

Some of my questions are: What is the humidity like in the summer (I HATED summers in the Piedmont as a kid), are natives friendly to newcomers? We're outdoors types so that probably helps. I'm a professional musician (as you might've guessed from my moniker) and would like to continue to make music for as long as I can. Opportunities?

What local shopping is available? Is the local hospital really good? Are there fine dining and cultural activities?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2017, 10:01 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,536,430 times
Weather/Humidity - Ray's Weather Center - Boone - booneweather.com - click on "Almanac" for historical averages and data. We live at 3,750 elevation, sort of in the woods, and rarely use our A/C. Having said that, many years ago it was rare to see 80 in the summer. Now it's rare to see 90. And "they" deny climate change. Pshaw!

Shopping - Local specialty shops in downtown Boone and Blowing Rock and scattered about. Otherwise WalMart, Belk, JC Penney, Boone Drug and major drugstore chains, plenty of groceries including Publix (under constr). Hickory and Winston-Salem are closest for additional retail choices.

Hospital is fine for routine stuff. Plenty of good local doctors for most basic needs. There are loads of wealthy seasonal residents, many of them older. They are very generous to the hospital and other local institutions. Winston-Salem is 1.5 hour drive for specialized medical procedures.

For an area of its size, dining choices are pretty good, especially if you include Blowing Rock. Plus 3 local wineries and a growing craft brew industry.

Music is not my "thing" but it appears that there is an active local music scene. See links below. With App State in Boone, there is a wide range of cultural options.

With the somewhat transient nature of the area, transplants don't generally "stick out." As long as you come in with an open mind and don't want to change everything to the way it was "back home," you'll do fine. Lots of opportunities for volunteers. That's one of the best ways to make like-minded friends.

To get a good feel for the area:

Mountain Times

Watauga Democrat: Serving the High Country since 1888

High Country Press

Last edited by roadpony; 01-07-2017 at 10:10 AM..

Old 01-07-2017, 12:46 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,912 times
ahhhhhh...you'll love it! Im 1 county over...Avery...very friendly people, healthy music scene, we have 3 wineries that offer music all summer sat and sun. Summer concerts and a lot of music all week long at pubs, cafes, INNS, Beech and Sugar Mountain. In the last 5 years Id say the music scene exploded. Lots of retirees in Avery vs college town of Boone so music scene caters to a different crowd. I hate humidity and i do complain in the summer but it's not unbearable. Imo though a home with AC is a must...for me at least Good luck and ask away!

Old 01-09-2017, 07:43 PM

3,223 posts, read 9,634,381 times
The snow can get bad up there but apart from that go for it. Summer humidity isn't as bad up there as the piedmont. You'll be a short drive from Hickory if you live by Boone. You'll be near Asheville if you're more northwest.

Old 01-11-2017, 12:36 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Summers are very mild however winters can be bitterly cold

It's not a Mediterranean climate

Old 01-11-2017, 03:31 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Summers in Boone are about 10-15 degrees cooler than Alamance County. Winters can be about the same amount colder!

So when it's 90 in Burlington, it might be 75 in Boone. Likewise, though, in the winter, when it's 40 in Burlington, it can be 25 in Boone.

It just depends, though. Right now Burlington and Boone are only about 5 degrees apart.

Here's weather data for December in Burlington NC vs Boone NC and Burlington in July vs Boone in July. The highest high this past July in Burlington was 97. In Boone it was 85, which is pretty significant to me. I don't mind 85.

Last edited by poppydog; 01-11-2017 at 03:42 PM..

Old 01-12-2017, 03:14 PM

1,738 posts, read 2,576,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Summers are very mild however winters can be bitterly cold

It's not a Mediterranean climate
I'd save "bitterly cold" for places like Minnesota and Montana.

Old 01-12-2017, 04:15 PM

1,912 posts, read 3,226,912 times
Ensemble Theatre from Blowing Rock just announced Banner Elk in Avery County will be their new permanent home!!!!! WOOOOHOOOOO

Old 08-08-2017, 09:09 PM

4 posts, read 4,885 times
I'm so sorry for the super tardy reply and gratitude!

Thank you all for the great info and responses...exactly what I expected from Tar Heels!

Another question: My asthma is bad and getting worse by the year. How are allergens in the High Country? My symptoms are exacerbated by cigarettes, even from many yards away. Approximately what percentage of the population smokes in public these days? I remember when I was a kid it was every 1.5 people, LOL.

Thanks so much everyone!

Old 08-08-2017, 09:28 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Not very many at all any more. No smoking in most restaurants and bars, either.

TPCB: SmokeFreeNC: FAQs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina