Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2021, 06:13 AM

20 posts, read 18,113 times

Advertisements

I live in Asheville. My future son in law just got a new position at his job and my daughter and he can move anywhere in NC. They would like to live near us, but Asheville is too expensive for what they would want. They will live on his income only as I think they want to start a family soon, so about $120k. He would have to fly a few times per month, so would need to live w/in 1 hr. of an airport as well.

They are both 29 years old. They love the outdoors and would hike, kayak, skiing, etc. They have 2 cats and would like to get a German Shorthair Pointer for a family pet and hunting. So, they would want at least 1 acre. They could handle $350-$375k for a house-would be their first time owning.

Any suggestions on where they should look to purchase a home?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2021, 07:59 AM

146 posts, read 139,500 times
Hickory may be a good place for them. 1 hr (-ish, depending on specific location in Asheville) from Asheville, 1 hr from International Airport (CLT), 30 minutes from mountain hiking, lots of kayaking opportunities, 40 minutes to skiing, more affordable housing/land.
Morganton would be a little closer to AVL but a little further from the airport, but many of the same offerings as Hickory.
If you wanted to go in a different direction- South of Asheville- Traveler’s Rest to Greenville, SC may be attractive.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:01 PM

59 posts, read 61,501 times
I have been trying to find something within an hour of an airport and some WNC towns. Tryon and Rutherfordton are some I have been researching though i have not made the trip to check them out yet. they are about an hour from AVL and an hour to CLT airports. Though they are in the foothills and not the actual mountains.

Old 02-23-2021, 01:40 PM

425 posts, read 418,689 times
If this prospective family is content to live several miles outside the city limits, they have many options. Probably what will really matter to them is how close they decide that they really need to be to a major airport... Perhaps 90 minutes to Asheville is good enough, etc.

Some locations near I-40 could work for flying out from either Greensboro or Charlotte.

Old 02-23-2021, 02:54 PM

6,627 posts, read 4,295,043 times
I would think they could find something in the Hendersonville/Flat Rock/Laurel Park area in this price range. Take a look on the south and southwest side of Hendersonville. There are some very nice residential areas here. This area is very convenient to AVL and about 30 miles from Asheville; also not a bad drive to GSP. When we were flying, we flew into CLT a lot. It's a little furthur, but it has more direct flights.

Old 02-23-2021, 05:02 PM

231 posts, read 234,248 times
Realtor.com shows 48 single family houses for sale in Asheville for $375,000 or less.

Old 02-24-2021, 12:33 PM

20 posts, read 18,113 times
Thanks Everyone. All good suggestions!

Old 02-25-2021, 03:52 PM

27,188 posts, read 43,876,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbief4 View Post
I live in Asheville. My future son in law just got a new position at his job and my daughter and he can move anywhere in NC. They would like to live near us, but Asheville is too expensive for what they would want. They will live on his income only as I think they want to start a family soon, so about $120k. He would have to fly a few times per month, so would need to live w/in 1 hr. of an airport as well.

They are both 29 years old. They love the outdoors and would hike, kayak, skiing, etc. They have 2 cats and would like to get a German Shorthair Pointer for a family pet and hunting. So, they would want at least 1 acre. They could handle $350-$375k for a house-would be their first time owning.

Any suggestions on where they should look to purchase a home?
They can find some good options in Asheville or neighboring north side suburbs like Weaverville, Mars Hill or Marshall. From a outdoor enthusiast's perspective this area would be preferable over places further south at less altitude. Check out the new construction property near Mars Hill for 363K. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...02,11&qdm=true

Old 02-25-2021, 07:00 PM

8,104 posts, read 6,748,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
They can find some good options in Asheville or neighboring north side suburbs like Weaverville, Mars Hill or Marshall. From a outdoor enthusiast's perspective this area would be preferable over places further south at less altitude. Check out the new construction property near Mars Hill for 363K. https://www.realtor.com/realestatean...02,11&qdm=true
This^^^North is the way to go!

Old 02-26-2021, 01:50 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,101,357 times
The Marion to Hickory corridor along I-40 should have lots of options. If a smaller town feel is preferred, perhaps Rutherfordton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina