Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2017, 09:45 PM

9 posts, read 28,554 times

Advertisements

I am an over 50 female thinking of relocating to the mountains. I have been researching the Western North Carolina area for quite some time. I see a lot of information online about the area being extremely racist. I know it's a sad question to have to ask in this day and time, but I do need to ask. Can anyone comment on the safety and treatment of African American people in this area? I am looking at Woodfin, Black Mountain, Boone, and south Asheville's Biltmore area. I prefer small, slow, laid back towns. I am not a city girl at all. I know that the internet is full of false information, but it is full of accurate information, too, and who can tell the difference? I am hoping someone will clarify this for me and leave comments on race relations in this area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2017, 02:24 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,574,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setapart View Post
I am an over 50 female thinking of relocating to the mountains. I have been researching the Western North Carolina area for quite some time. I see a lot of information online about the area being extremely racist.
Just curious, on what sites do you see that information?

Old 03-04-2017, 06:13 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I am not African American, so it's hard for me to actually answer your question. I have not observed overt racism in this area (Asheville and outlying areas). I think you would likely run into less in metro Asheville because it's more diverse than the other areas you have listed, but again, that's the opinion of a middle aged white female.

I am from Raleigh and I can say that Raleigh (and Charlotte) are very diverse and you will not run into much racism there or even in the Greensboro area, mainly because they are highly populated areas.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:14 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,547,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by setapart View Post
I am an over 50 female thinking of relocating to the mountains. I have been researching the Western North Carolina area for quite some time. I see a lot of information online about the area being extremely racist. I know it's a sad question to have to ask in this day and time, but I do need to ask. Can anyone comment on the safety and treatment of African American people in this area? I am looking at Woodfin, Black Mountain, Boone, and south Asheville's Biltmore area. I prefer small, slow, laid back towns. I am not a city girl at all. I know that the internet is full of false information, but it is full of accurate information, too, and who can tell the difference? I am hoping someone will clarify this for me and leave comments on race relations in this area.

Don't know where you are getting that kind of information, it is not valid. Have you visited this area at all? I would think not, because Asheville's Biltmore area is very much 'city'. Boone is a college type area, much colder, can be icey in the winter. The areas you've mentioned above are not related to each other in any way. Will you be retired or need employment? Depending on your profession the job situation in the mountains is not booming. But the real estate is .... to give you better info, what is your price range? and do you plan to rent or buy ? Race should be the least of your concerns.

Old 03-04-2017, 06:59 AM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
Yes what Internet site says this? I am most curious.

Old 03-04-2017, 08:17 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
The African American population is pretty small in the mountains compared to the rest of NC (both the cities and the rural areas), which like most states in the South has a relatively large African American population.

The city of Asheville is super liberal and prides itself in being open-minded. Terry Bellamy, an African American woman was mayor of Asheville from 2005-2013.

The NC mountain region was never a major industrial hub like the cities of the North that attracted a large African American population during the Great Migration and it was never the big slave-holding region that more lowland areas of the South were. So, bottom line is fewer black folks in the mountains. There are a fair amount of Hispanics, though, who have moved to the area in the past few decades to work in agriculture and similar jobs. I wouldn't be surprised if Hispanics outnumber African Americans in the region.

OK, I did a little looking up of stats here on City-Data and the African American population (12.3%) in Asheville is larger than the Hispanic population (6.7%), to 76.7% white. Black Mountain is 87% white, 6.3% black, 2.1% Hispanic. BTW, did you know sportscaster and former NBA and UNC basketball player Brad Daugherty is from Black Mountain? Boone is 89.4% white (which surprised me with Appalachian State University there — it's a pretty big school), 2.3% black, 3.1% hispanic.

hth

Last edited by poppydog; 03-04-2017 at 08:37 AM..

Old 03-04-2017, 09:20 AM

730 posts, read 775,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Boone is 89.4% white (which surprised me with Appalachian State University there — it's a pretty big school), 2.3% black, 3.1% hispanic.

hth
Snow sports are still predominately white people.

Old 03-04-2017, 12:44 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
I made a comment in another thread that I saw far more black people in Downtown Greenville than I saw in downtown Asheville. It shouldn't be interpreted that I thought Asheville was racist. I said I would be more comfortable in Greenville if I were black but didn't explain that's because it is my personality type to want to blend in, not because I would expect animosity in Asheville.

Old 03-04-2017, 02:54 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,317,781 times
I for one never took it that way creek. Greenville is 28% black alone according to city data so there would be more people there.

Easier to blend in if that is good for you.

I am still waiting to hear from Op as to what says there is a problem in the first place

Old 03-04-2017, 05:10 PM

3,444 posts, read 2,820,038 times
I don't know how many responses are from African Americans, but I am totally aware (as a white woman) that there is racism in some areas that AA people have to deal with every day. I think she may be asking about whether anyone has experienced that in the areas she mentioned. I know that I didn't even consider Black Mountain because I came across several different posts saying it wasn't friendly to outsiders. That may not be true, but it scared me away from that area. I am sure the OP did some research and probably came across the same type of information. It can scare you away from certain areas, especially if you are a minority who may have been exposed to racism based on nothing other than the color of your skin. I think her question is reasonable and there is no reason to read more into it than the face value.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina