Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2017, 08:14 PM

2 posts, read 1,781 times

Advertisements

I know there are a few threads about this already, but I have specific questions. My partner and I are looking for something a) possibly near Asheville, but more scenic - I've looked at Fletcher, Black Mountain, Arden (a little), and am interested in hearing about other gay-friendly places in that area; b) also, somewhere gay-friendly near the mountains, or foresty area, or by water somewhere (especially ocean, but I honestly haven't seen enough of the state to know how the beaches are); c) as cool as possible in summer, but not TOO cold in winter.

I know these are a lot of boxes to tick! My partner is enamored of living along the Appalachian Trail, but she comes from a very small, natural, woodsy town in Australia, and snow is too much for her. She also loves water. So you see where my boxes come from!

Any advice people could give me about cities that might fit as many of the categories as possible (I realize we can't live by the ocean and in the mountains at the same time), I would REALLY appreciate it. If anyone knows of any other state along the AT with any of these conditions, I'm open to that, too.

I guess my version of gay-friendly, for purposes of what's acceptable to me, is that we'd feel comfortable walking down the street holding hands.

Thanks again, and thanks in advance!

Sessa
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2017, 05:18 AM

411 posts, read 617,243 times
I'm thinking that if you look in the Arden vicinity you could have easy access to the AT, the French Broad River, and Lake Powhatan (inside Bent Creek Experimental Foest-also great for hiking). Choosing a higher elevation for your home will get you cooler summers. Snow happens, but not tons, and living in a more popular area will increase the chance that snow removal will happen more quickly.

Old 08-19-2017, 07:01 AM

17 posts, read 14,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowjanuce View Post
I know these are a lot of boxes to tick! My partner is enamored of living along the Appalachian Trail, but she comes from a very small, natural, woodsy town in Australia, and snow is too much for her. She also loves water. So you see where my boxes come from!
I'm not sure if this will be useful information or not, but if not already considered, you might take a look at areas along the Mountains to Sea Trail, which spans NC by running up the mountains and then across the state, to the beach and up the outer banks.

The mountain portion of the MST runs farther east than the AT, and so it may open up different town and climate possibilities.

Unfortunately, I don't know a whole lot more about it than the above! But the project has a very nice website:

https://mountainstoseatrail.org/the-trail/

Note that some sections run along roads while they continue to work towards a goal of off-road trails for the whole thing. But I think that the mountain portions are nearly entirely off roads.

Best wishes to you and your partner for ticking as many of those boxes as possible!

Old 08-19-2017, 07:25 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,358,759 times
Realtors advertise here: Gay Asheville NC and I assume they'd know where a welcoming spot might be. Asheville proper would be fine for holding hands, as it's been called, possibly, the most gay friendly place in the US (I'd think San Fran would be)....but I can't link the article, since it's a competing site, though I'm sure you can find it via google.

I can't yet speak to the other places you mentioned, insofar as holding hands goes, but I doubt you'd be walking in Fletcher or Arden, other than a morning stroll, as there isn't a downtown area. Black Mountain does have a downtown, and I'd like to think it would be a safe place to be yourself. Hopefully others will elaborate.

Old 08-19-2017, 08:00 AM

526 posts, read 461,543 times
I may be dating myself here but people really pick and choose where they want to live by their sexual orientation now a days? Darned find a place you like and be done with it and enjoy yourselves.
If I was to advertise I am looking for an area where my large breasted partner and I could live would that be normal?

Old 08-19-2017, 08:17 AM

81 posts, read 67,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
I may be dating myself here but people really pick and choose where they want to live by their sexual orientation now a days? Darned find a place you like and be done with it and enjoy yourselves.
If I was to advertise I am looking for an area where my large breasted partner and I could live would that be normal?
Maybe you'd understand if you walked down the street holding hands with a same gender friend in West Asheville and did the same in Waynesville.

Old 08-19-2017, 02:28 PM

2 posts, read 1,781 times
Thanks to everyone who's answered so far (except for The Bear Hunter, who was not helpful, and thanks to WNCFUSE for answering that, so I didn't have to). I do like that Black Mountain might be a good place to be - it also sounds big enough for me, but small enough for her. Thanks!

Old 08-19-2017, 02:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,395,503 times
If you like artsy places check out Celo near Burnsville also or Penland.

It's HOT in the middle of the state in the summer, but Chapel Hill, Carrboro, and Durham are exceptionally LGBTQ friendly.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:00 PM

526 posts, read 461,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WNCFUSE View Post
Maybe you'd understand if you walked down the street holding hands with a same gender friend in West Asheville and did the same in Waynesville.
Been to Asheville many times, live in Hendersonville and although I don't visit Main St much anymore I've seen many folk holding hands of their partners. Just never cared and unless they were making a stink to sticking out I never took notice.
I have both a niece and close cousin who are gay and I although I don't agree with the lifestyle never heard either one having an issue with where they live. Both have visited with their partners and we've gone out nearly every time without a care. Neither plays the victim card either maybe that's the difference.

Old 08-19-2017, 03:39 PM

81 posts, read 67,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
Been to Asheville many times, live in Hendersonville and although I don't visit Main St much anymore I've seen many folk holding hands of their partners. Just never cared and unless they were making a stink to sticking out I never took notice.
I have both a niece and close cousin who are gay and I although I don't agree with the lifestyle never heard either one having an issue with where they live. Both have visited with their partners and we've gone out nearly every time without a care. Neither plays the victim card either maybe that's the difference.
If you don't play the "victim card" you're okay? Maybe you're a troll (which seems likely, as your initial response to the OP begged the question) so I won't bother posting links to stats of violence against LGBT people. Probably "fake" news to you anyway with all of your carefree experiences with your relatives.

To answer the original question, I know there a decent number of lesbians in Brevard and some of the outlying HOAs, but as far as public acceptance there are plenty of supporters but also enough haters to require some thick skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina