Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2017, 05:59 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,609,825 times

Advertisements

Very good article(s) about the flood of people to Asheville area(s) in this morning's Citizen-Times. Speaks for itself.

http://www.citizen-times.com/story/n...ere/419508001/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2017, 06:06 AM

526 posts, read 461,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Very good article(s) about the flood of people to Asheville area(s) in this morning's Citizen-Times. Speaks for itself.

Is Asheville being 'loved to death?' We're getting there...
Maybe! It's one of the few Ultra Liberal towns in WNC, which is OK if that's what you want. We should all live where we are comfortable.
But I will bet if you read that same paper you will find articles with the same people whining of no livable wage jobs.

Old 06-25-2017, 07:49 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,359,546 times
I believe it. And I suspect something is coming nationwide. This morning I googled "stock market predictions"; and in an unrelated search (I forgot where I originally saw it) a story came up entitled "It's never been more expensive to buy a house". Google both phrases.

I've decided to rent for a while and see what happens.

Old 06-25-2017, 09:47 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,400,721 times
From the article:
Quote:
And while the job market is ridiculously hot right now — Asheville had a 3.2 percent unemployment rate in April and employers are having trouble finding enough workers — our wages lag behind some areas of the state with more industry and tech.

Wages have just got to come up. Asheville consistently ranks as one of the most expensive places to live in North Carolina, yet employers in many cases offer wages that don't take that into account. When you can't afford to live in a place, it's not so livable anymore.
I think this is the point that folks were making on that "Asheville lacks workers" thread.

Asheville might want to look at some of the tactics Chapel Hill has tried with affordable housing. It's still a huge sticking point for Chapel Hill because it's another highly desirable area and people keep moving in all the time and developers can make money on building new houses and apartments, but we have policies in place that require developers include affordable units in their developments or pay into an affordable housing fund. Town of Chapel Hill, NC : Affordable Housing

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
Maybe! It's one of the few Ultra Liberal towns in WNC, which is OK if that's what you want.
Y'know Asheville definitely has a hippie, liberal vibe, but going by the election results for the past several go 'rounds most of the cities in North Carolina swing to the left. The rural areas swing to the right. Asheville is definitely not the most liberal city in NC. That would go to Durham first and then Chapel Hill and Carrboro next.

State election results can be viewed on the state's website at https://www.ncsbe.gov/election-results In the presidential election 15 other counties including Wake, Durham, Orange, Mecklenburg, and Guilford went for Clinton at a higher percentage than Buncombe did.

What Asheville has that the other cities in NC don't have is obviously beautiful mountain scenery and proximity to lots of outdoor opportunities. It's a gorgeous place, no? That draws a lot of people.

Old 06-29-2017, 08:59 AM

730 posts, read 779,526 times
That could have been written in Austin 30 years ago.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:00 PM

526 posts, read 461,634 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
From the article:

I think this is the point that folks were making on that "Asheville lacks workers" thread.

Asheville might want to look at some of the tactics Chapel Hill has tried with affordable housing. It's still a huge sticking point for Chapel Hill because it's another highly desirable area and people keep moving in all the time and developers can make money on building new houses and apartments, but we have policies in place that require developers include affordable units in their developments or pay into an affordable housing fund. Town of Chapel Hill, NC : Affordable Housing

Y'know Asheville definitely has a hippie, liberal vibe, but going by the election results for the past several go 'rounds most of the cities in North Carolina swing to the left. The rural areas swing to the right. Asheville is definitely not the most liberal city in NC. That would go to Durham first and then Chapel Hill and Carrboro next.

State election results can be viewed on the state's website at https://www.ncsbe.gov/election-results In the presidential election 15 other counties including Wake, Durham, Orange, Mecklenburg, and Guilford went for Clinton at a higher percentage than Buncombe did.

What Asheville has that the other cities in NC don't have is obviously beautiful mountain sceneryand proximity to lots of outdoor opportunities. It's a gorgeous place, no? That draws a lot of people.
I always wondered why they put the Lowe's, Target and such on Airport Road. That area has some of the most awesome views sitting on airport road looking toward the shopping ctr.

Old 06-29-2017, 04:43 PM

2,103 posts, read 4,484,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bear Hunter View Post
I always wondered why they put the Lowe's, Target and such on Airport Road. That area has some of the most awesome views sitting on airport road looking toward the shopping ctr.
😂 I've always said the best views in town are at the targets.

Old 06-29-2017, 05:38 PM

902 posts, read 813,766 times
The Wal Mart in Weaverville has great views too. On the way out the door it reminds you on why you shouldn't be shopping there.

Old 06-29-2017, 09:21 PM

2,695 posts, read 3,784,794 times
Thanks for posting the article, QuilterChick. There's some truth in the Citizen Times article. I don't live in Asheville, but visit the area regularly to see family and friends. I thought about moving to the area, but getting a decent-paying job is the main reason I have not seriously considered it, perhaps I could move there as a retiree years down the road. I really like WNC overall.

Interestingly enough, these reviews (some old) on Moderator cut: Link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowedof living in Asheville complain about the lack of decent paying jobs and gridlock traffic.

Last edited by Yac; 06-30-2017 at 06:30 AM..

Old 07-07-2017, 02:17 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,921,203 times
You know if you look at the number of pages for W. NC verses other popular areas here on CD you'll see just how much interest and hype is going around. Currently it's 226 pages here, but other places like Madison (57), Ann Arbor (20), Burlington (22), Charlottesville (27), and even Boulder (67) have far less for being comparable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina