Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 07:50 AM

8,105 posts, read 6,751,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travel Crazy View Post
Yes but, think about it....that's what you want in order to build a broader understanding. PLENTY of people move here all starry-eyed based on one or two visits. But, like everywhere, visiting for a few days and living here are two different things.

My view of the weather is not the same as our friend from Michigan. I came here from Atlanta and the heat and humidity of the summer is an improvement for me. Only a couple of hot, sweaty months....sweet!
I happen to think the weather is one of the major assets to this area. Four distinct seasons and none overly long or intense. To me, it's close to perfect.

The hippie thing? I found it novel at first and it doesn't necessarily bother me now but I don't identify with that crowd at all and it is fairly large, in West AVL anyway. But, since we're delving into culture, it's fair to mention that this a town substantially of group-think and many can be very strident. For an open-minded person, ahem...like myself, it can be irritating and suffocating.

The two largest groups here: are mountain area people....most of whom have been here all their lives and are often from families who have been here for generations. They tend to be religious (Baptist), provincial, conservative, close to the vest and not especially open to creating new friendships as they're already full-up with that.

The other large crowd are: full-tilt liberals, mostly transplants of varying ages and from around the USA. Many of them are quite intense....rigid, narrow-minded, easily-triggered and very much in an echo chamber. So, you'd have to be ok with that or you may not like it here. Start perusing the online version of one our local papers including the reader comments to articles and especially the Letters to the Editor to get a sense of the culture. www.mountainx.com Another site for events, etc. Ashvegas - The city you love. The news you want.

If I was you, I'd want to determine if there was an adequate amount of people in my age range to socialize with b/c this is a small town, after-all. Check-out Meetup.com. I know there are a few groups that cater specifically to your age range.

The bear thing is not something I'd think about for 2 seconds. They're here but, in 4.5 years I've yet to see one so they wouldn't be a part of your regular life.
Excellent post! I'd second. Especially the part about the weather (I'm from NYC) and the whakadoo libbys.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2017, 08:55 AM

643 posts, read 670,257 times
Just as 'all news is local', so too is perception of the weather and what's hot and humid to one is comfortable to another. We monitor our indoor/outdoor temp and humidity on a daily basis and compare it to our old home in suburban Chicago and are surprised (very pleasantly!) how low the humidity is in comparison. When it's 78 here and humidity is 47%, the air is crystal clear, the sun is really hot so don't get me wrong - you'll sweat buckets working in a garden or whatever. But in Chicago that is a combination that would NEVER happen - 78 degrees and maybe 78% humidity if you're lucky. The days that I would call truly humid I can count on 2 hands in a year and to me that's pretty darn nice. Now compared to some parts of CO it might seem humid here - my son has lived in Gunnison, Carbondale and now Denver and notices the humidity here when he visits. We're in H'ville not A'ville so I'll leave the rest of the info for others to share. Oh, and the bears? We'd love to see one, never have. They're here, friends have issues with bird feeders on their mountain, but at our old house I'd have deer on my deck eating from my planters. Pick your wildlife ;-)

Old 09-15-2017, 03:49 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,350,237 times
Travel Crazy said: "..The other large crowd are: full-tilt liberals, mostly transplants of varying ages and from around the USA. Many of them are quite intense....rigid, narrow-minded, easily-triggered and very much in an echo chamber. So, you'd have to be ok with that or you may not like it here..."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Excellent post! I'd second. Especially the part about the weather (I'm from NYC) and the whakadoo libbys.
The same could be said about whakadoo conservatives: "..rigid, narrow-minded, easily-triggered and very much in an echo chamber..."

I think such talk belongs in POC.

Old 09-15-2017, 07:34 PM

[quote=crusinsusan;49530680]Travel Crazy said: "..The other large crowd are: full-tilt liberals, mostly transplants of varying ages and from around the USA. Many of them are quite intense....rigid, narrow-minded, easily-triggered and very much in an echo chamber. So, you'd have to be ok with that or you may not like it here..."

The same could be said about whakadoo conservatives: "..rigid, narrow-minded, easily-triggered and very much in an echo chamber..."

I think such talk belongs in POC.[/

We are trying to inform the OP about what he will find in Asheville, and that's mostly whakadoo libby's.
Also, I doubt very much that the OP will find information about whackadoo Libby's/conservatives specific to Asheville in the POC section of the forum.

Last edited by Above Average Bear; 09-15-2017 at 07:55 PM..

Old 09-15-2017, 08:47 PM

Poppycock. The adjective was unnecessary, as was the context involving "ridged and narrow minded".

Of course, we can also inform the OP that the further one goes from Asheville, the more one finds uneducated, mouth-breathing lunacy. But that's not the truth anymore than yours was. The only truth is that Asheville is a blue spot in a sea of red.

Do you see this thread devolving as a result of descriptives beyond vanilla labels? Due to taking shots at political ideologies?

That's rhetorical.

Old 09-15-2017, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crusinsusan View Post
Poppycock. The adjective was unnecessary, as was the context involving "ridged and narrow minded".

Of course, we can also inform the OP that the further one goes from Asheville, the more one finds uneducated, mouth-breathing lunacy. But that's not the truth anymore than yours was. The only truth is that Asheville is a blue spot in a sea of red.

Do you see this thread devolving as a result of descriptives beyond vanilla labels? Due to taking shots at political ideologies?

That's rhetorical.
Lol @ poppycock....old sport...

Old 09-15-2017, 09:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Above Average Bear View Post
Lol @ poppycock....old sport...
Classic.

Old 09-15-2017, 10:08 PM

1,348 posts, read 792,156 times
I must say that I do enjoy being right. It didn't take long for someone to get triggered; it happens often here.

crusinsusan - if I may borrow AAB's phrase, the whakadoo kicks in when someone, astonishingly, thinks they can speak for another person experience. And, further, when they don't comprehend the difference between fact and opinion. That happens a lot here also.

If someone's opinion/experience causes you negative feelings, that's your issue and in no way negates their views.

Frankly, your reaction and comments have proven what I asserted and you dismissed: "ridged and narrow minded".

Classic.

Old 09-16-2017, 04:55 AM

1,537 posts, read 1,912,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBuild View Post
I'm 28, self-employed (work remotely), single, male, pretty independent, laid back (don't drink alcohol or 'party' much) and an avid gym goer. I've been in Colorado Springs the past two years, but just don't see myself staying here despite how beautiful it is and all the hiking opportunities. I spent most my life in Minneapolis, MN, and have spent short stints (1 year or less) in DC, Columbia (SC), and Phoenix (AZ).
You don't drink, but want to move to Asheville? The three main reasons to be here are nature, weather, and beer.

If you're a bro-bodybuilder type then be prepared to catch a lot of crap for it.

Quote:
The Springs is experiencing tons of population influx since Denver is so crowded now and its driving living costs up rapidly (rent for a decent one-bed place is now around $1000+/month) and buying a place is even worse; not to mention everyone here is in the military, so meeting people/dating is a nightmare.
I think someone else mentioned it, but if not you're basically describing the situation here.

Dating in Asheville is going to depend on how developed your skills are and if you go for hippy/crystal-loving/hipster types. Otherwise you can always do what I did for a while & do day trips/weekend trips to other cities. For a single guy I'd recommend checking out Charleston, SC and Nashville as far as dating goes. Various college towns (to tailgate on game day) can be good as well.

Although somehow most people seem to find someone. Even the most homely people will talk about their husband/wife in conversation (and you'll just be sitting there wondering how in the hell they got anyone to go out with them in the first place).

This area is even smaller than Columbia/Colorado Springs (about 300k less in the metro) and if you're anything like me after about a year you'll run out of things to try. Although lots of hikes so that's a plus.

Quote:
Is it really that pricy to live in Asheville?

Also if it's realistic to find a studio or one-bed apartment in a relatively safe neighborhood of Asheville for $800ish per month?

Would $150-175k be able to get me a decent condo or small house (1 to 2 bed)?
Well...let me put it to you this way: It was either last year or earlier this year that Asheville became more expensive to live in than Minneapolis AND here's the kicker a lot of people in this area work part time for $10/hour or less. Personally I've made it work with a day job and a side biz though.

Usually what happens is people move here with stars in their eyes & then realize they actually have to eat so they move to Greenville, SC where there are more jobs that pay better (still not great though), a lower cost of living, and more "normal" people.

That craigslist post could be a scam at that price since last year nice places were going for $1,400 (average ones for $1,000-ish, & places 45 minutes outside of town for $600 IF you could find one).

$150k? Try doubling that. It'll probably be more a few years from now.

Not too long ago something like 16 buildings were bought up presumably to make them into higher-end boutique type stuff. One of the buildings definitely is headed that way, while the others are supposedly going to "stay the same" as the developers said, but in other properties they've bought then sold they flipped them for roughly double (so what's that tell you).

Also keep in mind a lot of the roads around here are smaller (in part due to the geographical limits and in part to the city taking a head in the sand approach) & gridlock traffic is common all the time now depending on time of day. A good rule of thumb is add 15-30 minutes to listed google travel times and double those if you're headed into the city on the weekend.

Old 09-16-2017, 08:14 AM

Quote:
...your reaction and comments have proven what I asserted and you dismissed: "ridged and narrow minded".
Sum:

"You're an idiot"

"Don't call me that"

"You're a sensitive idiot!"

Quote:
Classic.
The sincerest form of flattery.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina