Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-13-2017, 06:08 PM

9,361 posts, read 14,119,343 times

Advertisements

I would like to consider buying a home in WNC that is in a community of retirees with a few "built-in" socializing opportunities. But, I have two dogs that are a big part of my happiness and would need to bring them with me. Unfortunately I cannot always walk them 3 times a day while they do their business and would want to have an attractively fenced yard to play in, and where they can pee and poop. I would of course keep it all cleaned up and the dogs would not be left outside alone for more than a few minutes at a time.

So the big question is, are there any places that would accommodate this? Driving around Hendersonville area I did not see fences in places like Kenmure. How about elsewhere?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-14-2017, 07:49 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,552,885 times
To save time and effort, you would have to get in touch with a local Realtor to find such a community (IF there is one). The Realtors have access to all HOA documents.

Rules and regs are found in the HOA documents. (.... and, as far as I know Kenmure is not an over 55 community. It is a gated community, and the average home (not condo) there is over $500K -- and has very strict regulations regardless).

There are only 3 (as far as I know) over 55 communities in Henderson County, none of which allows fences. Your choices are nil or none, sorry.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:19 AM

644 posts, read 671,135 times
You might want to check into Dunroy on Rutledge. We rented a house there while building - it's a lovely community - and although I don't believe there are any age restrictions, the population is mostly over 55. There are restrictions on fencing but it is allowed with approval. See section I Dunroy Design and Development
There are also regular dog walkers who welcome a newcomer into their walks which makes for a nice way to meet the neighbors.

edited to add - I know of at least one home for sale there because it's the one we rented and there are at least 3 others under construction at the moment so you should have some option.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by luv4horses View Post
I would like to consider buying a home in WNC that is in a community of retirees with a few "built-in" socializing opportunities. But, I have two dogs that are a big part of my happiness and would need to bring them with me. Unfortunately I cannot always walk them 3 times a day while they do their business and would want to have an attractively fenced yard to play in, and where they can pee and poop. I would of course keep it all cleaned up and the dogs would not be left outside alone for more than a few minutes at a time.

So the big question is, are there any places that would accommodate this? Driving around Hendersonville area I did not see fences in places like Kenmure. How about elsewhere?

There are several very nice subdivisions in Henderson County. It would be easier for us to give you more information if you can mention your price range.

Old 11-14-2017, 09:54 AM

QC, its all about value really. Haven't decided yet on having one or two homes. And it doesn't really matter for a response to this question although below 500K would be nice.

As for age restricted, I was just hoping to avoid basketball hoops in driveways and kiddies taking over all the amenities. Some organized stuff for older folks would be nice as well.

DLM2000, on your advice I looked up Duroy and it is interesting. The covenants do state a 'small fenced area for pets' is allowed behind the house. Just how small would be my question. I have not been to that area so will drive by next time I visit.

Adding--I will get a realtor but with all the details in HOA docs I just thought it would be easier to tap some local eyes-on knowledge first.

Old 11-14-2017, 10:26 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,387,275 times
Quote:
QC, its all about value really. Haven't decided yet on having one or two homes. And it doesn't really matter for a response to this question although below 500K would be nice.

As for age restricted, I was just hoping to avoid basketball hoops in driveways and kiddies taking over all the amenities. Some organized stuff for older folks would be nice as well.

DLM2000, on your advice I looked up Duroy and it is interesting. The covenants do state a 'small fenced area for pets' is allowed behind the house. Just how small would be my question. I have not been to that area so will drive by next time I visit.

Adding--I will get a realtor but with all the details in HOA docs I just thought it would be easier to tap some local eyes-on knowledge first.
Not trying to be snarky, but a good realtor IS the eyes-on local knowledge. Its their business, day in and day out. If a poster on here just happens to be in the exact same situation as you, then they might have some valuable insight, but otherwise, its basically just random information that might or might not be useful. (And I am in no way attempting to impugn or insult any posters).

Old 11-15-2017, 07:43 AM

FWIW I do have an excellent realtor who I have been using but this subforum covers a much wider area. Thank you all for your help so far. It does not look promising unfortunately unless you have a specific type of lifestyle.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:39 AM

Quote:
FWIW I do have an excellent realtor who I have been using but this subforum covers a much wider area. Thank you all for your help so far. It does not look promising unfortunately unless you have a specific type of lifestyle.

We don't have access to any HOA docs other than any in our own subdivision(s). These are legal documents you need to get either at the City Hall or from your own Realtor. Best wishes.

Old 11-15-2017, 08:53 AM

644 posts, read 671,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
We don't have access to any HOA docs other than any in our own subdivision(s). These are legal documents you need to get either at the City Hall or from your own Realtor. Best wishes.
As renters we did not have access to the HOA docs - I pulled the ones for Dunroy online and remember looking at many others online when we were still in the house hunting phase. Never hurts to do a simple search - Name of subdivision and the specific documents you are interested in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina