Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2018, 10:56 AM

3 posts, read 2,321 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are moving to Asheville from Cincinnati, OH next month. He will be working very close to downtown.

Our housing budget is 350K, max 375K.

We are looking for a house/townhouse/condo with at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 1,500 sq ft. We'd LOVE more space than 1,500 but 1,500 is the absolute smallest I think we can do, fitting in all the beds/baths. We do (hopefully!!) expect to raise 2 kids in this house within the next few years. Areas with young fun families is a plus but not mandatory.

We also would strongly prefer this home to have a backyard area that we can fence in so that our corgi can exercise (or, TBH, probably just sleep/dig) outside. (An existing fence would obviously be amazing but it's not necessarily driving this search. If it's there, cool. If not, whatever. But, at bare minimum, we need a home with the actual space to put one up eventually.)

As far as style and vibe, we like all of the normal stuff that won't be doable in this price range lol (Nice finishes, open floor plan, natural light, lots of windows, beautiful designer kitchen...again lol). This stuff is not as important to us as the space, size, yard and community area. We are willing to compromise on design choices we can fix over time. We are also willing to be the "worst house on the street" if our budget has room for updates and the community is worth it!

We realize that with this budget, our options are still very limited. I've been monitoring new house listings in the AVL market to get a better understanding of normal sale pace, etc. Clearly the family houses in our price range are moving quickly, in all areas of the city.

So - I'm totally aware that we won't be in a position to handpick a neighborhood ahead of time to get but we'd appreciate any info you can offer relative to places and areas that will realistically work for our budget. Definitely considering all communities about 30 minutes to/from downtown Asheville as well! We know very little about towns surrounding Asheville proper, so any advice in this realm is especially helpful.

Any insight or advice is appreciated

Thank you!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2018, 11:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times
I assume the quality of the public schools is a major factor for you? If so, my recommendation is to research the schools, and hone in on the ones you like, get the attendance zones maps for the school system, and then get a good realtor to start finding houses for you in those areas.

This is a good source of school information: https://ncreportcards.ondemand.sas.com/src

Old 02-09-2018, 12:30 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,564,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana62715 View Post
My husband and I are moving to Asheville from Cincinnati, OH next month. He will be working very close to downtown.

Our housing budget is 350K, max 375K.

We are looking for a house/townhouse/condo with at least 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 1,500 sq ft. We'd LOVE more space than 1,500 but 1,500 is the absolute smallest I think we can do, fitting in all the beds/baths. We do (hopefully!!) expect to raise 2 kids in this house within the next few years. Areas with young fun families is a plus but not mandatory.

We also would strongly prefer this home to have a backyard area that we can fence in so that our corgi can exercise (or, TBH, probably just sleep/dig) outside. (An existing fence would obviously be amazing but it's not necessarily driving this search. If it's there, cool. If not, whatever. But, at bare minimum, we need a home with the actual space to put one up eventually.)

As far as style and vibe, we like all of the normal stuff that won't be doable in this price range lol (Nice finishes, open floor plan, natural light, lots of windows, beautiful designer kitchen...again lol). This stuff is not as important to us as the space, size, yard and community area. We are willing to compromise on design choices we can fix over time. We are also willing to be the "worst house on the street" if our budget has room for updates and the community is worth it!

We realize that with this budget, our options are still very limited. I've been monitoring new house listings in the AVL market to get a better understanding of normal sale pace, etc. Clearly the family houses in our price range are moving quickly, in all areas of the city.

So - I'm totally aware that we won't be in a position to handpick a neighborhood ahead of time to get but we'd appreciate any info you can offer relative to places and areas that will realistically work for our budget. Definitely considering all communities about 30 minutes to/from downtown Asheville as well! We know very little about towns surrounding Asheville proper, so any advice in this realm is especially helpful.

Any insight or advice is appreciated

Thank you!!!!

Do you only have one month to search, get a mtg., and move in to a home? Have you been searching on www.Realtor.com ? If not, I'd strongly suggest you do some online searching first and contact an experienced agent to save you time and aggravation. The r/e market here is brisk, to say the least. 30 minutes from downtown Asheville covers a large expanse of area. You definitely need a good agent to narrow things down for you according to your needs.

Best wishes on your new venture.

Old 02-09-2018, 01:56 PM

That's a good question. To clarify, we have to sell our home in Cincinnati before purchasing in Asheville. His start date is a month away, hence the "move date".

Our market is similar to Asheville- very quick turnover, no inventory but quite a bit cheaper. Our current home is a condo in a very popular area. At best, our true purchasing timeline is likely 2-3 months out.

We are currently working a realtor in NC. He's keeping an eye out for homes in a few areas we initially identified (Norwood Park, Montford) but he's told us that they are very unrealistic and to explore other options. This forum has proven to be a great starting point to figure out alternative locations within the city but (beyond price point/individual house listings) we're struggling to get a feel for:

- Mills River
- Candler
- Arden
- Leicester
- Fletcher
- Weaverville
- Hendersonville

Any tips? Thank you for responding!

Old 02-09-2018, 01:58 PM

Thank you! This is super helpful.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:08 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,394,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ana62715 View Post
That's a good question. To clarify, we have to sell our home in Cincinnati before purchasing in Asheville. His start date is a month away, hence the "move date".

Our market is similar to Asheville- very quick turnover, no inventory but quite a bit cheaper. Our current home is a condo in a very popular area. At best, our true purchasing timeline is likely 2-3 months out.

We are currently working a realtor in NC. He's keeping an eye out for homes in a few areas we initially identified (Norwood Park, Montford) but he's told us that they are very unrealistic and to explore other options. This forum has proven to be a great starting point to figure out alternative locations within the city but (beyond price point/individual house listings) we're struggling to get a feel for:

- Mills River
- Candler
- Arden
- Leicester
- Fletcher
- Weaverville
- Hendersonville

Any tips? Thank you for responding!
Use Google maps to give you an idea of the commute time from various places. (Tip: you can adjust for time of departure to get actual times during rush hour) For example Hendersonville can be an hour and half or more from downtown Asheville.

Old 02-09-2018, 06:29 PM

4,793 posts, read 10,624,289 times
Not pushing any area around 'Asheville', but you might expand your radius, eg 35+ miles.

That daily commute isn't cake...not as packed as Cinci area, as in Newport, et al up into Cinci, but depending upon where in Asheville for work, it can be annoying as the annual traffic increase over the past couple decades has become considerable.

Your budget is a difficult bar, though in outlying areas it may be more doable.

Hope you have an RE agent on the ball...
GL, mD
Attached Thumbnails
ISO neighborhood info for communities in/near AVL-35-mile-radius-around-asheville-nc.jpg  

Last edited by motordavid; 02-09-2018 at 07:24 PM..

Old 02-09-2018, 09:15 PM

38 posts, read 43,638 times
I love the communities on the north side of Asheville...Weaverville and Burnsville especially. We purchased a rental property in Burnsville last summer and have truly fallen in love with the “Mayberry/Norman Rockwell” feel, friendly faces, strong sense of community, and more affordable housing. If you live on the west side, you can make it to downtown Asheville in 35 mins. Not sure about rush hour on 26 between the two, but I’m sure it’s nothing like the south side of Asheville. Leicester is also beautiful but accessibility is not as good IMO and schools are rated very low. PM me if you ever want to talk more! We are planning to move our Family up full time from Florida this summer

Old 03-05-2018, 08:36 AM

5,949 posts, read 5,120,033 times
I am interested in Burnsville, NC and would appreciate any information you care to share with me. I am almost 76, retired lady who will be moving from central New York state. I am not planning to buy a house. More interested in an apartment -- don't know if there are low-income apartments available but will do online search. If you happen to know of any, I'd like to hear about them.

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina