Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2018, 02:49 PM

272 posts, read 204,925 times

Advertisements

Noticed that the the Yellow Jackets (certainly NOT the NCAA FB team that lost to Duke yesterday) have started to become much more prevalent and aggressive the last 2 days.

I must have at least 1 nest near my cabin because I can hardly go out without gaining the attention of 1+ Yellow Jackets. No stings or bites, but they are definitely interested in any movement outside. None of the obvious attractants are present (e.g., light colored clothing, sugar, garbage, etc.), but one managed to find its way into the cabin which I promptly dispatched with my sponge dart gun.

I need to scout for ground nests around the cabin when the sun is out tomorrow and foam them. Perhaps time for the jeans, gloves, railroad shirt and hat. Advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2018, 03:11 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,344,694 times
You can also just put a heavy glass bowl on the nest. That's what we did a few years ago when our poor dog stepped on a nest in our yard in Boone. She got stung 3 or 4 times and they got me once. Put the bowl over it and they see the light so they try to come out, but then they can't.

Yellow Jacket

https://www.motherearthnews.com/orga...kets-technique

Old 10-14-2018, 05:00 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,222,483 times
We seemed to have missed out on the Yellow jackets in the southern Willamette valley, Oregon. I did get nailed by a wasp last week. That stung like nobodies business and my hand swelled up for a few days. We usually run into Yellow Jackets when we're messing with siding, they apparently love building nests behind the boards.

Old 10-15-2018, 05:17 AM

272 posts, read 204,925 times
I'll have to try the glass bowl technique for the next nest I find in the yard. Seems they like stumps and large rocks around here...

Old 10-15-2018, 07:04 AM

4,791 posts, read 10,615,390 times
Yes, to scouting their nests, either in ground or above ground in daytime, but be careful: they are very aggressive this time of year, eg hungry/storing up for winter...

By dusk, they are all back in their colony and then use your fave method of blasting the the colony: the long projectile 'wasp/hornet' spray from HD, Walmart et al works, as does any of the stuff for sale on the net.

I have seen vids of people pouring gas, etc down the ground holes and tossing a match, but fire is a risk from that method.

Dusk to dark is the time to nail the nests: they don't see well in low light and most/all are cooped up for the night.
GL, mD

Old 10-15-2018, 08:03 AM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times
While walking with Monty in one of my fields, I noticed a hole in the ground the size of a half dollar and YJ flying in and out, later in the eve I gave 'em a pint of 87 octane, down the hatch, never to bee seen again.

The other day I noticed the YJ flying in and out of a stone retainer wall in my side yard, for the past few nights I've been spraying into the crevice with bee & hornet poison, without success, oh well, there's always tonight, tomorrow, the next night, and on and onward...We'll get 'em !

Last edited by bgrasser; 10-15-2018 at 08:15 AM..

Old 10-15-2018, 08:37 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,055,843 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bgrasser View Post
While walking with Monty in one of my fields, I noticed a hole in the ground the size of a half dollar and YJ flying in and out, later in the eve I gave 'em a pint of 87 octane, down the hatch, never to bee seen again.

The other day I noticed the YJ flying in and out of a stone retainer wall in my side yard, for the past few nights I've been spraying into the crevice with bee & hornet poison, without success, oh well, there's always tonight, tomorrow, the next night, and on and onward...We'll get 'em !

93 octane.... No Yellow Jacket knocking

Old 10-15-2018, 12:03 PM

1,555 posts, read 2,521,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
93 octane.... No yellow jacket knocking :d:d:d
+1

Old 10-15-2018, 02:12 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,074,863 times
We had a huge nest by our front door under one of the steps made out of railroad ties. We had no idea until our poor dogs got attacked They were all over inside the house because they were all over them. We had to get multiple cans of was spray and spray them several times. The evening is best when they are less active. You will have to do this for 3-4 days in a row. We got rid of the tie but we still see one or two occasionally. They are vicious. Good luck!

Old 10-16-2018, 07:54 AM

1,543 posts, read 1,534,723 times
Found a nest in my yard last year. We waited until dusk and poured gas into two adjacent holes about 10 feet apart. Lit a paper towel with a match and poked it down each entrance. Success! We have not seen anymore YJ, and so far have not seen any this year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina