Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2024, 04:11 AM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times

Advertisements

Most forecasts claim big accuracy numbers, but it's only because they update it every 10 minutes, or whenever a "weathercaster" looks out a window and SEES changing conditions.
I can look out a window and tell you its snowing and be 100% accurate too.

Speaking of snow, we got 8+ inches since yesterday afternoon here at Beech Mt. It's about 28 degrees and this is the high for the day. It will be dropping into the minus numbers by late evening.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2024, 05:35 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
This has been a weird system.

Usually, the mountains of NC get more snow than the lowlands of TN, but that was kind of flipped this time - with the worst snow being basically north to south. Here in Madison County NC at 2100’, it just rained. It’s 30 this morning with high winds and falling temperatures throughout the the day, but the precip is pretty much gone. My TN house has several inches, looking at my cameras.

It’s also going to be cold for an extended period. The next ten days or so are going to be rough - the weekend after this coming one looks to be back in the 50s.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:33 AM

2,017 posts, read 5,110,297 times
Exactly. What gets me is that meteorologists are wrong so much of the time and they still get paid extremely well. Statistically, The Old Farmer's Almanac is more correct than weathermen, and that's printed a year in advance. The old ways mountain folk and farmers used to predict the weather seemed to be pretty accurate, too.

You have more snow that Minneapolis has gotten all winter. Last winter, we were buried in it. Even living in the city, the snow piles from the sidewalk were 5' tall. I had nowhere else to put the snow. This winter, than God, it's been record setting mild. This last storm we were predicted to get 6-10". We got .3". Altogether, from October through today, I've only shoveled less than 3" and all but the last .3" has melted. First non-white Christmas we've had in a very long time.

I like the Beech Mountain area a lot (based on research, not having been there yet). I'm still trying to figure out if I want that much snow anymore though. It's not a matter of roads or getting snowed in. I can handle that. I just really am over shoveling. That's why I'm favoring Cherokee, Clay, and Macon Counties more than others. You still get enough cold to enjoy a warm fire and, when it snows, it's a novelty and short-lived. But, I really like Madison, Avery, Yancey counties. Almost any of the border counties, actually.

Speaking of climate in the mountains, is there anything I should know about where my new house is situated or facing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
Most forecasts claim big accuracy numbers, but it's only because they update it every 10 minutes, or whenever a "weathercaster" looks out a window and SEES changing conditions.
I can look out a window and tell you its snowing and be 100% accurate too.

Speaking of snow, we got 8+ inches since yesterday afternoon here at Beech Mt. It's about 28 degrees and this is the high for the day. It will be dropping into the minus numbers by late evening.

Old 01-16-2024, 07:45 AM

It's been a weird system for everyone. It's not a naturally occurring pattern for sure. The realtor in TN I'd been in touch with is in shock over it because it goes against everything he's been telling his clients.

Here in Minneapolis, when we get rain instead of snow (in the winter) it makes for very dangerous conditions. We just came out of record highs and were plunged into sub-zero temps. It's going to stay that way here, too, for a while. But, looking at the monthly calendar on Accuweather, we'll soon be back up to record highs. I doubt we'll get a foot of snow (in total) this winter.

The world is definitely not experiencing naturally occurring weather right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
This has been a weird system.

Usually, the mountains of NC get more snow than the lowlands of TN, but that was kind of flipped this time - with the worst snow being basically north to south. Here in Madison County NC at 2100’, it just rained. It’s 30 this morning with high winds and falling temperatures throughout the the day, but the precip is pretty much gone. My TN house has several inches, looking at my cameras.

It’s also going to be cold for an extended period. The next ten days or so are going to be rough - the weekend after this coming one looks to be back in the 50s.

Old 01-16-2024, 08:13 AM

5,459 posts, read 6,058,580 times
If i were looking for the least possible amount of snowfall in WNC, I'd stay away from Western or Northern slopes, especially about 4000 feet of altitude. We are on the North facing slope of Beech and we usually get more snow (1/2 to 4 inches more) per snowfall than the Banner Elk side or even the SW side of the "hill". There have been many a time when I've left our 5000+ foot elevation and run out of the snow line once I cross below 3700'-4000'.

Over the past 25 years I have watched the High Country weather become slightly milder with each 5 year period. If this continues, the climate you are probably looking for will be at a higher elevation in the next 5 years or so.

Old 01-16-2024, 09:32 AM

35,083 posts, read 31,331,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simple Living View Post
It's been a weird system for everyone. It's not a naturally occurring pattern for sure. The realtor in TN I'd been in touch with is in shock over it because it goes against everything he's been telling his clients.

Here in Minneapolis, when we get rain instead of snow (in the winter) it makes for very dangerous conditions. We just came out of record highs and were plunged into sub-zero temps. It's going to stay that way here, too, for a while. But, looking at the monthly calendar on Accuweather, we'll soon be back up to record highs. I doubt we'll get a foot of snow (in total) this winter.

The world is definitely not experiencing naturally occurring weather right now.
We finally got a dusting in Madison County.

I have to be in downtown Asheville in a couple of hours. I'm not looking forward to walking into the building where I need to go.

I will say WNC usually does a lot better job of snow removal than east TN. I haven't seen anything on the local station here in WNC about impassable interstates and other primary roads. The two main interstates where I'm at in TN, along with main city roads, are all to hell. This was forecast days in advance - the storm has played out exactly as forecasted, so it's not like this is a surprise. They've completely dropped the ball.

Also, keep in mind that people in both areas will tend to wipe out the grocery stores when snow is forecasted. We stopped at Ingles yesterday in Weaverville, and it was low on a lot of items.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but Ingles is just a far superior chain to the main chain (Food City) in east TN. Food City is much lower end, and especially the big Ingles offer a much wider selection. I actually get most of my grocery store items in NC, with Aldi and Walmart stuff being my main exceptions.

Old 01-16-2024, 11:39 AM

6,353 posts, read 11,598,384 times
Bristol and Johnson City are not showing road backups at 1:30 pm. One wreck on 81 is all. Compare that to Knoxville and especially Huntsville, AL.

Not that the OP needs to go anywhere, but google maps can be a good tool to see how a town handles snow.

Old 01-16-2024, 02:38 PM

Yeah, I'm starting to lean more towards wanting the cold, where snow is more of a temporary amusement to enjoy. It's warmer today. Only -10°F wind chills, so I just got back from a 4.5 mile walk to Aldi. It wasn't bad except one stretch where I had to really hunch over because I was walking into the wind. (I lost my hat and scarf, so that wasn't fun.) Actually, the worst part was that I forgot to buy hot chocolate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by getatag View Post
If i were looking for the least possible amount of snowfall in WNC, I'd stay away from Western or Northern slopes, especially about 4000 feet of altitude. We are on the North facing slope of Beech and we usually get more snow (1/2 to 4 inches more) per snowfall than the Banner Elk side or even the SW side of the "hill". There have been many a time when I've left our 5000+ foot elevation and run out of the snow line once I cross below 3700'-4000'.

Over the past 25 years I have watched the High Country weather become slightly milder with each 5 year period. If this continues, the climate you are probably looking for will be at a higher elevation in the next 5 years or so.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:05 PM

As a northerner, East TN's reaction to just the threat of snow always made me laugh. Everything is canceled and every grocery store sells out of milk, bread, and beer. East TN definitely suffers from Snow Panic. From the sounds of it, they haven't improved one bit when it comes to dealing with snow either. When I lived there, it took them days to even get out to remove it.

The south doesn't get regular snowfall/storms so the reactions are completely understandable. If anything, the locals will think I'm the crazy one when they see me outside in shorts, t-shirt and flip flops when the temps are in the 20's and 30's. That's not cold to me whatsoever. That's just free air-conditioning.

Coming from snow country, I can at least say that folks here are orderly and don't panic when it comes to buying some groceries before a storm. Most folks don't even bother because MN is great at plowing and treating the roads here.

When I get to WNC, especially since I'll be pretty rural, I plan to stay as stocked up as possible so there won't be a need for last minute shopping if a storm is coming. One thing I learned when I lived in very rural locations and shopping was some distance away, you make a day or of it and make it worth the trip. And if you don't have something, you simply do without. Like today, I forgot to buy hot chocolate. Bummer. As it is, I only buy toiletries, paper towels, and kitchen supplies once a year. (Deodorant, shampoo, soap, tinfoil, plastic wrap, toothbrushes, toothpaste, shaving cream, razors, Q-Tips, etc.,) I'm just one person so it's a simple trip to Costco.

I'm looking forward to checking out Ingles and all the grocery stores I've never been to before. That'll be fun for me. One thing city life has spoiled me with is plenty of grocery items to choose from.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
We finally got a dusting in Madison County.

I have to be in downtown Asheville in a couple of hours. I'm not looking forward to walking into the building where I need to go.

I will say WNC usually does a lot better job of snow removal than east TN. I haven't seen anything on the local station here in WNC about impassable interstates and other primary roads. The two main interstates where I'm at in TN, along with main city roads, are all to hell. This was forecast days in advance - the storm has played out exactly as forecasted, so it's not like this is a surprise. They've completely dropped the ball.

Also, keep in mind that people in both areas will tend to wipe out the grocery stores when snow is forecasted. We stopped at Ingles yesterday in Weaverville, and it was low on a lot of items.

I don't know if I mentioned this, but Ingles is just a far superior chain to the main chain (Food City) in east TN. Food City is much lower end, and especially the big Ingles offer a much wider selection. I actually get most of my grocery store items in NC, with Aldi and Walmart stuff being my main exceptions.

Old 01-16-2024, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
Bristol and Johnson City are not showing road backups at 1:30 pm. One wreck on 81 is all. Compare that to Knoxville and especially Huntsville, AL.

Not that the OP needs to go anywhere, but google maps can be a good tool to see how a town handles snow.
Absolutely. It's useful here in Minnesota, too. Moving to WNC, I'm going to have a whole new state of highways and back roads to learn. Learning where everything is is something I'm not looking forward to. But, the worst thing about moving, for me, is always the first few nights in a new place, getting used to and identifying all the new noises.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina