Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2008, 04:49 PM

7 posts, read 23,267 times

Advertisements

We are thinking about looking at The Settings at Lake Rhodiss in Valdese. Can someone tell me anything about this community? Is there decent shopping, dining, etc.? How is the weather in the summer? Hot and humid? Any help is much appreciated as we know very little about the area.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2008, 05:24 PM

1,242 posts, read 3,762,537 times
I have said on these boards many times that the year around weather pattern between Morganton and Lenoir and, to a lesser extent, the Valdese area is a good one. It is protected by the mountains.
It may get a little sticky during the days in July and August but generally it cools off in the evenings.
Valdese has small supermarkets, a few fast food chains and drug stores but, the majority of your shopping will be a bit east in Hickory which is an easy drive.
A big plus for Hickory/Valdese is the location: One hour to Charlotte Airport which is an easy drive down US 321with no stop lights. Asheville is one hour via a scenic drive west on I-40.
One hour north to Boone and you can go skiing in the winter or to cooler temperatures in the summer months.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:02 AM

648 posts, read 2,981,650 times
All I know about the Settings are that it's gated, and they've paid for space on about a half dozen billboards on I-40. And as hapalee says, it's an hour from anything

Old 04-13-2008, 02:12 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,545,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cooperwx View Post
All I know about the Settings are that it's gated, and they've paid for space on about a half dozen billboards on I-40. And as hapalee says, it's an hour from anything
Nothing says "hi neighbor. I'd like to move into your community and become a part of it" like a gate and a guard.

Cause there is sure as hell nothing to be scared of in Valdese, as contrary to the opinion of many not from here, rednecks (that would be people from here) are really nice people, especially if they are treated as equals, which they are.

Old 04-14-2008, 10:55 PM

6,048 posts, read 18,435,414 times
"The Settings"?
Now that's a new name for a subdivision. So they designate an aperture and focus for your house???

Old 04-22-2008, 09:38 AM

7 posts, read 23,267 times
Ok, Ashville Native, I can completely understand your distaste for gated communities popping up amongst quaint, established towns. I'm not sure why a gate would be necessary because Valdese is not exactly a high crime area. The problem is, the developers package beautiful lakes with mountains, put up a gate and presto chango -- you have an expensive place to live. Unfortunately, you can't put the genie back in the bottle and this is a formula that works, so the developers will keep doing it. If there wasn’t a gate, but beautiful homes were built in a great location and outsiders moved into those homes, would you still feel the same way?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina