Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina
 [Register]
Western North Carolina The Mountain Region including Asheville
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-06-2007, 07:27 PM

8 posts, read 43,349 times

Advertisements

Hello. I have been researching the Asheville area for a little over six months considering relocation from, you guessed it, Florida. Pls, don't hate me already. I have tried my best to find information on the school systems, but have not been satisfied with my findings. Here in a suburb of Orlando, where I grew up, the school systems are very adamant about their ratings within the state grading system. Most of them in my area are A+ schools. Academically they are great and their athletic departments are the best in the central Fl area. From what I have read and heard from friends I have in the A'ville area about the public schools is not comforting. Many of my friends are of the ‘new age’ mindset and are really pushing alternative schools. This is something I am not interested in. I am more interested in the traditional teaching methods that most Universities will accept. I have considered private school, (my son is 4 and will start kindergarten in the fall 08') as my son is currently enrolled in a private Christian school here in Fl. Carolina Day School and Asheville Christian Academy are the two I have looked into, but being a single mom I’m afraid I can’t afford the tuition. My daughter is still an infant, but I would like to find a great school for both of my children. My son is very active in sports and we just got offered a limited position from a great instructor for private lessons due to his already advanced skills. Not only academics but an impressive athletic program is high on the priority list. Any suggestions would be great, as I am open to all of them. I would like to keep them in a Christian centered environment(God willing), but I realize that I may have to compromise on this. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Nawocks2; 10-06-2007 at 08:19 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2007, 06:57 AM

41 posts, read 113,631 times
hi,
we are planning to move in wnc close to asheville and I am very interested in kindergarten and school activities too. I was also looking for a house in a nice area that have any activities or special spaces for children.
I'll keep my eyes on your add

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 AM

12 posts, read 36,768 times
Did you try this site?

NC School Report Cards

It should answer all of your questions. Good luck.

Old 10-07-2007, 07:34 AM

12 posts, read 36,768 times
Actually, let me rephrase, the NC School Report Cards website won't answer "all" of your questions, such as whether "new age" philosophy is being pushed or its a Christian-centered enviornment, but it will give you statistics on how well the public schools are doing based on certain state criteria.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:12 PM

124 posts, read 815,914 times
If you end up living in east Asheville area, Asheville Christian Academy is a good school. There is also Veritas Christian Academy near Henderson County, in Fletcher. Has a great reputation too.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:21 PM

8 posts, read 43,349 times
thank you all for your help. As you can imagine it is difficult to research and really get a feel for the area over the internet. I have plans to visit at the end of the month. It will be a very busy four days as I have interviews with potential employers and potential schools. Again, I appreciate all your insight. Take care.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Western North Carolina